Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y very efficient (Las Vegas trip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Departed San Diego with 310 miles @ 100%

First leg from San Diego to Yermo, the picture is the results.

65 degrees in San Diego and 90 degrees in Yermo, constant speed at 70mph.

Arrived Yermo Ca with 72 miles as it’s a lot of up hill driving, plenty left so next time I should take it to 75 Mph. This ride is very efficient. 275 wh/mi ... 199 miles @ 70mph.

Tire Pressure: Started with 46 PSI and had to deflate some of the Air in the tires as it got up to 54 PSI, dropped it back down to 48 PSI in Yermo, then in Baker I notice it climb back to 54 PSI, Temp in Baker was 104, again I deflated the tires some more and back to 48 PSI where it remained.

Supercharger ramped up to 148kw and stayed there for a while, departed to Henderson Nv with 290 miles and left at 10:33am. Drove at 80 mph and arrived with 40% left.

Auto Pilot for the WIN !!! ... used Auto Pilot 90% of the trip.

At highway speeds the A/C worked great but once in Las Vegas @ 110 degrees, driving around the City the A/C would not blow cold air.

43C05E4E-CFAA-4FBB-A431-5B7F479F3D8D.jpeg

Fred

I got my Y today in Phoenix. It was 115 degrees, than we got stuck behind an accident on I-10 on our way back to Tucson. The AC did not like that. I figured out which of the little symbols indicated the recirculate and turned it on. It works very well, though the ambient temp had dropped about 20 degrees.

I got my Y today in Phoenix. It was 115 degrees, than we got stuck behind an accident on I-10 on our way back to Tucson. The AC did not like that. I figured out which of the little symbols indicated the recirculate and turned it on. It works very well, though the ambient temp had dropped about 20 degrees.
Grats!!!, I read your post and you had a good delivery, cool and totally forgot to check Re-circulate air, will look at it in the morning. Thanks

One last note about this First leg San Diego to Yermo, ABRP had me arriving into Yermo with 37 miles at 70mph. I arrived with 72 miles.

Fred

Reactions: IdaBish
Why did you change tire pressure? As long as it’s set to factory specs per the door jam sticker *cold set* then it can climb and will climb in psi no problem.

My 3 is set to 41 but regularly climbs to 44 or so everyday while driving, perfectly normal.

You might want to get your HVAC checked out if it won’t blow cold air. Ours since in the sun all day and blows cold after a minute or so here in Vegas. I hope you don’t have whatever issue seems to be plaguing Y’s right now.

Last edited:
Last week driving from San Diego to Las Vegas I averaged around 350 Wh/m. Constant speed 75 (and a bit higher on the 70mph speed limit sections). LR AWD, TSportline TSS wheels, 20", Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+. Starting tire pressure around 44psi, never adjusted it as it didn't go over 50 (a

BTW: no A/C problems even at 109F outside. I do have 70% 3M Crystalline all around (except roof) though.

The Avatar is my Model 3, the model Y is AWD LR with 19” Gemini wheels, no hubcaps.

Fred

View attachment 557028
Beauty in blue, haven't seen a blue Y in person. Saw few reds, white and MSMs. My choice blue or red.
How do you find the ride comfort of your Y on 19" especially on these >45 PSIs compared to your Model 3 ? Which one do you find more comfortable for long trips and not feeling much on your body.

Took the ride out today, Temps 115 and no cold air, it cools just a little on the highway so there’s a problem with it.

Rebooted the car using the 2 buttons on the steering wheel, the A/C seems to be working now, parked in the shade, temp 115 degrees and now at 83 degrees. So a reboot fixed it.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred42 and RoBoRaT