Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk's hint to 2nd row seats in Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My grandfather had a custom van in the 70s that had rotating captain's chairs the back. It's nothing new but might be a first on a production car.
2dxziwvizdhb8h.jpg

Not a first in a production car, either--Chrysler products during the 50s offered a swiveling seat option. This is an ad for a DeSoto, but you could get the same thing on a Chrysler, too.
1280px-Chrysler_300F_1960.JPG

There may have been other manufacturers doing this, as well.

One can argue that nothing in the car is totally original and everything is inspired from something.
But at least tesla is pushing the envelope for change in more ways than just being an EV, it's what makes this company exciting. I just wish they could do it quicker :p

What if the second row seats have built in child seats? This would make it that much easier to get your (small) kids situated. Volvo had something similar at one point (not sure if they still have it as an option). Perhaps just booster seats. It would make sense with Elon's family configuration.
Given the challenges they've had with seat comfort in the S, I doubt they'd add the additional challenge of built-in child seats.

That is it, actually. I was leaving dinner with my wife and daughter on Sunday when another family approached us and asked how we liked our Model S. The husband explained he worked for the seat manufacturer that supplies Tesla, and he is moving to Fremont next month (Tesla is moving the seat and headliner supplier in-house at Fremont). Apparently, his company is supplying the new seats that Elon mentioned in the shareholder meeting. He also told me that his company will be supplying the headliners as well. Anyway, I asked if he had worked on the Model X, and his reply was yes. He was excited to tell me that the seats are going to be ridiculously cool because the second row seats slide forward so you can enter the Third row with ease and the second row seats also rotate so maneuvering car seats is very easy (even when the child is already buckled in). It is difficult to describe this guy's enthusiasm for the Model X's car seats. I thought he was enthusiastic because that is his company's specialty, but after hearing Elon comment on it, they are something to look forward to.

Hey they stole my idea:
cards in the car
No really, I would love it if they did something like this.

What if the second row seats could be turned rear-facing while driving to improve the safety of that seating position? There's no safer position than the middle of the car facing backwards for your precious cargo, and Elon is all about maximizing safety.

What if the second row seats could be turned rear-facing while driving to improve the safety of that seating position? There's no safer position than the middle of the car facing backwards for your precious cargo, and Elon is all about maximizing safety.

Nice! If they're going to rotate, it doesn't seem much of a challenge to support a rear-facing position. However, if it's a bench seat, I'm having a hard time envisioning that.

That is it, actually. I was leaving dinner with my wife and daughter on Sunday when another family approached us and asked how we liked our Model S. The husband explained he worked for the seat manufacturer that supplies Tesla, and he is moving to Fremont next month (Tesla is moving the seat and headliner supplier in-house at Fremont). Apparently, his company is supplying the new seats that Elon mentioned in the shareholder meeting. He also told me that his company will be supplying the headliners as well. Anyway, I asked if he had worked on the Model X, and his reply was yes. He was excited to tell me that the seats are going to be ridiculously cool because the second row seats slide forward so you can enter the Third row with ease and the second row seats also rotate so maneuvering car seats is very easy (even when the child is already buckled in). It is difficult to describe this guy's enthusiasm for the Model X's car seats. I thought he was enthusiastic because that is his company's specialty, but after hearing Elon comment on it, they are something to look forward to.

I'm a bit surprised how open he was about this. I've heard that Tesla's NDAs are rock solid.

I'm a bit surprised how open he was about this. I've heard that Tesla's NDAs are rock solid.

I'm sure the NDA is rock solid. The problem is that upper management signs the NDA. And not everyone in the company is as aware of the restrictions or, even if aware, as careful as they should be.

We did a project one time for Disney - the Indiana Jones ride, software and hardware. Totally top secret at the time, off-site, even fellow employees on other projects didn't know what we were working on. Problem was that the vendors were common between projects and they talked a little too much out of excitement. It's really hard to keep a lid on things.

Safety Schmafety!!! If that comes to pass, and you order the 3rd row of seats, you could host a traveling bridge game! Pass the gin & tonics, please.

On Edit: Whoops....now I see the "Cards in the Car" link. Rats - late to the party once again :(

Surely if Tesla is going to support traveling bridge games they'll have rear seat cup holders and A/C!

Maybe we should be holding out for stemware holders? The ones in the front seats could be linked to the AV system so they are only usable when videos can be legally played in the front display, e.g. if the parking brake is on.

Hmmm.
Based on my experiences using SUVs with my family/dog situation I think id prefer if the 2nd row came as a split bench.
+1 hopes to folding down 3rd row bench (vs removing)

We're in the same boat. We'd rarely use the second OR 3rd row seats and would REALLY like everything to lay flat for the pooches most of the time.
I'm not gonna start all that "show stopper" stuff from the early Model S days :smile:, but I'd REALLY like this to be the case.

We're in the same boat. We'd rarely use the second OR 3rd row seats and would REALLY like everything to lay flat for the pooches most of the time.
I'm not gonna start all that "show stopper" stuff from the early Model S days :smile:, but I'd REALLY like this to be the case.

We have similar hopes so my wife's large service dog could just step into the back and lie down. But it would also make a lot of sense from a utility point of view to be able to open up a big contiguous space for larger or bulky cargo.