Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X towing ability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a better shot of the setup. Caught a glimpse of it at the local Uhaul this afternoon.

View attachment 75665

Thanks. You did not, by chance, get another shot of the trailer? Just trying to extrapolate what the towing capacity might be.

IMO, since the skateboard is reported (I know it could be different) to be the same, TM is testing the towing capability for the X. Most likely they will have a 'tow mode' firmware option.

That is interesting. The wiring harness is a flat 4 connector so there is no brake controller in the car. I guess that's why the trailer says "Automatic hydraulic brakes". That is kind of disappointing. I was hoping Tesla would integrate a brake controller into the car to allow it to tow existing trailers that have brakes.

Hopefully they will integrate a brake controller before the X comes out and this is just one of many testing stages.

Thanks for the photos guys!

Thanks. You did not, by chance, get another shot of the trailer? Just trying to extrapolate what the towing capacity might be.

IMO, since the skateboard is reported (I know it could be different) to be the same, TM is testing the towing capability for the X. Most likely they will have a 'tow mode' firmware option.

Per uhaul site, gross weight of that trailer is 4400 pounds. They only rent one tandem axle utility trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

That is interesting. The wiring harness is a flat 4 connector so there is no brake controller in the car. I guess that's why the trailer says "Automatic hydraulic brakes". That is kind of disappointing. I was hoping Tesla would integrate a brake controller into the car to allow it to tow existing trailers that have brakes.

Hopefully they will integrate a brake controller before the X comes out and this is just one of many testing stages.

Thanks for the photos guys!

I don't think we should read too much into the cable. It's probably just temporarily installed, and they rented the u-haul because it has the surge brakes and they didn't have to install a controller. Just testing the towing capabilities before messing with the braking. After all, if they rate it less than 1500 pounds, they wouldn't need brakes on the trailer. :crying:

Here's a better shot of the setup. Caught a glimpse of it at the local Uhaul this afternoon.

View attachment 75665
Was the trailer empty? If not, can you estimate the weight of its contents?

Assuming this was the 6x12 open trailer, there's a big difference between hauling it empty (1700 lbs) and fully loaded (4400 lbs).

Towing around an empty trailer isn't really interesting to me. I need at least 4500 lbs to get really excited. If the Model X can haul >5000, it can replace both my pickup and my daily driver (Mini Cooper S).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think we should read too much into the cable. It's probably just temporarily installed, and they rented the u-haul because it has the surge brakes and they didn't have to install a controller. Just testing the towing capabilities before messing with the braking. After all, if they rate it less than 1500 pounds, they wouldn't need brakes on the trailer. :crying:
Let's start a rumor the Model X will have an integrated brake controller. Too bad I gave away my Tekonsha Prodigy when I bought my truck.

Assuming this was the 6x12 open trailer, there's a big difference between hauling it empty (1700 lbs) and fully loaded (4400 lbs).

Towing around an empty trailer isn't really interesting to me. I need at least 4500 lbs to get really excited. If the Model X can haul >5000, it can replace both my pickup and my daily driver (Mini Cooper S).
Here is another pic with something in it. I've asked around if anyone recognized what's inside. Maybe its a warehouse parts bin (plastic), which doesn't help the guessing.

Could this be a test mule for Model X towing capability? Anyone able to identify what's in the trailer to guess the weight?

Note the dealer plates and wheel sensors.

Tow capable Model S testing : teslamotors
Tow capable Model S testing - Imgur

View attachment 74509

- - - Updated - - -

Let's start a rumor the Model X will have an integrated brake controller. Too bad I gave away my Tekonsha Prodigy when I bought my truck.

I will bet there will be a built in controller. No problem getting rid of the Tek controller:wink:. What I was trying to ask very poorly upthread was if there was a spy shot of the trailer than could give us some indication of any payload. I need minimum 5500lbs, better 7K, but I would be thrilled with anything over 5K.

Here is another pic with something in it. I've asked around if anyone recognized what's inside. Maybe its a warehouse parts bin (plastic), which doesn't help the guessing.

That same photo is on post #7 of this thread.

Looks like bins, maybe 6 of them, maybe 50 gallons each. Filled with water, that'd be about 2400 lbs, or a gross of around 4000.

- - - Updated - - -

The trailer was being returned empty. It appeared to be the same one photographed earlier in the thread. I didn't take a picture of the trailer, but it was the dual axle.

Could this be a test mule for Model X towing capability? Anyone able to identify what's in the trailer to guess the weight?

Note the dealer plates and wheel sensors.

Tow capable Model S testing : teslamotors
Tow capable Model S testing - Imgur

View attachment 74509

I think that is a Model X mule, at least for towing tests. There is equipment around the wheels and the Model S body seems to be riding a little higher than normal. I would wager there is a Model X chassis underneath that car.

I think that is a Model X mule, at least for towing tests. There is equipment around the wheels and the Model S body seems to be riding a little higher than normal. I would wager there is a Model X chassis underneath that car.
Yea, that's my guess as well. Good catch on the ride height, I didn't catch that. Anyone with SAS care to say if High setting looks like that?

Tesla's trailer hitch attaches directly to the crossmember that is housed in the rear bumper, similar to the one I built up, but I'm sure they used steel. This gives more strength and allows for a 2x2 inch receiver tube. Mine uses the stock aluminum extrusion crossmember which could only be milled out enough for a 1.25 x 1.25 inch receiver. I've been hoping that mine would fail so I could replace it with a steel fabrication but no such luck. I've towed up to 1500 lb for long distances using lots of tongue weight and jumped on it with my feet just to be as stressful as possible.

I bought a 1900 lb Suzuki Swift to tow around as a Toad which will test the limits a bit further. If the hitch fails with this Toad, and I doubt it will, the bumper will safely retain the crossmember/hitch 'remains' in addition to the safety chains. The bumper/crossmember mountings at the end of the MS frame rails are massively strong - just smack it with a 4 lb sledge and it will bounce off like you hit solid rock. So it comes as no surprise to see Tesla hauling around 5k lbs.

With a steel xmember/hitch there is almost no limit to towing capacity especially if the car has the air suspension to keep it level. As with trailer ratings the first data to hit a limit is the tire ratings. If anyone sees this Tesla trailer mule, take a quick peek at the rear tires and the max press/max weight data.
--

Last edited:
This is definitely a 2" hitch receiver...

PH-324009995.jpg&Maxw=630&cci_ts=20150324135900-2.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. Link to photos. 13 in all...

http://www.autonews.com/gallery/20150324/PHOTOS01/324009995/1

With a steel xmember/hitch there is almost no limit to towing capacity especially if the car has the air suspension to keep it level. As with trailer ratings the first data to hit a limit is the tire ratings. If anyone sees this Tesla trailer mule, take a quick peek at the rear tires and the max press/max weight data.
--

Nobody makes tires in those sizes with a high load rating, do they? Lord, please don't tell me they are going to have custom sized tires made for it -- I have a car with those. Every few months Bridgestone leaks that they aren't going to make the tire anymore, so all the owners go buy a garage-full.

A car tire just has to be able to carry the extra tongue weight, doesn't it? It's not actually carrying the load, the trailer tires are, I would think.

I wish they would tease us with something.

Hey Elon, I'll make you a deal - give us a commitment on towing capacity. Big number, and I'll keep my reservation for next year. Small number, and I promise to take an inventory S off your hands this quarter. Deal? :wink:

I looked over the inventory cars available locally yesterday. The siren song is getting hard to avoid.