Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Y : up or downgrade??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

I’ve had a model X 90 D since 2017 (built 2016). We wanted a large EV and used to have to lug a whole lot of stuff around.

Now requirements is for 2 adults / one kid, city driving with occasional long trips (France) and sometimes bikes on back.

As MX is 6 years old /40k miles (did get the upgrade to screen/MCU), wondering if it’s worth getting the Y??

Anyone got opinions on the differences?

What’s it like not having the nav behind the wheel?

Electric seats(+ lumbar) as good, comfy for driver?

How’s autopilot without radar?

How’s the suspension on city roads, bumps and cruising?

Would appreciate thoughts from all and especially those who’ve made a similar change!!

Thank you!

Is there anything wrong with it?

IMHO you would be going from a halo car to a Ford Cortina.

I have a Model 3 with MCU 2/HW3. I have yet to hear anything that, at this point in time, makes me feel that I am missing out on latest hardware. I suspect similar with MCU2/HW2.x.

Reactions: Boogaloo
As MX is 6 years old /40k miles (did get the upgrade to screen/MCU), wondering if it’s worth getting the Y??

I think you will notice the reduction is space of the Y - but you might decide it has enough capacity for you

IMHO you would be going from a halo car to a Ford Cortina.

Yup, exactly that. For longer journeys then no air suspension, harsher ride, I would expect you to arrive afar more refreshed in the MX (I have an MS and an MY and I would only ever take the MS on a long journey)

How about getting the newest, 2nd hand, MX that you can? (Given that they are no longer available in RHD)

Hi everyone

I’ve had a model X 90 D since 2017 (built 2016). We wanted a large EV and used to have to lug a whole lot of stuff around.

Now requirements is for 2 adults / one kid, city driving with occasional long trips (France) and sometimes bikes on back.

Would appreciate thoughts from all and especially those who’ve made a similar change!!

Thank you!
The Rsymons YT channel had a comparison between the two. Horses for courses was the decision but ultimately the X was the better drive and more comfy car. Y has the edge on efficency

The price of something is usually a good indication of how good/bad it is.

The cheapest 6 years old (soon 7) Model X with big miles on the clock is just under £30k.

The Y is very new in comparison but it looks like you can already pick up a 2022 car for £36k.

Give it another 12-18 months and the used market for the Y will be like for the 3. 2019 3s are now £20k.

How much would a 6/7 year old Y with 100k+ on the clock be worth come 2030?

Tesla aren't making any RHD Xs, but battery/motor replacements are going to be supported for a long time to come with the models continuing in the US.

We are keeping our 2017 X till it falls apart (literally), it's still does everything we ask of it, and there is still no other car on the market like it....swapping it for a Y would just be a waste of ££££ for a very similar experience at best........but a Cybertuck.......That's a different thread ;).

I’d say in essence the MX feels like a more premium car but from an older generation, which is effectively what it is. Kind of like buying an older full fat Range Rover rather than a newer Evoke, there’s something about the older car many would prefer whereas technically there are a lot of enhancements on the newer car, although that’s not trying to be so premium.

I think extending the landrover analogy, you might also need deepish pockets at times to keep some of the overly complex MX elements working like the air suspension, falcon doors, etc

The price of something is usually a good indication of how good/bad it is.
Depends on who you ask.

In this case you cant really compare a Y to an X because the X has those very fancy back doors and extra binnacle which I would imagine add a fair bit to the cost of manufacturing. Wether such things makes it a better car is debatable.

The "extra" binnacle to me is of no value since in the past my driving position/confort was compromised due to the steering wheel obstructing the view.

The cheapest 6 years old (soon 7) Model X with big miles on the clock is just under £30k.

The Y is very new in comparison but it looks like you can already pick up a 2022 car for £36k.

Give it another 12-18 months and the used market for the Y will be like for the 3. 2019 3s are now £20k.
Just like batteries, most depreciation occurs at the beginning. You also have to bare in mind what an X cost new vs a 3/Y new. On the other hand if one cost 80k and the other cost 50k and age and mileage being equal now they now cost 60k and 30k with both having depreciated 20k then having compromised chosen the cheaper model when you could of had the more expensive one was a bad choice.

I did consider an X when I got the Y but the practicality, external size and more up to date/future proof tech swayed me to the Y. In my head I still prefer an X including the looks :)

At 6 yrs and 40K miles there is no way on earth I would consider a Y over the X. In short the X is a much much better car.

EVs are super reliable, battery degradation is quite minimal, nowhere near as complicated as an ICE so your X has many years of life left in it.

From a purely personal perspective the Y is pretty ugly with a massive fat arse, the X isn't exactly a nice looker either, but if the aesthetics suit you I don't see any benefit to have a Y and lots of positives for keeping the X.

The X when new cost twice the amount of the 3. The Y is just a three after a grenade was let off inside it - with most of the blast directed to the boot area - hence the massive booty.
You have suffered the very worst of the depreciation at 6 years so your will now devalue very slowly - The Y will shed value at a colossal rate (like the 3) and at the 10 year old stage of the X and a Y at 4 years I would guess the X will be worth more.

