Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My nightmare relationship with Tesla came to an end today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 18 months and some 6000 miles, I finally parted ways with my 2021 model 3 LR today. In that time, it's had 3 charge ports, 2 steering racks, a front wiring loom, a 12v battery, several usb sticks, front fog lights and rear light clusters, to name but a few trivial things.

My assessment is that a lot of this was down to " service technician ".
Why were they replacing all these parts at the front end?
What were the problems that triggered the fitting of all these 'apparently faulty' spare parts?
And also charge ports and rear lights.

Looks a lot like my experience with fridge/freezer 'engineers'.

The 'it has nothing to do with build quality' refers to the comparison between a 1500kg Peugeot on 185 tyres and a 1900kg Model Y on 255 tyres. The problem with the UK forums is the wild tangents people take and how points get taken out of context. At no point have I said the Model Y is built well.
Not sure this is completely valid. A Bentley or Rolls Royce is going to be heavier and have wider tyres yet be one of the most quiet cars you'll ever travel in. Of course they cost a fair penny but they put a massive amount of effort into making them quiet.

I think the point is Tesla does the bare minimum around controlling road noise because of cost and maybe also weight as well. It's quite possible that Peugeot puts more effort into making their car quieter, I think most of the legacy brands got to the point they were quite good at this and understood people liked a reasonably quiet cabin. It's not nothing of course as fitting double pane glass you'd assume was to try to help or maybe it is for efficiency in terms of better insulation so less heating / cooling energy is needed. Who knows, they don't really say why they do things most of the time.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Funny thing is until this thread I’ve never considered my Model Y to be a noisy car. But it’s made me curious so I checked out TotalEV.net They typically do decibel monitoring in their car reviews. Just taking their readings at 70mph (they test at a range of speeds).

Model 3 - 62db
Peugot e-208 -65db
Model Y - 71db
Skoda Enyaq - 70db
Hyundai Ioniq 6 - 70db
MG4EV - 72db
VW ID.5 - 70db
Audi e-Tron - 63db
Volvo XC40 - 72db
Polestar 2 - 72db
BMW i4 - 70db

They all seem to be in the same range. The Audi e-tron is the star given its size. The Model 3, excellent too. The Volvo and Polestar the noisiest, by a whisker…

Funny thing is until this thread I’ve never considered my Model Y to be a noisy car. But it’s made me curious so I checked out TotalEV.net They typically do decibel monitoring in their car reviews. Just taking their readings at 70mph (they test at a range of speeds).

Model 3 - 62db
Peugot e-208 -65db
Model Y - 71db
Skoda Enyaq - 70db
Hyundai Ioniq 6 - 70db
MG4EV - 72db
VW ID.5 - 70db
Audi e-Tron - 63db
Volvo XC40 - 72db
Polestar 2 - 72db
BMW i4 - 70db

They all seem to be in the same range. The Audi e-tron is the star given its size. The Model 3, excellent too. The Volvo and Polestar the noisiest, by a whisker…
I think for Tesla they really should have done at least 3 cars and taken the average 😂. Suspect they got a 'good' 3 there and an 'ok' y.

My 2019 Model 3 seems quite noisy but most of that seems to be road noise. Not sure what roads in California are like but Tesla definitely doesn’t seem to have bothered much about that particular source.
UK roads seem notoriously poor quality compared to many in the continent (at least around the West Midlands) and the odd bit of “smooth tarmac” you can find makes a huge amount of difference, I think.

My 2019 Model 3 seems quite noisy but most of that seems to be road noise. Not sure what roads in California are like but Tesla definitely doesn’t seem to have bothered much about that particular source.
UK roads seem notoriously poor quality compared to many in the continent (at least around the West Midlands) and the odd bit of “smooth tarmac” you can find makes a huge amount of difference, I think.
My M3 is supremely quite on the 'new' rubberised tarmac used on motorways these days, but is quite loud on the older course motorways. So that's where attention is required...

Model 3 - 62db
Peugot e-208 -65db
Model Y - 71db
Skoda Enyaq - 70db
Hyundai Ioniq 6 - 70db
MG4EV - 72db
VW ID.5 - 70db
Audi e-Tron - 63db
Volvo XC40 - 72db
Polestar 2 - 72db
BMW i4 - 70db

there is NO WAY in this world model 3 is 62 dB. there is either typo either they measured it while car was parked

Bjorn's data actually opposite, puts model 3 at 75 db and he is in Norway,

Reactions: Avendit
all the M40 from Birmnigham to London you are forced to stay in left lane, overtaking all trucks, rather than sticking to middle lane (as you are faster and it is empty) just because of road noise :D

there is NO WAY in this world model 3 is 62 dB. there is either typo either they measured it while car was parked

Bjorn's data actually opposite, puts model 3 at 75 db and he is in Norway,
both values can be correct!

I do believe you when you say your car is noisy, that does not mean that my car is not quiet....

This type of variability is a clear indication of improvements needed in manufacturing processes. Especially with the photo you showed of the gaps through panels (which I do not have on mine...) that would be an obvious source of noise.
I think for Tesla they really should have done at least 3 cars and taken the average 😂. Suspect they got a 'good' 3 there and an 'ok' y.
Also preferably bought anonymously as well

This type of variability is a clear indication of improvements needed in manufacturing processes. Especially with the photo you showed of the gaps through panels (which I do not have on mine...) that would be an obvious source of noise.

62dB vs 75dB is not variability.

62dB is talking level, 75dB is human whistling type of level.

tbh, I don't believe either unless 75dB was from a sound meter right next to a noisy/whistling window.

both values can be correct!

I do believe you when you say your car is noisy, that does not mean that my car is not quiet....

Also preferably bought anonymously as well
dB level is not relative perception.

dB level is not relative perception.
I think you missed the point - I was agreeing there was a measurable difference, however, I was talking about the difference between a seal being intact and a gaping hole i.e. build consistency - one will lead to loud noise and the other will cause some attenuation - 10 dB is a real and very noticeable difference that can be caused by a non functioning seal.