Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. I think the crux of the matter is the very specific timeframe promised to early adopters. Otherwise it becomes ‘future promise’ which is not to easy to bring a case although I have done in the past (not with Tesla) and got a goodwill settlement/NDA so not impossible especially if it involves a company having to admit their product is crap in order to win their case that they have met pre-sale/contracted expectations - and no, it wasn’t a case against Gerald Ratner!

• Funny
Reactions: Alwayshopeful
I purchased FSD in 2016 and 2019 and now they are expecting me to pay for it again if I purchase Tesla no3. Since the first purchase the system has gone so far backwards I now consider it to be dangerous with its constant vision-only ultra-uber phantom braking issues.

I absolutely feel aggrieved and rightly so.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
I purchased FSD in 2016 and 2019 and now they are expecting me to pay for it again if I purchase Tesla no3

Bit of a surprise (greedy, at the time maybe?) that they didn't allow transfer to next-Tesla (rather than offering Trade In of FSD at, say 50% of purchase price).

That would have locked buyers into FSD at the original-purchase-price, whilst the "buy new" price kept rising. I reckon that would have kept everyone hanging on indefinitely! Excepting for when folk swapped for another brand - but, even then, I suppose FSD-sold-with-the-car would have had more 2nd value than the original owner would have, originally, paid.

Might even have caused no-stalks and crap-wiper waverers!! to stick with Tesla Brand, 'coz shifting brand would have lost them that old-price grandfathered-in benefit.

Musk should have asked my advice, from my armchair, years ago

I purchased FSD in 2016 and 2019 and now they are expecting me to pay for it again if I purchase Tesla no3....

Far be it for me to defend Tesla, I believe they have treated customers with utter contempt on numerous occasions over the years.

However, in a spirit of fair mindedness, in what regard are Tesla 'expecting' you to purchase FSD again.

Of course it will be offered at a cost, but that in now way demonstrates any 'expectation' on Tesla's part that anyone (least of all somewhat who has been bitten twice previously) will purchase it.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
Far be it for me to defend Tesla, I believe they have treated customers with utter contempt on numerous occasions over the years.

However, in a spirit of fair mindedness, in what regard are Tesla 'expecting' you to purchase FSD again.

Of course it will be offered at a cost, but that in now way demonstrates any 'expectation' on Tesla's part that anyone (least of all somewhat who has been bitten twice previously) will purchase it.
“Expected” as in if I want to retain the functionality I have at the moment I have to pay for it again, making my spend on FSD just under £20k over the years for a system that has gone backwards and pretty much none of the promised features are available or satisfactory working in the the UK.

The way Tesla have sold FSD, and continue ot do so, is that once you've bought it you've got everything you need for full self driving, once it is available.

There have been a number of revisions to hardware over the years - the repeater assemblies got redesigned to stop the orange indicator bulb blowing out the feed, HW4 adds heaters and ventilation fans to the B-pillar and front cameras respectively. Cameras are getting better in quality and no doubt the Autopilot computer will be upgraded too. HW4 is not retrofittable to HW3 cars, so these changes are unavailable to anyone who paid for FSD on a pre-Highland Model 3.

Now one could argue that FSD Beta in the States shows that full self driving is possible with this hardware, but I'd suggest that's by no means certain. Elon says a lot of things, very rarely nowadays do these claims or promises seem to hold any water at all.

Notwithstanding all of that, if you'd bought FSD on a 2019 car, there's a very good chance - a very high chance in my opinion - that you won't receive FSD beta before the battery warranty expires. Certainly a lot of people will have dropped out of the usual finance cycles without ever realising a benefit from having purchased it. They really shouldn't be allowed to sell it "as is", certainly not in Europe where FSD Beta being allowed is some way off.

“Expected” as in if I want to retain the functionality I have at the moment I have to pay for it again, making my spend on FSD just under £20k over the years for a system that has gone backwards and pretty much none of the promised features are available or satisfactory working in the the UK.
You could just a) not fall for the FSD scam again or b) buy something other than yet another Tesla.

No one is forcing you to spend £20k…