Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Battery Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have a 2023 LR Model Y, and after seeing a YouTube video where the person's PCS failed under warranty, I started investigating. I've searched for the warranty online and on the mobile app and still need to check the manual (physical) and in the car version.

The video indicated that Tesla indicated that if the SOC is below 20% and the PCS failed then the cost of repairs will be billed to the owner as user error. This does not seem correct in that this indicates that a battery should not be used below 20% SOC. Their route planning tool goes under 20% many times, so why are they allowing this if this is the case?

I'm looking for the actual verbiage from their exclusion that states this regardless if this is covered under the new car warranty or the battery warranty.

Has anyone looked into this?

Reactions: tunnu
The video indicated that Tesla indicated that if the SOC is below 20% and the PCS failed then the cost of repairs will be billed to the owner as user error.
That is complete and utter bullshit.

I'm looking for the actual verbiage from their exclusion that states this regardless if this is covered under the new car warranty or the battery warranty.
It doesn’t exist. Don’t waste your time looking for it.

I've searched for the warranty online

You probably found this, because its what comes up when you search online for "Tesla model Y warranty" but just in case, here is a link to the online warranty (for the US)

One thing I dont understand, is why so many people are ready to believe what some random person puts out in an online video, unless its backed up by data. If the youtube video actually had this information, the youtuber would have either linked to a copy of where they found it, or scanned and copied it and made it available for review.

If they are saying "tesla denied my in warranty claim because....." then any reasonable person would have told tesla to please show me where it says that exclusion in writing" or please put that exclusion on my paperwork so I have your warranty denial in writing, then shared that.

if NONE of that happened, and you cant find it in anything you found so far, then... well it should be pretty clear at that point what you are looking at.

You probably found this, because its what comes up when you search online for "Tesla model Y warranty" but just in case, here is a link to the online warranty (for the US)

One thing I dont understand, is why so many people are ready to believe what some random person puts out in an online video, unless its backed up by data. If the youtube video actually had this information, the youtuber would have either linked to a copy of where they found it, or scanned and copied it and made it available for review.

If they are saying "tesla denied my in warranty claim because....." then any reasonable person would have told tesla to please show me where it says that exclusion in writing" or please put that exclusion on my paperwork so I have your warranty denial in writing, then shared that.

if NONE of that happened, and you cant find it in anything you found so far, then... well it should be pretty clear at that point what you are looking at.

I'm not believing it, but I wanted to educate myself beforehand, just in case.

That is complete and utter bullshit.

It doesn’t exist. Don’t waste your time looking for it.

I know, but I wanted to ensure that I covered this beforehand. I hope something like this does not happen, but just in case, I wanted to know all of the rules and exceptions for the warranty. I don't want to be surprised when I'm told it's in the exceptions. Once knowledgeable, I can argue to the end because I know I covered all of my bases.

I’m not wasting 30 min watching a wanna-be “influencer’s” video, but I’ll throw in 2 thoughts:

1 - As an EE, I feel confident saying going below 20% will not cause the PCS to fail and that whoever came up with that is outright lying.
2 - What’s their warranty status? Chargers were never covered under the battery/drive unit warranty, ever. After the base 4/50 is done, time to pony up.

Totally false and misleading "information" isn't going to educate you, or anyone else. The "below 20%" discussion of warranty failure is total bullshit.
Just to clarify that the video will not educate me. As a user we or I need to be aware of the fine prints in any warranty. I don’t know about anyone else but if I see something that may be applicable then I do my homework myself by looking at all of the applicable documents. To each their own.

I have seen people who thought that their issue ( not EV related) was covered under warranty and only to be told that it’s not due to exclusions. They argued but at the end of the day they lost because it’s in the documents and they failed to read and know what’s in the documents.

I also did not check the full warranty details when I purchased so I’m now making myself aware. Period.

I also did not check the full warranty details when I purchased so I’m now making myself aware. Period.
Good practice. 👍

The Tesla warranty doc is the only source of truth. I've read it extensively and there are no such exclusions or provisions as described in this thread. Nor can I imagine any defensible or feasible scenario where they would TRY to add exclusions as described in this thread.