Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifying the accelerator for more right leg room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past I have asked my local friendly racecar-engineering company if they could fit a power steering rack assembly , and at a different time, move the accelerator + brake pedals forward slightly (This was years ago, not a Tesla).

They politely refused to do either job, stating that their insurance indemnity (or some such) would not cover them for certain modifications to key parts of road cars, especially if there was one day a serious claim for a major accident possibly linked to incorrectly modified linkages vital to the cars handling. So, If I wanted a 600 BHP turbo upgrade, revised gearing, bigger 6 pot brakes etc - no problem. Pedal box moved forward ?? = instant no no.

At the time I asked other companies if they could do it, and got more or less the same answer, along with a few 'we'll do it for cash, and you sign something to say you did the work yourself and we merely supplied the bits'.

I don’t know if this kind of legal reasoning applies to car mods in the USA, but its worth thinking about.