Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Subsite Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yah, at the reveal they had rear-view cameras instead of mirrors and then they disappeared in favor of mirrors due to regulatory problems. so even as late as the Geneva auto show the side mirrors were on there. but now they gone back to the original idea of rear-view cameras on the images where you order the X on all sites except US and Canada...... so maybe we'll see that outside of northamerica when we finally get the vehicle. :)

The switch back to the side-view cameras may also be a sign that Tesla is becoming more confident about their status in the public eye and the acceptance of the Model X. The rumor I heard about the removal of the cameras was that they didn't want people to start focusing on the cameras and going down that rabbit hole, so they made a decision to put the regular rear view mirrors on the prototype car and on the website so that particular issue would be a non-issue. With the success of the Model S, maybe they feel that people will focus more on the potential greatness of the X and that the side-view camera issue is becoming less and less of a potential distraction from the car itself. It could also be that they are getting indications from the regulatory agencies that the likeliehood of approval of the side-view cameras is high.

I think the side-view cameras are fantastic. I saw a demo of them in operation and in my opinion, they are a much superior solution to providing a driver visibility to the sides of the car. Some people are concerned about the reliability of the system, but I think that it is a small issue because even if you had a failure of the cameras, you still have visibility to the sides, you just have to move back to the analog (turning your head) method. It's kind of the same issue if someone breaks their physical side mirror, you car isn't disabled and you can still turn your head to see whats on the side of your car, but maybe just not as easily or completely as having the mirror/camera available.

Last edited:
The side view cameras are not a new idea, I have them on my RV (in addition to mirrors). Following the discussion above I did a little searching on the legal aspects in the U.S. and it occurred to me to look at the Jeep forum as many people remove their doors in the summer...Bingo, as usual there are a whole string of different State laws regarding mirrors.

Note to Mods: move this discussion to Model-X-Side-Mirrors ?

The side view cameras are not a new idea, I have them on my RV (in addition to mirrors). Following the discussion above I did a little searching on the legal aspects in the U.S. and it occurred to me to look at the Jeep forum as many people remove their doors in the summer...Bingo, as usual there are a whole string of different State laws regarding mirrors.

It might be a court battle, but you could probably make an argument that a functioning camera-and-display is a "mirror" provided it had appropriate fidelity.

Sorry Bonnie, all 6 of your friends will now have to stay home

0255713236.png

Wow that front drive unit is significantly larger than what I had expected. But then again I think the pic is deceiving. The rear unit is dropped down behind the battery pack. The rear unit itself might actually be larger. I guess the thing that I wasn't expecting was for it to be so "high". In other words, it looks like its going to use up a lot of frunk space.

Wow that front drive unit is significantly larger than what I had expected. But then again I think the pic is deceiving. The rear unit is dropped down behind the battery pack. The rear unit itself might actually be larger. I guess the thing that I wasn't expecting was for it to be so "high". In other words, it looks like its going to use up a lot of frunk space.
Looks like the raised up part might be designed to occupy the small space in the rear of the frunk.

at the reveal it was indeed said with AWD you'd lose frunk space.

Actually, Elon said you don't loose any space even though there is a front motor. Yes, there is no extra square hole but The Frunk on the Model X is deeper because of the added height of the CUV so you gain the space back in height.

Model X Frunk
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14653&d=1358311931

You lose the hole... which is part of the frunk, yes? So... You lose frunk space.

Either way, there's still room for a body... errrr... plenty of stuff. Yeah. STUFF. So we're good.

:)