Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MXP vs MSP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

With recent prices changes, looking to get back in the game. With the MS and the MX plaid priced equally now, I can’t think of why I would get the S other than it does look better.
Less function all around. Am I missing something? Anyone else consider both?

Obviously I realize I am posting on the X section.

I'd go S unless you need the extra space, X got almost none of the suspension/wheel/tire improvements. Less comprehensive upgrade compared to the very holistic approach they took to the S, that included bodywork changes - X body is basically identical to the old car other than the bumper covers. Less function depends what you want the car to do. S is a much lighter, better-handling, better stopping car. Go to a track other than a drag strip? S is the only one with track mode and the only one with a properly big and wide wheel/tire package with proper performance tires on it. Want to road trip? S will go long distances significantly quicker too, with 10-20% better range from the same battery at highway speeds, and the faster you go the worse the X gets thanks to aero/size, Then there's function function....like..does the car function at all? S has fewer moving parts, isn't asked to do too many things (tow, have lots of suspension travel, but also run high 9's?) that cause more engineering compromises, doesn't have the dumb doors, has sunshades that aren't stupid...

But if space is going to be an issue, or you're using the back seat a lot, different story. X has a much much larger frunk, much more passenger space, and is just more of everything including bruises on your head when you forget the door is there

I also don't think X rides appreciably better than S, at least on the legacy cars, but I've not tried the refresh X and S back-to-back to really inform that opinion. X feels a little like it's too heavy for its own feet

Last edited:
Reactions: strider
The reasons are the same as any sedan versus SUV comparison. If you prefer space and an upright seating position, the extra space and versatility for hauling things and people, etc. get an X. If you want a sport sedan with better acceleration and a lower seating position, etc. get an S.

I cross-shopped and test drove both and decided to get an X. I am currently on my second X after trying a new S, so this was the correct choice for me.

The reasons are the same as any sedan versus SUV comparison. If you prefer space and an upright seating position, the extra space and versatility for hauling things and people, etc. get an X. If you want a sport sedan with better acceleration and a lower seating position, etc. get an S.

I cross-shopped and test drove both and decided to get an X. I am currently on my second X after trying a new S, so this was the correct choice for me.

What're you going to do with the Model X once the F150 Lightning shows up?

I have had my MSP for 16 months and our MXP for a few weeks. If we decided we could go down to one car, we would keep the X (so far). I prefer the sitting position and ride height (easy in and out) of X over S. Also, our ride comfort on the X is noticeably better, but I suspect a lot of that might be the 20s on the X vs. the 21s on the S. Lastly, the panoramic windshield and auto doors are a plus for the X.

The S looks better, and I don't have any plans to get rid of it, but I am surprised I prefer the X right now since I thought I was more of a "car" person. If you can, I would try to drive both before making a decision.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa