Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 changes and leasing now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hahaha.... Investment. A car is never an investment. An investment is something that earns your money. A new car is throwing $100 dollar bills out your window whole driving.
I disagree. I am investing in Tesla, investing in EV technology, investing in Elon, and I already calculated the depreciation in my car and accounted for that. Protecting my investment means not going bankrupt, not holding a fire sale, and not depreciating my purchase at an accelerated rate.

Reactions: ecarfan
I understand how people who aren't annoyed by these changes feel, however everyone is not the same.

I don't criticize those who don't do anything about things like this, however I wish the same could be reiterated.

Anyone that is content when vendors change prices as Tesla does is loved by a vendor such as Tesla.

I know I would be.

I would be elated if I sold a widget and I could move prices at my whim and NO ONE says anything.

1. I don’t “like” it.
2. But I don’t EXPECT a price difference after I signed a contract unless the contract says they will honor any price adjustments after x days. It is what it is.
3. If Tesla raised prices, would you willingly pay more after your initial agreed amount?

I really have no gripes with service at the local Honda and Lexus dealerships. The have comfy waiting rooms with food and drinks, loaners for longer services, and the one time one of them screwed something up during a repair, they fixed it the next day (not without trying to stare me down, but they did fix it). We didn't buy the cars at either one, but that's never been an issue. Most importantly, there are dealerships all over the place -- within the 45 for the nearest Tesla service center, there are 3 Lexus dealers and probably 6 or 8 Honda dealers. Some competition likely motivates them to stay in shape, and convenience is surely a thing.

All that said, I'm not going to miss the oil changes and other regular maintenance. Here's hoping for few enough visits that I won't be bothered by the distance to the service center. :)

I prefer the minimal disruption to my daily life.

1. I don’t “like” it.
2. But I don’t EXPECT a price difference after I signed a contract unless the contract says they will honor any price adjustments after x days. It is what it is.
3. If Tesla raised prices, would you willingly pay more after your initial agreed amount?

What?

Would I pay more after my initial agreed amount? Absolutely not. Just as no one will pay more for FSD that have it now after May 1st.
That's just not a good question.

I'm not typing my explanation again...so....here it is.

Cost of FSD to start increasing after May 1st

• Disagree
Reactions: SO16
up until the Model 3 came out, the average AGI of a Tesla buyer was in the mid 300's. I never said that was a lot of money. My property taxes cost more than a base model 3.
I'm surely not the only one who thinks a 7500 credit on a 100k+ auto is kinda wrong.
So what exactly is "kinda wrong"? $100k+ EVs make the planet better just like another others. Maybe more as many are switched from ICE sports cars that can be awfully inefficient.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
Two things: First off, I know a car is a depreciating asset. I am not talking about a normal loss on a car. I am talking about a plummet. I bought a Tesla. Not a Pontiac.

Second, making $2000 profit is not viable on a car when it comes with an 8 year warranty. One recall or issue and you can go into the red. If you’re not making $10,000-$20,000 then you shouldn’t bother with the sale.

Haha I was making a point I don't know the full specifics but if you think manufactures are making 10-20k on a 35-45k vehicles you're funny... At that rate then they would Aldo ve making 7-10k profit on a Corolla, highly doubtful.

Also what's the profit from a Model 3 Performance? Probably a good amount so we know a lot of people are buying the higher end Model 3s...it evens out if most model 3s make only 2-5k in profit and some make 7-12k in profit. At the end of the day like I said most companies understand this and they know this... They would rather make 2-5k in a car and sell way more than make 10k and sell a small number. You make a valid point with class action lawsuits etc. Like I said I don't know exact numbers but I do know most manufactures acknowledge this, mainstream why do you think Honda, Toyota Hyundai are in the business of selling mass numbers rather than luxury cars... Cause in the end they make more money that way.

Totally agree. I drive a 2016 Leaf, and got excited when they announced the new Leaf Plus, with a range of 226mi. A great improvement to my current range. I was all set to trade in this Leaf for a new Leaf Plus ----- until I saw the price!! A 226-mile Leaf Plus (the SL version with leather seats, Pro-Pilot assist, Bose stereo, etc) before adding any paint, options or accessories starts at $43,000!!! And it still looks like an ugly Prius.

