Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My balloon squeal is gone, perhaps forever. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is not OS version dependent, as the bulk of us with this issue (with any length of ownership), have had it over several version iterations.

I suspect that it may be the result of the massive current flow (under acceleration) through the HV wiring and resonating at the terminal posts of the motor. Those that have the issue, vs those that don't, might it simply be the difference in how the cables are tightened in place???

Of course I really have no clue, just pure speculation.

After 1.5 years/2 years of owning the Teslas I've noticed a paradigm shift in my operating approach, to whit, no more need for speed/acceleration and no more need to exceed adhesion limits just to see where they are. Just smooth trouble-free cruising and enjoying the quite disparate characteristics of the two cars. I know this makes me a bad person and of course we'll see how long this phase will last. :cool:
--

Mine is 6 weeks old, and has it all squeeks of various tones depending on cold or warm start, and then on top a Tesla bonus with that annoying hum at 70-75 mph
Pretty much the same here, and I got mine in November. Tons of very loud balloon squeal, and anything above about 70mph makes is very loud in the cabin. I also had a concerning amount of gear lash in the drivetrain, but the SC said, alternately, they didn't hear it and that it was normal.

I figured I'd let it go and ask again if it's normal in 6 months or so once they've had some time to diagnose it further. I see some people getting replacement drivetrains, some being told it's normal. I don't know what to think.

At a car show last weekend, I got to meet a Tesla employee that works on the drive train. I asked him about this squeal. He told me that this squeal is related to an increase load of energy being transferred on some part in the drivetrain to something in the rear that had to deal with the high voltage junction box? This happens when you take the car out of after its been sitting idle over night. But, after driving for a while and this energy has been distributed, you won't hear it anymore. I really wish I could repeat the specifics he told me, but unfortunately I didn't understand some of the terms. From what he was saying, the P85 models use a higher quality part related to something that has to do with this, where this noise is experienced far less. Is this actually the case for P85s?

At a car show last weekend, I got to meet a Tesla employee that works on the drive train. I asked him about this squeal. He told me that this squeal is related to an increase load of energy being transferred on some part in the drivetrain to something in the rear that had to deal with the high voltage junction box? This happens when you take the car out of after its been sitting idle over night. But, after driving for a while and this energy has been distributed, you won't hear it anymore. I really wish I could repeat the specifics he told me, but unfortunately I didn't understand some of the terms. From what he was saying, the P85 models use a higher quality part related to something that has to do with this, where this noise is experienced far less. Is this actually the case for P85s?

I can't speak for others, but my P85 has had the squeal since delivery. I also made it squeal quite a bit on a long road trip (fun!), so the "it only happens after sitting idle" thing doesn't seem to apply to mine, either.

Followup to my post #5 above - My balloon squeal started abruptly with an earlier version of 5.9 back in April, was there 100% of the time with each strong acceleration, then just as abruptly disappeared with the most recent 5.11 software upgrade and hasn't returned. Almost forgot about it until I recently drove an S60 loaner which had the classic squeal.