Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Strata Is Going Electric!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 6 months we're finally nearing completion of installation of our first EV charger (two J1772 plugs) to serve 3 EV stalls. The building is a 78 unit condo and surprisingly all but three units voted to build the charger even though I'm the only EV owner currently. It'll be costly to use at $0.25/kWh, but I'll be glad to be able to stop using public chargers and superchargers. Glad to see our building is rather progressive towards future EV adoption!

Attachments

• 20200107_195005.jpg
    20200107_195005.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 94
What are your local electricity prices? 0.25/kwh is what some of us pay for home charging, thank you "Electric deregulation will decrease prices" legislators...

Instead we have higher prices and shady electric suppliers screwing customers, and we need a special effort(people, regulations, courts) to try and get control over the suppliers. The electric company itself has figured out that since it doesn't have to compete for the 'transportation/delivery' component of the charges, it should turn THAT up.

Last edited:
What are your local electricity prices? 0.25/kwh is what some of us pay for home charging, thank you "Electric deregulation will decrease prices" legislators...

Instead we have higher prices and shady electric suppliers screwing customers, and we need a special effort(people, regulations, courts) to try and get control over the suppliers. The electric company itself has figured out that since it doesn't have to compete for the 'transportation/delivery' component of the charges, it should turn THAT up.
It is a two tiered system but your first 1500 kWh in a 2 month period are less than 8 cents, after that it jumps to almost 15 cents. Admittedly our condo is paying mostly into the second tier so it is only 10 cents profit. We also have a 32kW solar array we just installed on the roof, which will save us some money on our hydro bill. I live in BC so electricity is cheap as heck (all hydro electric dams). Gas is also the most expensive in Canada at 5-7 bucks a gallon. The electric company here is one of the few government institutions that actually works, possibly better than private companies would.