Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Unicorn came along - Pulled the trigger on used P85D!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I wasn't planning on making this post so soon (my current Mercedes EV lease goes through October), but The Unicorn for me came along and I couldn't resist. Fully loaded P85D, but with a fair amount of mileage. Appears to be in pretty good shape though, aside from deep marks/indentations on the back headrests (which will probably be covered up by my own kids’ large carseats). I grabbed it for $44,100. What do you think?

2014 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H20EFP63727 | False, Fa | Tesla

2014 P85D (original delivery date 1/1/2015)
- 75,000 miles
- Pearl White, cosmetically looks pretty good with only minor chips/dings
- Black Next gen seats, front and rear
- 19" Cyclone wheels (I would have traded 21s in for these for ride quality and pothole-proofing anyway)
- AP1, obviously
- Rear-facing seats (the only mandatory option for my general searches. The following features bumped it up to my Unicorn)
- Panoramic sunroof (I asked if V1 or V2 and they didn't know; I'm assuming V1 based on late 2014 build date)
- Premium upgrade package
- Subzero Package
- UHFS
- Smart Air Suspension
- Dual chargers

The obvious reservation is that there are a lot of miles. They told me that nothing has been replaced on the car - drive unit, battery, MCU, door handles all original and reportedly working normally. So I will just have to hope that any expensive stuff goes bad in the next 2 years or not at all.

Big thanks to @EV-CPO subscription. I had several email alerts set up just for research and planning purposes, but this was the first one for "The Unicorn" (the actual name of my configuration - I know it's not a true Unicorn in the sense of e.g. P85+ with AP, but now it's My Unicorn). This car was a little outside my budget, so I brought it to my wife to have her talk me out of it, and the opposite happened!

Car is at the Boston area Manheim right now. I don't want to pay to have it shipped since I'm in the East anyway, but you have to be a MA resident to take delivery in Boston. So, they're shipping it for free to Paramus, NJ, and I'll just fly there and drive it home (10.5 hour drive not counting Supercharging stops). Almost all of my configuration matches were out West, so the fact that this one is in the East and I don't have to deal with shipping is another Unicorn feature, really.

I'm in the unusual position of not minding a long, drawn-out process to get my car since I can't get out of my Mercedes B-Class EV lease until October anyway. Good thing it's only $300/mo, not a dealbreaker to have that overlap with my Tesla for a few months.

Pretty excited!

Did you mention + suspension? I’m pretty sure I had this one bookmarked & it disappeared late yesterday afternoon. It was the only P85D+ showing up in EV-CPO on Thursday. I can’t recall if the location was Mass or showing up as Other / Unknown.

Anyway, GL with the pickup & enjoy the drive home!

Beautiful car; identical to mine :D All original door handles you say? wow.

I would be finding out if they have done any maintenance on it: air conditioning service, brake fluid changed, sunroof cleaned/lubed, and callipers serviced. If not get er done.

Oh! I didn't realize it had the plus suspension! I couldn't tell in the order sheet Tesla sent me, so I had to log back into EV-CPO's archived listings to find my car and look at the options.

Plus suspension is there. I wasn't really looking for that but I'll take it. Could anyone who has the plus suspension comment on the impact on ride quality? I prize a smoother ride over insane cornering abilities.

Oh! I didn't realize it had the plus suspension! I couldn't tell in the order sheet Tesla sent me, so I had to log back into EV-CPO's archived listings to find my car and look at the options.

Plus suspension is there. I wasn't really looking for that but I'll take it. Could anyone who has the plus suspension comment on the impact on ride quality? I prize a smoother ride over insane cornering abilities.

My P85D+ had the performance suspension, while great for cornering, at times I felt like I needed a kidney belt due to the "firmness". My current, AP2 S90D is less of a cornering machine, but a more comfortable cruiser.

Could anyone who has the plus suspension comment on the impact on ride quality? I prize a smoother ride over insane cornering abilities.

