Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint chipping rear door sill edge M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought the M3LR three years ago I was hoping that the front mud flaps and bit of protective film around the rear door sills would protect them from Winter grit sandblasting in the GTA. Nope.

The other side's not so bad as the door is more flush with the body. Tesla won't touch it, so should I just touch it up every year like I did with my previous car? Not sure if a protective film could be wrapped around that curved edge ...
1000000772.jpg

You can wrap that with PPF. That’s the most common area on 3’s for gravel rash. Personally I have larger front mudflaps than normal and that’s prevented any on mine.
You can definitely ppf that, but I would try and adjust the door alignment.
If the door were flush with the rest of the body, your problem is likely to be solved. Touch and a bit of ppf and you’re good to go.
Worst case, you can always “adjust” the edges of the door to align properly with a rubber mallet.

The Tesla folks at Railside service centre didn't want to touch it. They thought that adjusting the rear door would require adjusting the front to match, but then there would be a mismatch between the body and door somewhere else.

Right now the mismatch is not very noticeable, if it weren't for the paint chipping. I didn't notice it over the past three years, until now.

I'll try touch up paint and wrap. And see how that goes.

The stone chips are well known on the front of the rocker panels and the rear quarter panel at the lower front of the wheel well where the body flairs out. Here's a pic that illustrates that pretty well. The road debris, in this case snow, kicked up from the front wheels hits that area directly.

Image.jpeg

Please excuse the dirty car but these prevented any on mine over 68,000 km.

IMG_0076.jpeg

The stone chips are well known on the front of the rocker panels and the rear quarter panel at the lower front of the wheel well where the body flairs out. Here's a pic that illustrates that pretty well. The road debris, in this case snow, kicked up from the front wheels hits that area directly.

View attachment 1048334

Please excuse the dirty car but these prevented any on mine over 68,000 km.

View attachment 1048335
Do you recall where you got those mudflaps and the brand?

They aren't cheap but worth it to me. I don't like the molded ones on a 3 as the lip folds around the corner onto the paint. It's a moisture and salt trap. Not an issue on the Y as the lip on molded ones fold around onto the plastic wheel well trim.

They aren't cheap but worth it to me. I don't like the molded ones on a 3 as the lip folds around the corner onto the paint. It's a moisture and salt trap. Not an issue on the Y as the lip on molded ones fold around onto the plastic wheel well trim.
So I've ordered these Quebec mud flaps.

Did you put on the rear flaps? So far not seeing any road rash on the panels behind the rear tires.