Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My non-PUP has puddle lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was changing the red door lights and trunk/ frunk lights. I looked under the front doors and I have puddle lights but the rear's don't.

Now I have to buy 4 more abstract ocean lights. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_7134.JPG
    IMG_7134.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 584
Today I was changing the red door lights and trunk/ frunk lights. I looked under the front doors and I have puddle lights but the rear's don't.

They've been doing this for cars that didn't have the Premium Lighting Package (or whatever package that feature resided in as of the date your car was made) for awhile.

The rear doors have the connector, but there's no cutout. You might be able to cut the hole and fish the connector out without taking off your door liner, but I think most people have removed it to complete the install.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximapolak

Hey Max, before you put the "same old thing", in your rear door, maybe you want to consider these logo lights. Several of us have done them. Cost about the same as the standard lights.

I had the same with my refreshed Model S, I had to pull the door panels to get the wire which was nicely taped to another wire in the door, while I had it off I used a razor blade to cut the leather. The line was perfect and the whole job was painless.

Now that you've done this, do you think there would have been a way to just cut the hole first, and then reach in to grab that harness? or was it taped pretty far up? Thanks in advance!

I love the exterior lights, but the effort was extensive, removing the door handles is a bear! The parts are cheap, all you need is the LED module which was around $20 per door.

Why can't the door panel just be wedged from the bottom to get access to the taped wire and run the wire down?

The Abstract Ocean LEDs are brighter and $45 for a set of 4 (minus 20% discount ~ $36)

Why can't the door panel just be wedged from the bottom to get access to the taped wire and run the wire down?

The Abstract Ocean LEDs are brighter and $45 for a set of 4 (minus 20% discount ~ $36)
For the puddles you can likely just wedge it open enough, but by the time I wedged mine they just pop off anyway. The exterior door handle lights are a different story al together!

Reactions: e-FTW

I read some place here recently that a guy popped the door speaker grille off then using an X-acto knife slipped in and cut the tape holding the harness connector loose. the fished it around to access it. He didn't take the door panel off. It was a thread on TMC where I read it.

Reactions: Maximapolak
Can you send me a link of what leds you added to the handles? Also, is there a write up somewhere?
I haven't done a write-up and haven't read about anyone else doing the mod, it was just something I wanted to try. I bought the LEDs at the dealer for $28 each, part information below, they are side specific, but not front/rear specific:

LED ASSEMBLY, DOOR HANDLE OUTER 1 LEFT (1008995-00-D)
LED ASSEMBLY, DOOR HANDLE OUTER 1 RIGHT (1007748-00-E)

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop and Cricket88
I read some place here recently that a guy popped the door speaker grille off then using an X-acto knife slipped in and cut the tape holding the harness connector loose. the fished it around to access it. He didn't take the door panel off. It was a thread on TMC where I read it.
Popping the door panel off is a non-issue, no reason to worry about it for the wiring, it only becomes a hassle if you want to remove it completely. To remove it completely you have to disconnect the lights, window switch and interior door handle, but there is no need for that just to get to the harness, follow the videos for popping it loose and just don't remove it all the way.

I haven't done a write-up and haven't read about anyone else doing the mod, it was just something I wanted to try. I bought the LEDs at the dealer for $28 each, part information below, they are side specific, but not front/rear specific:

LED ASSEMBLY, DOOR HANDLE OUTER 1 LEFT (1008995-00-D)
LED ASSEMBLY, DOOR HANDLE OUTER 1 RIGHT (1007748-00-E)

This is awesome. Gonna give this a try next! So basically 2 of each part number right? Any dealer Activision required? Thanks in advance!