Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y, no blind spot warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't the screen showing all the cars enough?
Even if it did (it doesn't show you cars behind you unless they are very close, and unlike other BSM it doesn't show cars further behind but approaching very fast) it just makes no sense to look the wrong way (and a bit downwards). Also, in terms of (human) information processing a single warning light is way easier than a screen with lots of items.

Reactions: tmartin and Stach
If you attempt to turn into someone sitting in the blindspot, the vehicle will warn you (and nudge you back) once you get too close. You will also see it on the display. I personally would like a chime when I turn the blinker on if someone is there, but that isn't how it's designed. So yes, there is blind spot detection, it just doesn't work like most other manufacturer systems.
Can one ad an after market blind spot warning without running into warante problems?

That is just crazy. I don't need it to react if I am moving into another car, other drive will already by honking at me and its likely too late.

This should work like any other blind spot warning on other cars. This is crazy that Tesla doesn't have this feature.
I agree. I really love the light and sound on the BS warning I have now.

This should be fairly easy for Tesla to implement something that would be helpful. While they can’t put indications in the side mirrors without hardware modification they can do one or both of my other ideas:

1) In the visualization have any vehicle in the blind spot light up yellow. Much like it lights up red currently when there is a chance of collision. An optional audible chime might be helpful for some as well.

2) Display an icon or indicator near the speedo when they is a vehicle in the blind spot also with optional audible chime.

In both cases a warning should sound when the turn signal is activated and there is a vehicle in the blind spot.

This shouldn’t be that hard to do. I have had the car for about 8 months now and still find it unnatural for to look down before changing lanes. I have found that in certain situations when the lanes are not completely straight there is a huge blind spot. I have had several close calls over the 8 months I have owned it.

This should be fairly easy for Tesla to implement something that would be helpful. While they can’t put indications in the side mirrors without hardware modification they can do one or both of my other ideas:

1) In the visualization have any vehicle in the blind spot light up yellow. Much like it lights up red currently when there is a chance of collision. An optional audible chime might be helpful for some as well.

2) Display an icon or indicator near the speedo when they is a vehicle in the blind spot also with optional audible chime.

In both cases a warning should sound when the turn signal is activated and there is a vehicle in the blind spot.

This shouldn’t be that hard to do. I have had the car for about 8 months now and still find it unnatural for to look down before changing lanes. I have found that in certain situations when the lanes are not completely straight there is a huge blind spot. I have had several close calls over the 8 months I have owned it.
Tesla doesn't want you to drive. It wants the computer to drive for you would be my only guess as to why this feature which comes standard on a Hyundai has not made it to tesla. The software already detected the cars around the car, i would say if the driver indicates and the software has a car in sight it should just beep. Currently, the car you may hit will turn RED on the screen and flash. But sorta dangerous to look at the screen and turn at the time.

Tesla doesn't want you to drive. It wants the computer to drive for you would be my only guess as to why this feature which comes standard on a Hyundai has not made it to tesla. The software already detected the cars around the car, i would say if the driver indicates and the software has a car in sight it should just beep. Currently, the car you may hit will turn RED on the screen and flash. But sorta dangerous to look at the screen and turn at the time.
I don't know they intended that, I think it was an oversight on their part. They clearly built the cars for driving pleasure first and foremost IMO. Track mode, driving modes, great handling, quick acceleration, etc. The driving assistance features are only there to help out when you don't want to drive but have to.

Yes, the cars light up red, but you have to cross into their lane or they into yours before that happens. That's isn't a good implementation. Crossing into another person's lane could cause a chain reaction. The best approach is to alert the driver before they initiate a lane change.

Reactions: Stach and frankvb