First, congrats on getting a P85D+!

Second, the + suspension is kind of a religious thing around here. There are those of us who love it, and would never buy another Tesla without it (which really only leaves P85D and P85+ versions). We come from a sports-sedan background (think BMW M5 or Merc AMG level cars). It is a firm suspension and really handles the curves. It's not for everyone. That said, if you're used to sport sedans, it should be fine. If your used to mushy boat cruisers, then it might feel a little rough. But everyone has a different opinion. Just get the car and see --- I'm sure you'll love it regardless.

Third, I drive from CT to outside Charlotte every summer. I've taken a few different routes. It's a pretty good one-day drive. Start early if you can. I'd strongly suggest taking the inland route (Allentown, PA, Mt Jackson, Wytheville, etc) than the coastal route (I-95 + I-40). The mountain route is so much more relaxing and enjoyable (and less traffic).

Reactions: BrokerDon
Congrats from a fellow P85D+ owner. With the 19s, I don’t think you’ll think the suspension is too stiff. Lots of sidewall there vs 21s. You’ll have to update us after you give a few Insane/Insane+ launches to your friends and fam. :)

We've put fabulous 42,000 miles on March 2015 built P85D+ and still absolutely love it.

Launch your "muscle car" buddies a couple of times and see if they still love their "muscle cars". NOBODY who's been on a P85D+ Insane or Ludicrous launch has ever wanted to return to their "sluggish" muscle cars unless going to a road course race track or where you can drive 80+ MPH. Pretty much every Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes driver in car crazy Newport Beach CA won't race our PXXD's since they either know the stats... or have been on the losing side of a drag race.
61DPfwotrkL._SL1500_.jpg

@commasign - I know there are volumes of threads about 3G vs LTE, but just from your point of view, was LTE upgrade worth it? I've read that it's faster but seems to have spottier service, though most of those threads are from 2015 when the changeover happened so maybe it's improved since then.

I really busted the bank getting this car so any upgrades will have to be piecemeal and delayed, but the LTE seems like an immediate-benefit type of thing.

@commasign - I know there are volumes of threads about 3G vs LTE, but just from your point of view, was LTE upgrade worth it? I've read that it's faster but seems to have spottier service, though most of those threads are from 2015 when the changeover happened so maybe it's improved since then.

I really busted the bank getting this car so any upgrades will have to be piecemeal and delayed, but the LTE seems like an immediate-benefit type of thing.
We have three Model S; two LTE and one is 3G. The latter is the first one we had so, naturally, anytime we had failures to load or delay in loading I assumed LTE would fix all of our problems. Now that we have two Model S cars equipped with LTE I'm firmly in the camp that doesn't believe it makes a difference. If anything, the load times may be slightly quicker but it's nearly imperceptible and I think that signal strength plays more of a role in this than the actual technology used. The browser still sucks no matter the connection. Music streams are nearly identical. I say nearly because maybe the songs load slightly quicker but that may also be placebo since I want to believe the newer tech is better. Personally, I wouldn't pay $500 to "upgrade" unless something drastic happened like Tesla or the wireless provider discontinued access via 3G. If you thing it will make your life noticeably better you will likely be disappointed with the investment.

+1 what @Ostrichsak said. Didn’t notice much change when we upgraded, but AT&T service has always been decent in my region.

• Informative
Reactions: MC408
Hey congrats!! I was really eyeing this one and almost bought it at 44.2 before you, but I wasn't sold on the build date being so old. It doesn't have heated steering, gen 2 sunroof, upgraded sound dampening, 3rd gen suspension, as a few examples. I wanted a 2015 to get all those benefits

The rear facing seats are a REALLY nice bonus!

To answer your question, the + suspension is more for cornering and it will be more bumpy on the roads than the 3rd gen suspension.

Can you share your CPO experience so far? What's the website charge you? Just $2500? What do fees & transport look like?