Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Pedestrian Warning System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

DATES:
Effective April 27, 2018.

Compliance dates: Compliance with FMVSS No. 141 and related regulations, as amended in this rule, is required for all hybrid and electric vehicles to which these regulations are applicable beginning on September 1, 2020. The initial compliance date for newly manufactured vehicles under the 50-percent phase-in as specified in FMVSS No. 141 is delayed by one year to September 1, 2019.

My May build Y (VIN 66XX) doesn't have the sound in either direction. I haven't been motivated enough to see if the speaker is installed or not. If it is installed and activated later via OTA, I'm unplugging it unless Elon's promise of configurable sounds is added.

Reactions: laservet
If the forward sound is so low that I cant hear it with the windows open, I don't think it will serve the purpose of warning pedestrians. Might just be that the amp connects and is a bit noisy.

Reverse sound will get their attention though.

That was my thought also. For the intended purpose, forward sound should be at least or more prevalent that reverse sound.
I too thought the car only made a sound in reverse.
But tonight I discovered that this car is smarter than I thought.
It does makes a sound when going forward, but only if there are pedestrians close to the road.
Makes sense doesn't it. Otherwise it would be on all the time in stop and go traffic or in the drive-thru.
Very cool!

Reactions: zecar
I too thought the car only made a sound in reverse.
But tonight I discovered that this car is smarter than I thought.
It does makes a sound when going forward, but only if there are pedestrians close to the road.
Makes sense doesn't it. Otherwise it would be on all the time in stop and go traffic or in the drive-thru.
Very cool!

I found the same. Not pedestrians, I think. Just forward ultrasonic sensor pings.

All these talks about disabling the pws and no one seems to worry about being sued into oblivion if a pedestrian gets hurt because of it.

I went shopping at Costco and the only times I heard the sound is when I back out of my garage and the parking at Costco for a grand total of 10 seconds. It's really no big deal.

Reactions: frankvb and Reborn