Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Blind Spot Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Giving serious consideration to MY LR. For me I find the right side blind spot troubling. Really wish it had those warnings in the side mirrors.

Question, how has your experience been as owners with the right side blind spot, how bothersome or concerning?

Giving serious consideration to MY LR. For me I find the right side blind spot troubling. Really wish it had those warnings in the side mirrors.

Question, how has your experience been as owners with the right side blind spot, how bothersome or concerning?
I've been driving my MYLR for a couple of weeks now. My previous cars always had the light in the mirror and that system works well. I find the Tesla system works well also. I configured the car to show the camera view on the side of the car where I'm changing lanes into when i engage the turn signal. That is a great view for changing lanes, better than turning your head around. The visualization on the left side of the screen also shows cars that are in your blind spot and I think makes them red if you turn on your signal and they are in your path.

Reactions: MattM24
I've installed Suma performance mirrors which are great - Tesla Model Y

And obviously, always do a quick head-turn check as well.

BTW: I don't like the camera view that much as it requires you to look at the screen which can be completely opposite to where you're going. Don't trust the visualisation as it can easily miss vehicles.

BTW2: the Tesla will beep loudly and steer you back (if enabled in the settings) at the point where you are about to steer into another vehicle. That in itself is a good feature, I only wished it would beep earlier (not as loud) as soon as you use the indicator in such a case, which is fairly standard on other vehicles with BSM.

Last edited:
With properly adjusted mirrors, no issue at all. Its actually a bit worse on the drivers side to me, not passenger, but it works fine. I use the camera as a final glance / check.

I can confirm this to be true for me too. The driver's side wont go out and up enough for me. the round shape of the top of the mirror prevents it from out out as far as I would like it, while pointing high enough. In order for me to move it further out, I have to lower the mirror more than I would like.

Since the passenger side is far away, I don't have the same issue.

As with all vehicles, if you lean to where your head is almost touching the B pillar, then adjust the driver's side mirror out to where it just passes the body, then on the passenger side, lean over the center console and do the same adjustment. In the end, the side view mirrors are an extension of the rear view mirror. It should look almost like 1 continuous mirror. As a vehicle comes up from behind, continues up and passes on either side, just as it comes out of view of the rear view mirror it shows up in the side view mirror, and will stay there until they are fully visible beside you.

Honestly, I too thought this would be an issue but it's not. The side cameras are situated perfectly and eliminate any blind spots, perfect for merging in traffic. I still do the physical spot check but find myself using the cameras a lot more. You get used to using them. As someone also mentioned, if there is a car in the lane next to you, it will appear red when you have the indicator on. If you decide to move into said lane, the car will beep and even maneuver away if it feels a collision is imminent. There is a setting to set the warning level (early, late or something to that effect).

Thank you everyone, really appreciate the comments. On my test drive it was concerning but camera with turn signal was pretty cool.
Sounds like something I would get used with mirrors set properly and the camera.

For the left side blind spot, I added a small inside mirror showing clearly with no distortion if there is a car passing on the left side.

Blind Spot Mirror .jpg

Note: There are some small mirrors that you can put on top of your side mirroror.
But those small mirrors have a spheric shape and thus showing a big image distortion
not providing good distance information and useless at night as you cannot see anything clearly.

Reactions: Z_Lynx
I don't miss them. I do miss the rear cross traffic alert though. Still can't get used to backing up without that...

I do admit to missing this a bit as well, especially because my 2018 model 3 doesnt have any sound whatsoever. I got used to sssssllllloooowwwwwlllly creeping out of spots when I park in head first, to give people a chance to see the car moving.

Its not the end of the world (and I am not trying to start up another "back in vs head in" debate) but it is a small "first world problem" type annoyance.

Another thing in that vein that I still miss is 360 degree views. All my previous BMWs had it. Again, not trying to start up a debate, and its certainly not "necessary" imo, its just one of the things I still miss a small amount.

Reactions: baguette
I do admit to missing this a bit as well, especially because my 2018 model 3 doesnt have any sound whatsoever. I got used to sssssllllloooowwwwwlllly creeping out of spots when I park in head first, to give people a chance to see the car moving.

Its not the end of the world (and I am not trying to start up another "back in vs head in" debate) but it is a small "first world problem" type annoyance.

Another thing in that vein that I still miss is 360 degree views. All my previous BMWs had it. Again, not trying to start up a debate, and its certainly not "necessary" imo, its just one of the things I still miss a small amount.
I back into spots more now. Yeah, 360 would be sweet!

Not quite sure if this is the page I was looking for but maybe. Adjusting mirrors really did work for me (thought the interior mirror idea has merit too):

Going to try this.
I missed one in the blind spot and only because i had a rear seat passenger say there is a car in the blind spot did i catch it before moving over. Also had the chime and avoidance turned off maybe re enable it as well.
Thanks Good Link!