Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - LA to SF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to see if a Model Y 2024 Performance can’t make it from Los Angeles (South Bay) to San Francisco (Marin) with just one change. It’s about 420 distance with stopping at Harris Ranch. Worried about the grapevine and being able to make 210-220 realistic miles.

Experience? Comments?

Thanks

You can do it. Grapevine in decent weather isn’t a huge issue, you regen a lot on the way down.

Lots of earlier options on I-5 if you have to call an audible.

Stopping twice will almost certainly be quicker if time is the driving factor.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
Charging once to 10-100% one time would take longer than charging to 80% twice. 80-100% takes like 30 min on its own when 10-80% would take just as long.

So you can either take 1 hour to charge 90% worth of the battery one time or 1 hour total to charge 140% of the battery over two charges.

Thanks for the information for a someone new to EV.

Has anyone done a trip similar length over the grapevine? Where did you stop (guessing twice) and how much time did it add? I do the trip in a ICE in about 6 hours or less.

Thanks again.

Just follow what the car recommends. It will plan charging to minimize travel time.

Assuming you normally make a stop to eat and make at least another restroom break stop, it shouldn’t be much more time than an ICE vehicle. There’s pretty much a supercharger at nearly every major exit off I5 in the Central Valley now.

Only thing to keep in mind is if your destination doesn’t have charging then you might want to charge a bit higher than the car recommends at the last charge stop and/or plan one more charge near your destination.

Has anyone done a trip similar length over the grapevine? Where did you stop (guessing twice) and how much time did it add? I do the trip in a ICE in about 6 hours or less.
Basically: start driving and go as far as you can, planning to stop and charge somewhere between 10-20% (or less if you’re comfortable).

There are ~4 chargers on I-5 in the Bakersfield area that are easy on/off. If you can make it all the way to Kettleman City or Harris Ranch even better.

Charge there for as long as it takes you to stretch/pee, get to ~80% or so MAX, and then do it again.

Run as low as you dare and work the bottom ~2/3 of your battery. This will be quickest.

I’m looking to see if a Model Y 2024 Performance can’t make it from Los Angeles (South Bay) to San Francisco (Marin) with just one change. It’s about 420 distance with stopping at Harris Ranch. Worried about the grapevine and being able to make 210-220 realistic miles.
First of all the advice given so far in this thread has been good. Theoretically yes 1 stop should be possible. Under "normal" conditions and traveling at around the speed limit you should be able to make it fully charged (100%) from El Segundo to Harris Ranch. ABRP agrees that it would be an arrival with about 10% remaining battery. The problem, as the others noted, to make it on stop you'd basically fully recharge the battery there. You'd be looking at something like 45 minutes to an hour to charge to reach say San Rafael or somewhere else in Marin county with about 10% again*.

But this is an interesting case. It is obviously at the mid-point both time and distance wise of this trip. Harris Ranch also has the BBQ restaurant by the new massive V3 install, and a sit-down lounge restaurant by the original V2 chargers. If you left in the morning and were willing to take 45 minutes to an hour for a sit down meal, the one stop option doesn't look that bad to me.
Seems to take 20 mins every time I pull off the freeway plus charge time. Want to do the trip a fast as I can. Two quick charges would be less time?
It shouldn't be talking 20 minutes plus charge time, especially on that I-5 route were most of them are pretty much right off the interstate. Harris Ranch is two right turns for example. You could be plugged in with a couple of minutes of getting off the interstate.

But yes, if your goal is to solely minimize the time of the trip, this assumes no other stops for meals, additional bathroom breaks, etc. It is again the aforementioned probably more realistically 50 minutes to an hour for 1 stop versus around ~25-30 minutes total charging* to get to Marin County on two smaller stops largely due to the slow nature of the the last 20% in charging to 100%.
Like ucmndd said, ideally you are looking at something like Kettleman City or Harris Ranch under good conditions. Stretch you legs, use the restroom or whatever, and hit the road again. Under fairly optimal conditions at the speed limit that would like something like Coalinga/Harris ranch charging just enough to get to somewhere like Patterson and repeating Patterson to whever you are going to Marin County. Something like that keeps you on the lower 2/3 of the battery most of the trip. ABRP puts that at 6 hours 3 minutes of driving and a total of 25 minutes of charging for a trip time of 6 hours 38 minutes (including it's default of 5 minutes of charging overhead time or the time it takes you to essentially find and plug in for each stop, which I've always found is typically on the high side).

The one stop would be 6 hours 50 minutes to 7ish hours. Driving faster than the speed limit changes the charging stops a bit, but also lowers the trip time i.e. roughly 5 miles over the speed limit gets you down to 6 hours 22 minutes with 2 stops, the 1 stop route wouldn't be possible anymore in all likelihood, etc.

Basically repeating what the others have already said, that stretch of I-5 is one of the most Supercharger dense roads in the country. The car itself should be giving you a fairly reasonable route when you tell it where in Marin County you are headed. Especially after the first leg, the car is going to get very good at estimating the conditions of the drive.

*Again as was mentioned above, that is just to get there either way. You'd presumably want to charge more at the last stop or again when you get to Marin County so the 1 stop to get there method is probably actually 2 total stops and the "quicker" 2 stop may end up being 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
If you can make it all the way to Kettleman City or Harris Ranch
I recommend you target Kettleman City or Harris Ranch. Kettleman City has the awesome Tesla Lounge at the northern site and In-n-Out and Bravo Farms at the southern site. All are great places to hang out or eat.
Harris Ranch's BBQ and steak are great too. You may want to charge a lot longer than needed at either place just so you can hang out there a bit longer.
You can also 'splash and dash' for a quick charge after a bio-break and get back on the road, however, I don't know of any other charging stations in the central valley that compare with the aforementioned in terms of being interesting places to visit.
As mentioned by others, there are plenty of other closer places if a headwind or heavy right foot make it look like Harris or Kettleman are a bit too far for comfort.

Experience? Comments?

Thanks
when you gotta go, you gotta go
stop and charge