Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y, no blind spot warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was shocked to find that there is no blind spot warning on Model Y. So if you are driving and there is a car in your blind spot and you signal the turn, there is no warning, nothing, crickets! The setting for some blind spot warning is enabled in settings under auto-pilot, but I suspect this comes into play only if you are using auto-pilot.

For supposedly very safe car, its mind boggling there is no blind spot warning. What am I missing???

I was shocked to find that there is no blind spot warning on Model Y. So if you are driving and there is a car in your blind spot and you signal the turn, there is no warning, nothing, crickets! The setting for some blind spot warning is enabled in settings under auto-pilot, but I suspect this comes into play only if you are using auto-pilot.

For supposedly very safe car, its mind boggling there is no blind spot warning. What am I missing???

There is blind spot detection, but it doesn't work like other cars.

There's information on the display and it will react if you try to move into a car.

When driving in Autopilot there is that chime.

If you attempt to turn into someone sitting in the blindspot, the vehicle will warn you (and nudge you back) once you get too close. You will also see it on the display. I personally would like a chime when I turn the blinker on if someone is there, but that isn't how it's designed. So yes, there is blind spot detection, it just doesn't work like most other manufacturer systems.

There is blind spot detection, but it doesn't work like other cars.

There's information on the display and it will react if you try to move into a car..

That is just crazy. I don't need it to react if I am moving into another car, other drive will already by honking at me and its likely too late.

This should work like any other blind spot warning on other cars. This is crazy that Tesla doesn't have this feature.

If you attempt to turn into someone sitting in the blindspot, the vehicle will warn you (and nudge you back) once you get too close. You will also see it on the display. I personally would like a chime when I turn the blinker on if someone is there, but that isn't how it's designed. So yes, there is blind spot detection, it just doesn't work like most other manufacturer systems.

I tried it yesterday, it does nothing man. This "feature" does not work correctly and its unsafe.

Not saying it shouldn't have it, but I personally ignore my current cars blind spot warning light all the time. It's too slow. The light will be on when there is someone past the point where my car is clear to move over. So the light is telling me "woah, don't move over someone is there", then I check my mirror and look over my should and say "no there isn't", and move over anyway. So at least in the implementation were it isn't fast/accurate and I just ignore it, the feature is useless anyway.

The side cameras (the ones located above the front wheel and the ones located on the side pillar) could be used as blind spot monitor.

In Japan, the Model X is considered as an SUV and needs to have a blind spot monitor for the opposite side of the driver.

It would be interesting to be able to record the side camera when using Sentry mode.

1. Japanese Model X (Right-Hand Drive) with a blind spot monitor on the dashboard.

jp-model-x-side-camera-1-jpg.541344

2. The display shows the right side of the car using the central pillar camera.

jp-model-x-side-camera-2-jpg.541345

3. Overview of the car showing the image displayed by the side camera.

jp-model-x-side-camera-4-jpg.541353

You’re not missing anything. Tesla’s implementation of blind spot monitoring is trash.

If what they have today is their excuse for blindspots monitoring it is far from accurate or functional in the majority of cases. I have tried to "test" it multiple times. Seriously all they need to do is use the radar or camera and if we turn on the blinker just beep at us, it's that easy!
In order to test it, you have to get close enough to the other vehicle to freak them out.

Reactions: Stach
If what they have today is their excuse for blindspots monitoring it is far from accurate or functional in the majority of cases. I have tried to "test" it multiple times. Seriously all they need to do is use the radar or camera and if we turn on the blinker just beep at us, it's that easy!

I agree. No wonder they have to do software updates when they don't have basic stuff working right.

I am seriously considering returning my car, buffeting, loud inside, subpar finishing and interior combined with things like this and I am thinking this car is not worth the asking price. This is at most $35k car that is being sold at $60k.

there is validity to this post and also it’s not so bad and has plenty of value, following up on Model Y, no blind spot warning? ... from my experience on my Model 3, the blind spot alerts and red visual alert lines on autopilot display only appear when you use your turn signals .. if you’re in the habit of always using turn signals even on a lonely stretch of road, it should work for you, it would catch approaching cars from ok distance too. Try testing by indicating turn signal while at a stoplight and there’s a car in the lane you’re signaling into.

there is validity to this post and also it’s not so bad and has plenty of value, following up on Model Y, no blind spot warning? ... from my experience on my Model 3, the blind spot alerts and red visual alert lines on autopilot display only appear when you use your turn signals .. if you’re in the habit of always using turn signals even on a lonely stretch of road, it should work for you, it would catch approaching cars from ok distance too. Try testing by indicating turn signal while at a stoplight and there’s a car in the lane you’re signaling into.

That's what I am saying there is no audible warning when using turn signals and there is a car in your blind spot or on your side. Effectively there is no blind spot warning feature in the car.

Reactions: Stach
ah yes, misread your post.. I’ve developed a habit of checking on the display prior to a lane change on top of checking the side mirror to check for highlighted red lane. The loud warning will come on when car thinks you’re about to crash to adjacent car, but that’s due to a different feature and not blind spot warning.

ideally Tesla would release an update to make a bigger chunk of the screen go red or a tone on the side of concern; and I wish they would turn on the side fender camera when turn signal is used and display on screen.

for now I’m used to how it works but there’s definitely room for improvement- i find enough value in it that I miss the aid when not driving the Tesla and worry I would hit an invisible ghost car