There is of course updated tech in the Y but as most of it doesn't work properly outside of the USA I don't see any benefit to having it apart from bragging rights down the pub.

However, If the driving factor is to satisfy a change of car and the Y will do what you want it to do then you will be able to change without a massive finacial penalty.
You go for what YOU want, our opinions really don't count.

Reactions: Dracaris and WllXM
I would suggest referring yourself for a free test drive of the Y (you can even earn points at the moment) and make your own opinion.
Agree with everything mentioned above, the two cars are not in the same segment, but there is a bit of a tech leap between a 1st-gen X and a Y.

Also, how much would you value having a warranty again? Especially given that your X is going to turn 8 next year and you are about to lose it on the battery and powertrain as well....

Reactions: Andrew*Debbie
You have suffered the very worst of the depreciation at 6 years so your will now devalue very slowly - The Y will shed value at a colossal rate (like the 3) and at the 10 year old stage of the X and a Y at 4 years I would guess the X will be worth more.

There are no M3, or Ys that are 6 years old so we will have to see. At some point the price of certain cars level and it's not a given that they will just keep dropping big time year on year otherwise all things relative there will be many cars on auto trader for sale at negative values 🤣

There are no M3, or Ys that are 6 years old so we will have to see.
Sorry, perhaps I didn't make my point in the manner i intended.

If the OP keeps the X for another 4 years - making the X 10 yrs old - or buys a brand new Y now - and in 4 yrs time compares the value of the car - then Im pretty sure the X will have a greater residual.

The 3 was first produced 7 years ago - late 2016 but only came to the UK in 2019. A 2019 3P that was £58K is now around £25k.
Its a fact depreciation slows as each year passes - first three years for majority of vehicles is 50% to 60% loss but subsequent years slow down.

When facelifts are introduced the original suffers a further loss of value - when a redesign is launched it has an even more profound effect, the 3 has had the facelift and now the redesign, The Y is planned to have the redesign of the Highland too.

The lack of a new S or X in RHD will go someway to ensuring the current UK cars hold their value much better.

Its a fact depreciation slows as each year passes - first three years for majority of vehicles is 50% to 60% loss but subsequent years slow down.
I generally agree with your post but this wasn’t strictly true for those of us who bought our cars in 2019 and 2020 because first year depreciation was nominal before values plummeted.

Extraordinary situation led to that maybe but IF the software for EAP/FSD does have a large stepped improvement (which we can use in the UK) I could see their values actually increasing. I don’t expect that to happen anytime soon tho.

Extraordinary situation led to that maybe but IF the software for EAP/FSD does have a large stepped improvement (which we can use in the UK) I could see their values actually increasing. I don’t expect that to happen anytime soon tho.

Even more extraordinary is OPs 2017 X(like mine) will be able to run the same FSD code as even a brand new 2023 3/Y today (I think RHDs are still HW3?) :).

Reactions: Doudeau and Drew57
I've just come back from another six weeks driving the family X in the USA. It has the feel and ride of a proper luxury car & the panoramic windscreen is fabulous.

My Model Y doesn't come close I'm afraid, nice though it is.

I generally agree with your post but this wasn’t strictly true for those of us who bought our cars in 2019 and 2020 because first year depreciation was nominal before values plummeted.

Completely agree with all your comments, indeed in 2022 I was offered £2.5K more by Tesla for my car than i paid (March 2020 M3P with FSD and White interior) In my 50 years of driving that's the only time I had a car that was worth more than I paid, but we are back to normality now.

The comment re Autopilot EAP and especially FSD - If they ever get that to work good in all conditions but with a driver in control then the cars with FSD will increase in value, If they get close to Robotaxi then I suspect even my 2020 would be worth £80K - commercially Robotaxi is worth its weight in gold. (But if and when they do they won't be selling FSD - it will only be available on subscription because Tesla will want a slice of the action)
Electric Jesus would also possibly try to buy back FSD from all that purchased it simply because he's a shrewd fellow (Nuts but shrewd)

Hi everyone

Thank you!
Hi, I have the same dilemma, having owned two and currently still own a m3p, I think my next Tesla will be the Y, I’ve looked at a 3 year old used X for not much more money but, here’s the ‘But’ no heat pump it has chrome all over it which I think looks awful, it’s going to be nowhere near as efficient in the watts per miles category, it has the 22” wheels which are going to be challenging on British roads to put it mildly, and when you look at the older model it’s looking dated now, bit like the last model S model.
Model 3P a nice car, but no good if you want to get a bike in the back, we took ours to the French alps last June for a cycling event and it was cramped, I think the Y would have been a better car for this. I’ll be test driving one after Christmas and if it drives similarly to the 3 then that’ll be my next car, all the latest tech ok the back doors don’t go up and down but to be honest that would be a bit embarrassing in a tesco car park.