Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-coat red...too flashy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the red is the best looking color of them all. I just saw one on display with carbon fiber accents, spoiler and 21" grey wheels. Smokin'.
I'm just not that kind of guy. I like sophisticated and subtle. Red is no where near subtle. My girlfriend, however, she'll fit nicely in one of those.

Have to agree with OP. I find the red to be too "flashy". Sig red was perfect.
Black is a bear to keep clean and attracts heat. Almost wish I'd gone with white, but way too bright.
Tesla didn't get their colors right, IMO. The best I saw was the custom (?) clue out here months ago; I also finally heard feedback this week on how the "pink" S became that shade of pink. Not quite by choice?
I love subtlety, and the S is barely subtle to begin with. :)

Slightly OT, my apologies, but which colors are easiest to keep clean? I have had mostly black cars (MB SLK350, BMW 650i and Volvo V60), and those were a pain to keep shiny!

Having owned at least 5 white cars, I can say that this color is actually quite easy to keep clean. Silver is the easiest. Dark colors (Black and Tesla Blue) are much more difficult.

The Tesla Model S is a pretty flashy car, regardless of what color you decide on. Most people seem to know that it is relatively expensive (and they often seem to drastically over-estimate what it costs). I don't think the color choice affects that part of people's perception of the car and what it says about you. Perhaps one downside of picking red is that it ties into the old stereotype of a guy having a mid-life crisis, who buys a red Corvette.

I really like my red Model S, and it gets a lot of compliments because of the basic styling and the red color. You should pick the color that you like, and try not to worry about what other people think about it. I think people you know will judge you by your behavior rather than by the car you drive, especially the color.

I had a Mercedes s550 burgundy red like the Signature Red and after we turned it back in we were looking at a black one until we found Tesla. After 2 years of waiting we were able to go to the service center to look at the cars. We were looking at the White, Blue or Green until we saw the Multi Coat Red a few weeks later. Yes the car is flashy but I get more compliments that the car is more of a Classy car with Flash! It defiantly gets noticed and people want to look at it. Last month my wife was in the hospital for 10 days and while it was sitting near the doctor entrance and I must have demonstrated the car to at least fifty people, and five doctors told me they ordered one that week. So it is defiant that the Red will be noticed, but no matter what color you get you will be showing & demonstrating the S to a lot of people! !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 1,457
Color Red can help Tesla to change the world of driving

If you want to make a statement for driving an electric car, do it good. So the color red can help you to get attention. For many other cars in this segment it's no option to drive that color. For Tesla Model S it's allowed. You help Tesla to change the way of thinking!

You should pick the color that you like, and try not to worry about what other people think about it. I think people you know will judge you by your behavior rather than by the car you drive, especially the color.

This is the piece of advice I've liked best. People that matter will judge you by your character; people that judge you by superficial details don't matter. Get the color you want.

I'm not a flashy guy; pre-Tesla I drove cheap economy cars. I bought a yellow Roadster not to draw attention to myself, but because the Roadster was the only EV available and as much I loved the Thunder Gray, I live in Seattle and I don't want to drive a 44" tall car that blends in with wet pavement. (My wife and I have long had a discussion about tradeoffs between efficient vehicles and safe vehicles; it is hard to make a big safe vehicle more efficient, but you can make a small efficient vehicle more safe by minor changes like color choice). Sure I've had a few snide comments about my need for attention based on my color choice, but only from people that don't matter.

Related to that (and getting to Fbunck's point), even if people I don't know think I'm a jerk for getting such a car, they still seem to think better of the potential for EVs for learning about it. We don't drive much and don't need two Teslas, but part of our buying calculus was that cool EVs are great education tools. Even if people decide they don't want to be my friend because I am flashy, they still learn that EVs are not a pile of downsides and may be more willing to consider buying one themselves.

I bought a yellow Roadster not to draw attention to myself, but because the Roadster was the only EV available and as much I loved the Thunder Gray, I live in Seattle and I don't want to drive a 44" tall car that blends in with wet pavement. (My wife and I have long had a discussion about tradeoffs between efficient vehicles and safe vehicles; it is hard to make a big safe vehicle more efficient, but you can make a small efficient vehicle more safe by minor changes like color choice).
I think there are scientific studies out there on this topic if someone is feeling sufficiently eager to learn…

You gotta do what's right for you. I initially was dead set on the Red until I saw it in person. It's a tremendous color, but for me and my lady, we felt like it distracted from the elegant lines of the car instead of enhancing it. For some reason I kept seeing Mazda6, but that's likely because I had a family member with a metallic red 6 sedan hatch. I doubt it would evoke that for everyone.

Honestly it is a very personal decision. In the end I was torn between the Gray, Pearl White and the Red. And only seeing them all in person together was I able to decide on my configuration. It helped that I attended the battery swap demo and had nearly every buildable combination in line waiting for me to see.

:)

I get plenty of looks driving my black 60kWh around buttoned-down DC. I picked up a red P85 loaner today and suddenly I felt 10x more eyeballs and camera phones pointed at me! My kids got to try out the rear-facing seats and they were kind of freaked out when other cars were following us. I took care of that with the right pedal when the roads cleared up ;-)