Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Pedestrian Warning System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All these talks about disabling the pws and no one seems to worry about being sued into oblivion if a pedestrian gets hurt because of it.

I went shopping at Costco and the only times I heard the sound is when I back out of my garage and the parking at Costco for a grand total of 10 seconds. It's really no big deal.

I don’t intend to just run people over if they’re in my way. At the same time I expect people to be looking at the road if they plan to cross it.

I don’t intend to just run people over if they’re in my way. At the same time I expect people to be looking at the road if they plan to cross it.
Trucks go beep beep beep when backing and I'm sure they are highly visible and that the truck drivers don't intend to run people over. But people at times are distracted, so a little sound to pull them out of their reverie is something we all should learn to live with if it saves lives. Backing out of a parking spot takes a few seconds and when going forward the sound comes out only when the car detect pedestrians and stops when it no longer does.

The system isn't for "the roadway". It's for tight spots like parking lots. In case of a significant pedestrian injury the accident investigator is going to know when an EV should have a working pedestrian warning system. Cops in cities with a lot of EVs are already asking for Tesla dashcam footage in an accident.

A working system is also a good way for an EV driver to claim that the pedestrian should have been aware of the car. Older cars without the requirement of the system potentially face the claim that "the EV snuck up on me". People at fault in a accident often lie. In a low speed pedestrian accident the burden of proving "not at fault" is on the driver of the car.

FYI - the speaker itself is $55 from Tesla (part number 1299965-00-A). I'm trying to find someone locally who want to get rid of theirs, if that fails will just buy it from Tesla.

For me it's mainly that sometimes people are standing/chatting right at the spot where you want to reverse into, and to avoid people not paying attention and stepping into the space you are just moving into.

I'm not advocating for a specific sound but shouldn't we have a universal sound shared by all ev brands so that pedestrians will automatically associate the sound with a nearby moving ev, i.e. like trucks going beep beep when backing up?