Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud on the Door Sills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about to extend the door further down with a piece of plastic (or carbon) to cover the lower part of the door sills?

Like a flexible door sweep that came down from the bottom of the door and met the edge of the door sill. You wouldn't see it unless you bent down and looked under the door. The door flexes independently from the sill so it would eventually rub the paint off the sill but you could probably prevent that with a piece of clear plastic low-friction tape. I think part of the problem is some of the mud and rocks come from up higher. anything that goes through the crack between the door and the body ends up down on the door sill. VFX maybe you can show us what you did so we could make suggestions, improve on it, not repeat what didn't work, etc.

I think I may have a solution to paint chipping on the bottom sill. The local sign shop made up some vinyl decals for me, flat black that they applied to the bottom sill area. The cost about $70 and it appears it will save the paint. With the Twilight Blue it blends right in.
Tesla_Vinyl1.jpg
Tesla_Vinyl2.jpg

I am told they will come right off with the heat of a hair dryer. They have only been on a week so only time will tell if they will really work but I am hopeful.

Last edited:
Express Signs is willingto sell the vinyl for a Roadster but one would have to carefully trim with an exacto knife. I had asked about them selling and he said it takes an hour for careful trimming. So if you ever make it to NE Tennessee he would be happy to apply and I can offer you a place for high speed charging.

There are unfortunately several ding/chips already.

Thanks

Feel free to contact them directly if interested.
Israel Saxton
Express Signs - Graphics & Design
423-246-3100
423-246-3101 (Fax)
[email protected]

Last edited:
Thought I revive this thread. I got the door sill rubber/seal applied today from Tesla. I believe this is the same one from the noise reduction kit. It was mentioned in another thread that Tesla would not sell the seal only from the noise reduction kit.

I went in for my "final" fix up as yesterday was the last day of my warranty. I mentioned/complained politely that the door sills get tons of mud and junk during rainy days. The nice guys at the service center just said, "okay, there's a seal we can apply there" and done.

So that's all I have to say about that.

Thought I revive this thread. I got the door sill rubber/seal applied today from Tesla. I believe this is the same one from the noise reduction kit. It was mentioned in another thread that Tesla would not sell the seal only from the noise reduction kit.

I went in for my "final" fix up as yesterday was the last day of my warranty. I mentioned/complained politely that the door sills get tons of mud and junk during rainy days. The nice guys at the service center just said, "okay, there's a seal we can apply there" and done.

So that's all I have to say about that.

Wait. How did you get that? My service advisor said they were all gone???

Thank you MPT for the shot. Could you also get a picture on how it ends? How far up the back of the door does it go? I would like to know as I added a similar seal of my own but was not sure how far up the door I should go. So I ended just above the curve.

Thank you

Guys,
I posted a workable solution last summer on this. It is exactly like the discontinued Tesla solution using garage door rubber seal, double sided tape, bulb type weatherstripping, Auveco 1/4" push type retainers and the nerve to drill four holes in the bottom of the door!

I'll try to find the name of the thread. If not I'll post the pics again.

Found some pics:
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2435.JPG
IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG

If anybody wants step by step let me know.
I added a bulb strip to the front of the door too but may change that for the larger flat strip to get a better seal but that will take some playing around to keep from scratching paint…… on my to-do list.

Last edited: