Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Muti-Destination trip not calculating traffic!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my M3, I frequently make a trip from the edge of Boston to Cape Cod that every mapping product in the universe insists on taking me through the absolute worst drive in the area: straight through the heart of Boston, down the most unpleasant, traffic light infested street (Melnea Cass), on to the worst stretch of highway in America: I-93 out of Boston. All this, to save about 3 minutes. Alternatively, if I head the opposite direction, I can encounter about three lights and use AP with zero stress, all to get to the same place. With multi-destination added to Tesla navigation, I started adding a destination along the better route that basically forces the nav to take me the preferred way. But what I have discovered is that it ONLY calculates traffic delays for the first leg, which is like 2% of the trip. It wont calculate the other 98% until I reach that first stop. At that point, it's way too late to change course. This is terrible. If there is massive traffic along this route, I need to know when I get in the car, not after I'm past the point of no return! Anyone have any thoughts on this? I REALLY wish Tesla had a preference in the nav system to prefer routes more amenable to AP.

Good point!

Google Maps offers an energy efficient route that might avoid most of the traffic lights, and on the desktop you can drag the route line to compare the time, distance, and traffic. Then you can "Send directions to your phone" where you can share it with the Tesla app, but does that yet share the full route or just the destination? Or manually enter the destination and a waypoint into Tesla nav.

You'd still want Tesla nav to consider traffic on the whole route, but at least you'd evaluate the full traffic situation before starting out.

Good point!

Google Maps offers an energy efficient route that might avoid most of the traffic lights, and on the desktop you can drag the route line to compare the time, distance, and traffic. Then you can "Send directions to your phone" where you can share it with the Tesla app, but does that yet share the full route or just the destination? Or manually enter the destination and a waypoint into Tesla nav.

You'd still want Tesla nav to consider traffic on the whole route, but at least you'd evaluate the full traffic situation before starting out.
Sharing from google maps to Tesla only sends the destination to the car. The car then routes to that destination using its nav algorithm.

Bottom line/TLDR: Tesla should have a simple on/off switch to prefer routes that are more amenable to auto pilot.

I mean, isn’t that the bread and butter for Tesla? Take me they way that I can sit back and relax. Don’t take me through the heart of the city only to save three minutes on a two hour drive!