Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaseplan (company car) have just confirmed my delivery for 10/02/22. As they were slow this order was confirmed 3 weeks after the model y went live so I feel I am probably in the middle of the queue? Now expecting to see deliveries end of Jan.
Ordered mine on 15th Oct and was thinking it would probably be March (as quoted by all the reviews), so if this is correct I'm going to need tranquillisers to stay calm in Jan!!

Unlikely.

Suspect first sign of the new battery will come when Texas/Berlin start producing.
What are people's feelings about this? Are you concerned and considering delaying their order?

I am hoping we get some hints as to the possible implementation of this new tech before delivery to aid in the decision.

Ie will they use the possibility of extra efficiency to increase the M Y range or to reduce the battery required to get the same range (reducing their cost).

What are people's feelings about this? Are you concerned and considering delaying their order?

I am hoping we get some hints as to the possible implementation of this new tech before delivery to aid in the decision.

Ie will they use the possibility of extra efficiency to increase the M Y range or to reduce the battery required to get the same range (reducing their cost).
They have already said that the first Ys from Berlin will use 2170s, so you'll probably have to wait until something like Q4 next year if you want 4680s.
Having said this, personally I would wait for a Y with 4680s, as they will either make the cars lighter; give more range; some combination of both ;)

They have already said that the first Ys from Berlin will use 2170s, so you'll probably have to wait until something like Q4 next year if you want 4680s.
Having said this, personally I would wait for a Y with 4680s, as they will either make the cars lighter; give more range; some combination of both ;)
Or will they.. What if the range stays the same and Tesla just trousers the cost saving from installing a smaller pack?

I believe its even worse in the US as West Coast customers could get 2170's from Fremont and East Coast customers could get 4680's from Austin. How are they going to manage that without upsetting people?

Or will they.. What if the range stays the same and Tesla just trousers the cost saving from installing a smaller pack?

I believe its even worse in the US as West Coast customers could get 2170's from Fremont and East Coast customers could get 4680's from Austin. How are they going to manage that without upsetting people?
Smaller pack would be lighter and therefore range should go up somewhat.

I'd imagine that they either keep all the stats based on the 2170 model, and if you get a 4680 then it will outperform those stats. Or they will bring out a new, more expensive, variant which has the extra range that the 4680s provide (the extra long range ;) )

I believe the new bat tech would potentially add 15% (could be wrong).

I think they might just reduce the size of the onboard bat to match the current range yet as someone else mentioned it would still offer some small increases.

I hope that it becomes clearer before my delivery so I can delay if required though it might just arrive to some lucky individuals with little fanfare.

I’m considering delaying my Y even though I ordered within the hour of them being available to order.

I’ve picked Tesla M3s with 18” wheels specifically to aid ride quality - I’ve had too many BMWs with low profile run flat tyres that were uncomfortable. Maybe I’m just getting old.

Reviews seem to keep highlighting the Y has a harsher ride and, as I fitted a dismantled 185cm wardrobe in my 3 last weekend, I’m struggling to justify the £8k ish cost to switch at the moment.

I think it will be easier to justify if the tech has a stepped improvement too. I’m off to Westfield later today to try and reach a conclusion.

Reactions: eaglesrest
I've been looking to try and find this sort of information re the new 4680s and the Y- any links?

I'd imagine that they either keep all the stats based on the 2170 model, and if you get a 4680 then it will outperform those stats. Or they will bring out a new, more expensive, variant which has the extra range that the 4680s provide (the extra long range ;) )
What I was getting at was with 2170's the pack is what, 75kwh'ish to achieve the stated 316 miles. With a lighter pack they could reduce the size both physically ('cos they are packaged more efficiently) and in capacity. So they might only need 70kwh to achieve the same range. The customer would see no difference in range.

What I was getting at was with 2170's the pack is what, 75kwh'ish to achieve the stated 316 miles. With a lighter pack they could reduce the size both physically ('cos they are packaged more efficiently) and in capacity. So they might only need 70kwh to achieve the same range. The customer would see no difference in range.

Reactions: MrT3
For what it’s worth, update from West Drayton Sales Centre today on the steps towards Y deliveries in UK. Still no official indication of when deliveries will start. Opening of order page a few weeks ago was stage 1. Stage 2 is expected in January - which will be the opening of the Financing Options page for Y orders. Stage 3 will be confirmation of delivery dates.

• Helpful
Reactions: s88ats
Reckon either you pay more for a longer range (cant see this otherwise they'd have to have a LR LR!), or the range/charging speed will be the same regardless of the battery tech. Can't see 4680s being in production until mid 22 at the earliest IMHO.

Last edited: