Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More range after 6.2 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you ever tried "resetting/recalibrating" the algorithm, as some people do, by driving down the battery close to zero and then keeping it plugged in at 100% for a few days?

I noticed the drop after a summer of charging to 70% and ending the day at 30%. When I went back to do a 90% charge, I was getting around 210 miles and was shocked! The calibration exercises got me up to 218 and that's the best I can now get at 90%

This is more anecdotal than scientific, but I've definitely noticed an improvement in range with the P85D after the 6.2 update. We used to have a P85 and would take it from our home to a vacation home up the coast. The trip is about 140 miles, mixed between highway and hilly, curvy coastal roads. With the P85 on max charge we'd arrive with about 30-40 miles of range left. When we upgraded to the P85D even though the estimated max range was lower than on the P85, we'd arrive with about 60 miles of range left. This is our first trip up with 6.2 and we arrived with 90 miles of range left.

It's definitely not weather related, as it is unseasonably cold and even rainy on this trip. I never kept records on energy used with the old car, so I can't compare that. In our case, given the type of driving we're doing, the tweaks that have happened since the original P85 have more than made up for whatever increase in energy use comes along with two motors.

@mknox
TesS has been set to standard (93%) or maximum daily (90%) since taking delivery. More data to mull over.

Yeah, I do tend to overthink things like this :confused: I should just do the same and not worry about it. I had read somewhere that the batteries liked to play in the middle of their range and so went to my 70% to 30% daily routine. I'm fairly convinced that this has just thrown the car's ability to calculate out, especially considering I rarely, if ever, have had the car below 20% SOC. I'm sure there's some degradation which I fully expected, and the reduction I'm seeing has not affected me in any material way since I still have way more than I need in any given day.

No change in range for me on my P85D before or after 6.2. Getting about 300 wh / mile during my 128 mile commute when it's 65F to 70F and 318 wh / mile when it's 40F to 45F. Driving 5 mph above speed limit with no elevation change. Nearly at sea level.

Just curious why everyone gives out rated number instead of ideal number. Rated number can vary +/-30% based on ones driving habits. Whereas absolute number would be more of a reference for comparison.
Incorrect. Projected miles will vary widely. Rated miles are a well defined entity. The one small detail is that range mode on/off changes the rated calculation by about 1% - but no, there is absolutely no +/-30% swing on rated miles.

I was seeing consistent rated range of 229 miles prior to 6.2 @ 90%. I'm back up to 242, like when the car was new 28 months and 50,000 miles ago since 6.2.
Also, since others mentioned it, I would say that efficiency is about the same as I've experienced for this time of year and weather in the past. I'd like to believe it's improved a little, but I doubt it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428425864.776335.jpg

what I am saying is that between two users, User A and User B, who might have bought the car on the same day, live next to each other and have identical commute, and exact same mileage, still there could be 30% difference in rated range. This difference would entirely be due to different driving pattern.
However, they would have very similar ideal range, which depends on the battery condition and minor SW version variations.

Also for the first six months of the year, I could drive like a maniac and average 450wh/mile and next six months I could just 55 and cruise control and get 270wh/mile. And for the first six months and the next six months there would be large variation in my rated range.

In other words, the point I am trying to make, is by telling me your rated range, all I really get to know is your driving pattern and little else.

what I am saying is that between two users, User A and User B, who might have bought the car on the same day, live next to each other and have identical commute, and exact same mileage, still there could be 30% difference in rated range. This difference would entirely be due to different driving pattern.
No this is not correct. Same model (rated range calculation is different for Model S 60 and Model S P85D as the Wh/rated-mile is different) will have the same Wh/rated-mile on the same firmware version.
You really are confusing projected range and rated range.
Rated range does not change with driving habits.
However, they would have very similar ideal range, which depends on the battery condition and minor SW version variations.
Just like rated range. Really. Seriously. Trust me.
Also for the first six months of the year, I could drive like a maniac and average 450wh/mile and next six months I could just 55 and cruise control and get 270wh/mile. And for the first six months and the next six months there would be large variation in my rated range.
No there would not.
In other words, the point I am trying to make, is by telling me your rated range, all I really get to know is your driving pattern and little else.
Not true. That's my point. I think I'm running out of ways to tell you that you are confused. :)

I was seeing consistent rated range of 229 miles prior to 6.2 @ 90%. I'm back up to 242, like when the car was new 28 months and 50,000 miles ago since 6.2.
Also, since others mentioned it, I would say that efficiency is about the same as I've experienced for this time of year and weather in the past. I'd like to believe it's improved a little, but I doubt it.

View attachment 77188

That range bump has persisted across multiple charge cycles now? Or back closer to 229 @ 90%?

Okay. On my car rated range corresponds to 304 wh/mile which is very close to my average wh/mile for last several thousand miles.
If I am not mistaken, my rated range number used to correspond to 28x wh/mile but then through the year my average miles went up and so did rated range number.

Okay. On my car rated range corresponds to 304 wh/mile which is very close to my average wh/mile for last several thousand miles.
If I am not mistaken, my rated range number used to correspond to 28x wh/mile but then through the year my average miles went up and so did rated range number.

If what you're claiming were true, Rated miles at a given SOC would decrease as your average Wh/mi increased.

Rated range is a measure of the battery pack's state of charge (SOC, by which I mean Tesla's calculation of the electrical power stored in the traction pack, usually given in %), and has nothing to do with driving style. For a given SOC , the Rated miles number displayed on your instrument cluster only changes when you get a new firmware update, because Tesla keeps tweaking the algorithms that calculate SOC and convert SOC to Rated miles. The Rated number also varies from an S60 to an S/P85 to an 85D to a P85D (again, for a given SOC), because each variant of the Model S uses slightly different coefficients in the conversion from SOC to Rated miles. The same holds true for Ideal miles, it's just a different conversion.

The number affected by driving style and current conditions is Projected miles remaining as displayed on the right side of the Energy app. Oh, and also the Energy app's display of Wh/mi over the last 5/15/30 mi, at screen left, and the Trip meters' Wh/mi.

I find that extremely hard to believe. That's way too high for a 60 and not something I have seen reported before.
Can I ask you how you determine this?
An easy way is to look at the Energy app in 30mile mode. It draws a line for the 'rated' wh/mile. Can you post a screenshot of that?

You know, I think I might just be using less energy with the new update. But it might also be that I have had the car long enough now (4.5 months) that I am not hammering it as much as usual. My usage has dropped from approx 355 down to 325kWh. I have really noticed it in the last two weeks. I still do give it the go lots. So I am not sure. As far as the rated range, my daily use is low enough that I am not really paying too much attention to that. More to the consumption, unless on a trip. And it seems to be slowly and consistently dropping. But there are so many variables, it is hard to tell what might be the cause.