So what would I rather spend $45,000 on:
1.) a 226-mi car that looks like a Prius and will never be better than the day you drive it off the lot? or
2.) a 325-mi car that looks and drives like a sexy sports car, and constantly improves with over-the-air updates?

No brainer!

(Ordered my Tesla last week. It is now in Nashville, awaiting my pickup in 7 days!!!!)

Thank you, somebody gets it... Like seriously a Kona, Prius, Leaf, or a Model 3....lol doesn't take brains.

Reactions: Mdoss
Haha I was making a point I don't know the full specifics but if you think manufactures are making 10-20k on a 35-45k vehicles you're funny... At that rate then they would Aldo ve making 7-10k profit on a Corolla, highly doubtful.

Also what's the profit from a Model 3 Performance? Probably a good amount so we know a lot of people are buying the higher end Model 3s...it evens out if most model 3s make only 2-5k in profit and some make 7-12k in profit. At the end of the day like I said most companies understand this and they know this... They would rather make 2-5k in a car and sell way more than make 10k and sell a small number. You make a valid point with class action lawsuits etc. Like I said I don't know exact numbers but I do know most manufactures acknowledge this, mainstream why do you think Honda, Toyota Hyundai are in the business of selling mass numbers rather than luxury cars... Cause in the end they make more money that way.
Fossil fuel cars can be hugely profitable. I will guess that a $40k-$50k 4Runner costs less than $20k to build.

It’s been discussed and evaluated many times by multiple experts. A Model 3 costs $30k-$35k to build. $10k-$15k profit is a starting point on awd and $20k+ profit on performance is easy. The trouble comes on the SR and SR+ that might cost $30k to build but yield little profit. These cars have 8 year warranties. One medium problem equals a loss.

Ah but building 5000 a week lowers the unit cost for everyone. You can't sell 5000 a week of the performance model.
And every car out there is a potential income source for Tesla also.
The 90% of cars that don't have FSD.
The potential to sell the screen time when they do have FSD.
Every 5000 you sell has 5000 more people showing it to their friends. Some of whom come in and buy the performance model and FSD.

Volume begets more volume. Some percentage of that volume is high profit. Who cares if some of the volume is break even?

Fossil fuel cars can be hugely profitable. I will guess that a $40k-$50k 4Runner costs less than $20k to build.

It’s been discussed and evaluated many times by multiple experts. A Model 3 costs $30k-$35k to build. $10k-$15k profit is a starting point on awd and $20k+ profit on performance is easy. The trouble comes on the SR and SR+ that might cost $30k to build but yield little profit. These cars have 8 year warranties. One medium problem equals a loss.

Your "guess" is wrong. Where are you hoovering up this nonsense?

ICE manufacturers operate on profit margins of typically 5-10%. Even the most profitable models are nowhere near 100% profitable. Toyota profit margins have been between 6 and 8 percent for the last several years.

Yes, SUVs and light duty trucks are more profitable than compact sedans, so they are maybe 15-20% profitable at most compared to barely breaking even on their entry level CAFE compliance cars.

Your "guess" is wrong. Where are you hoovering up this nonsense?

ICE manufacturers operate on profit margins of typically 5-10%. Even the most profitable models are nowhere near 100% profitable. Toyota profit margins have been between 6 and 8 percent for the last several years.

Yes, SUVs and light duty trucks are more profitable than compact sedans, so they are maybe 15-20% profitable at most compared to barely breaking even on their entry level CAFE compliance cars.

Thank you Voip-Ninja ... some people just don't get it...Sure a 4runner can make more profit than a Model 3 at the same price point perhaps...but how much are they making off of Corollas or Camrys which is what a Model 3 basically competes with in terms of utility. Not to mention most of these ICE manufactures might make 8-10k on these models but then 6 months later release massive incentives like 3-5k off MSRP etc. The fact is these companies make money off of accessories, paint protection, financing, etc. As I mentioned I worked in retail when I was much younger at Best Buy and found out how much money the lost on Computers, TVs but gained much more back through accessories, warranties, optimizations etc. Its no different with cars nowadays competition is so big that they make cars with all these technologies at a bargain... I wouldn't be surprised if their "profits" are 5-7% and I also am not surprised if they lose money on certain models but gain more on others. The truth its majority of people will go for a Standard Plus and a another relatively large number will go to AWD...and a much smaller number will go for M3P so it all evens out..the fact is the more you sell the more your brand gets bigger and thus you will grow... I am sticking to my point that selling 300,000 at 2,000 profit is much better than selling 50,000 at 10,000 profit. I would argue that Tesla can make more than 2,000 profit on lower versions of Model 3s with AP/FSD , wheel upgrades, color upgrades.

[QUOTE="I think Tesla could benefit from charging subscription for FSD etc cause for some people they may not use it all year you know?[/QUOTE]
I don't think so... FSD is becoming quite good now, passing vehicles switching freeways. I would upgrade if I was rich, but I basically have to die driving this car well not driving it, but you know until I die.

up until the Model 3 came out, the average AGI of a Tesla buyer was in the mid 300's. I never said that was a lot of money. My property taxes cost more than a base model 3.
I'm surely not the only one who thinks a 7500 credit on a 100k+ auto is kinda wrong.

Mid 300s, damn, that's more than I have made in my lifetime prob. I UBER in my model S to pay for it.

You can lease two Chevy Bolts for the lease cost of a model 3.
Charge!!!

And that's two cars with approximately the same MSRP. I leased a Bolt 18 months ago because I couldn't get a model 3 at the time. Getting ready to replace another car on lease next month. May purchase a model 3, but this lease is really non competitive. Really disappointing.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
A little off topic but the does the wording on the AP/FSD part of ordering process seem suspicious? It says "Includes the Full Self Driving Computer" on the bottom, does this mean if you don't choose the $5000 FSD option that it will not include the FSD computer...are they referring to the HW3 computer? Or are they saying the car includes the FSD computer already? I included the screenshot.

Attachments

• Tesla.PNG
    Tesla.PNG
    70.6 KB · Views: 53
A little off topic but the does the wording on the AP/FSD part of ordering process seem suspicious? It says "Includes the Full Self Driving Computer" on the bottom, does this mean if you don't choose the $5000 FSD option that it will not include the FSD computer...are they referring to the HW3 computer? Or are they saying the car includes the FSD computer already? I included the screenshot.

If you buy FSD you will get the HW3 computer swapped into your car if the car doesn't ALREADY HAVE IT (which basically 0 model 3s have it right now- but new ones being delivered shortly will) starting in a few months.

If you do not buy FSD, and have a car that lacks the HW3 computer, you won't get the HW3 computer- but also won't need it anyway since it's only needed for FSD.

The reason this question is funny is it didn't used to mention the computer- and people were mad about it, saying they couldn't trust Tesla to keep their word (despite a dozen or more public statements on the topic) that FSD buyers would get the new computer UNLESS THEY MENTIONED IT ON THE ORDER PAGE.

I pointed out they don't do that because to those who know WTF the computer is- they already have been the dozen other public statements so they don't need it....and for those who aren't sure what the computer is- it will just confused them.

So they added the wording anyway- and here we are with doing so leaving someone confused just as I said we would be :)

Reactions: diamond.g
If you buy FSD you will get the HW3 computer swapped into your car if the car doesn't ALREADY HAVE IT (which basically 0 model 3s have it right now- but new ones being delivered shortly will) starting in a few months.

If you do not buy FSD, and have a car that lacks the HW3 computer, you won't get the HW3 computer- but also won't need it anyway since it's only needed for FSD.

The reason this question is funny is it didn't used to mention the computer- and people were mad about it, saying they couldn't trust Tesla to keep their word (despite a dozen or more public statements on the topic) that FSD buyers would get the new computer UNLESS THEY MENTIONED IT ON THE ORDER PAGE.

I pointed out they don't do that because to those who know WTF the computer is- they already have been the dozen other public statements so they don't need it....and for those who aren't sure what the computer is- it will just confused them.

So they added the wording anyway- and here we are with doing so leaving someone confused just as I said we would be :)

I am just glad it is finally in writing on their website.

I am sure the upgrade scheduling process will be thoroughly bungled so that will be the next thing we get to complain about :) I just hope they do right by those 2016 FSD early adopters and get them the hardware first.

So if I don't by the FSD right now...that will still come with 2.5 HW. Say in 1-2 years I decide to pay the $7000 for FSD (price for not adding it initially) will that include the upgrade to HW3 or just the software for FSD but will run on HW2.5 ?