Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My charge port won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good thinking Freks. Mines doing the same thing, every 10th time or so it becomes a game to get it to open. When i emailed service they said the magnet area may be dirty. I cleaned it when i got it open and it seemed to work fine, then a week later it happened again. Im going to add some felt and see if that does the trick.

My charge port would only open every 10th time... I was going mad... but then I sticked on a thin felt protective pad on the ports metal plate... now it opens like a charm first time / every time... guess the magnet is too strong.

View attachment 63138

This works for me too! Only difference, that I used one layer of hockey tape :biggrin:

Now it works perfectly.

Ps. I noticed, that easiest way to open the port if car thinks that the port is open (you notice it from 17 inch screen picture, where port is open), but port is closed, is to lift with credit card from the front edge and simultaneously press ports rear edge.

I was at the Burlington WA supercharger this morning and a couple pulled up and couldn't get their charge port open. You could hear the "clunk" of the mechanism whenever the button on the charge cable was pushed, or the touch screen button was pushed, but the port didn't open. I ended up getting my fingernail under the edge of it to pull at the same time as the button was pushed and it worked, did find the charge door was wet, so possibly that made it a bit sticky in some way so that the spring wasn't overcoming the resistance to open it when the magnet was released?

My understanding of door opening mechanism is, that when you press opening button, magnet in car's side moves invards for split off a second and during that time spring has enough power to open the door, because increasing distance weakens magnetic force. If port doesn't move fast enough, it can't escape the magnet.

When you put something to cover the metal plate it gives the port door just enough head start for escaping the magnet.

Coul be totally wrong :D

Anyway, it works.

Search brought me here so might as well bump an old thread. Same problem here on a Dec 15 car.

Standing outside in heavy rain wasn't very amusing trying to get the damn charge port door to open.
Basics, Tesla, basics; came to mind.

Last edited:
I am wondering if the charge port mechanism is particularly vulnerable to breakage in the event one attempts to open it in the presence of ice. We park outdoors, as our house doesn't have a garage, and our Model S sometimes gets covered by ice and snow.

Earlier this season, I tried opening the charge port, which had been working fine, but there was a modest amount of ice in the area and it would not open, so I had to bump it open manually. Subsequently, even in warmer weather and with everything clean and dry, the port wouldn't open on request. Tesla Service ended up replacing the port when the car was in for some other work, and I encountered the exact same issue again. The worst thing is, when I bump the port cover open manually, the port sometimes re-locks itself within a second or so, and I then have to fuss with it some more to be able to plug in.

Have others found the mechanism to be that fragile? Surely I'm not the only one who charges a Tesla outdoors in winter weather! Perhaps I should have been warming up and completely de-icing the charge port before attempting to open it? Also, I should note that we use the J-1772 adapter since we're still using our old Aerovironment charging station. I'd love to be able to do something simple to get the charge port working again, as I'd rather not have to ask Tesla Service to replace it multiple times. Sticking a bit of paper on top of the magnet (along the lines of the above band-aid idea) does make it easier to open the port door manually, but it still won't open on its own.

Although we love our Model S, this is one small area where I've preferred our lowly Nissan LEAF. We've been charging it outdoors, in all weather, for six years without issue (aside from having to scrape away some of the snow and ice at times).

I am wondering if the charge port mechanism is particularly vulnerable to breakage in the event one attempts to open it in the presence of ice.

Earlier this season, I tried opening the charge port, which had been working fine, but there was a modest amount of ice in the area and it would not open, so I had to bump it open manually.

Have others found the mechanism to be that fragile?

Yes, I have similar issues with it freezing, but I would never think of "bumping" it. What exactly do you mean by that?

What I do is gently pry it with my plastic ChargePoint RFID keychain card as I press the fob or HPWC button to open the port. This works quite well with the only caveat being that I have damaged the ChargePoint keychain card and it no longer works (I keep a regular credit card-sized card in my wallet). I just left the damaged card on my keychain to use as my winter pry tool.

Time for an update...

Not long ago, Tesla Service replaced our car's charge port, charge port door, and the taillight enclosure just to the right of the charge port. Everything is working well now, and the Ranger who performed the service was proactive, considerate, and prompt. He emphasized that, with electromagnetic charge port doors like ours, the only thing that could mechanically prevent the door from opening on its own would be some kind of obstruction. In the absence of ice or other foreign material, slight misalignment of the charge port and surrounding panels and taillight could be the issue. In our case, the taillight enclosure was a problem.

In addition, the Ranger left us with a simple, plastic pry device, not unlike a bicycle tire tool. He recommended this keeping as a backup in case the charge port door sticks again, at least until we can contact Service.

Today, we are having our first snow and ice since the charge port was replaced. (I know, it's the middle of Spring and our temperatures are much warmer on average, but we're high in the mountains and a bit of May snow isn't all that unusual.) As the car had been plugged in overnight and we had rain that turned to snow, a pretty common occurrence when we have "winter" weather, there was a nice coating of ice around the charge port that prevented the charge port door from closing. So I loosened up the ice with a washcloth soaked in hot water, then chipped it off with a fingernail. There was still a slight crunching sound when I closed the charge port door, but I don't think any harm was done.

Perhaps the lesson is that we just have to be super careful using Tesla charge ports when there's ice present (or dirt, for that matter). They don't seem to be nearly as rugged as typical fuel doors on gasoline cars, or compared with the relatively giant charge port door on the Nissan LEAF. The charge port on the Model S/X is very elegant, but there seems to be a price to pay for that.

While I suppose it's too late to change this on the Model 3, I hope that Tesla will consider opting for a more robust charge port design on the Model Y, even if this comes at the expense of some elegance. As Tesla moves into the mass market, they'll find a larger percentage of their customers doing their overnight charging outdoors in the elements. I understand that the charge port can't be quite as simple as a traditional fuel door, though, because it has to be able to work autonomously.

• Informative
Reactions: chwall P90DL
My situation was similar. I had to press the fob button multiple times and hold the charge port door down tight for it to open. I had an alignment issue. I paid a tesla certified body shop guy to shave down the charge port door to compensate for the misalignment. Works great now.