Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice that the street released version of the VW XL1 uses cameras instead of mirrors. Has the EU approved the switch?

Here it is:
2014-volkswagen-xl1-side-view-camera-photo-520692-s-520x318.jpg

2014-volkswagen-xl1-interior-photo-520703-s-520x318.jpg

From the above illustrations, I think the technology exists currently to replace the side mirrors and do it well. The key is getting regulatory approval.

I think most people agree but regulatory approval will require Tesla and other auto makers to demonstrate a really good working system. So the key is a great design first, then getting regulatory approval.

I think most people agree but regulatory approval will require Tesla and other auto makers to demonstrate a really good working system. So the key is a great design first, then getting regulatory approval.

I would certainly agree that a great design/implementation will go a long way towards getting the necessary regulatory approval. Since the Model X prototype was sporting a side camera long ago, I'm sure the Tesla design team must have given this issue a great deal of thought already. Just like the falcon wings, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Drivers have also looked up at the rear view mirror and/or over their shoulder when backing up for a century, yet seem to have no problem now looking down at a screen for a backup camera.
Incorrect. After nearly 18 months of driving Model S, I'd still prefer the backup camera to display within the rearview mirror (like it does in my other car).

OK, I guess some drivers do have a problem looking down. Personally I'd find the much smaller picture that would fit in a rear view mirror to be vastly inferior to the larger backup screens I've seen. The first time I used a backup camera I found it quite easy to adapt.

OK, I guess some drivers do have a problem looking down. Personally I'd find the much smaller picture that would fit in a rear view mirror to be vastly inferior to the larger backup screens I've seen. The first time I used a backup camera I found it quite easy to adapt.
And it doesn't bother you that you have zero visibility of the front and sides of the vehicle while doing so?

Maybe the difference is I'm talking about a backup camera, which is only active when backing up, and you're talking about a rear view camera, which is always active?
No I'm talking about the backup camera (not the "always on" rear-camera usage scenario*). When using the mirrors, the peripheral vision for the sides and front is still in play -- and providing additional intel on the environmental conditions.

* Upon consideration, the 17" is totally fine for the "always on" scenario. For backing up though, I would love an option to pipe the signal into a subscreen of the rearview mirror. Maybe I need to convince Artsci to make me something.

Hmm, Roadsters can leave the backup camera 'always on'. You can't do that with the S?
I think you misunderstood, and/or I wasn't making myself clear. :(

1. Yes you can choose "always on" rear-camera mode in Model S.
2. No I don't think I want/need AORCM to display in my rear view mirror.
3. I would like to have "when backing up" rear-camera mode to display in my rear view mirror.

I think the ideal would be a setting that allows me to have "backing up" to display the image in my rearview mirror and to make the 17" not "autodisplay" the rear view ever. That's probably the sweet spot for me.

Hmm, Roadsters can leave the backup camera 'always on'. You can't do that with the S?

We can?? Do tell!

Maybe this is what I get for being a second owner - I missed out on part of the instruction for how to make full use of the Roadster. I also haven't seen an option in any of the configuration screens, but that'd be easy enough to miss I suspect.

No I'm talking about the backup camera (not the "always on" rear-camera usage scenario*). When using the mirrors, the peripheral vision for the sides and front is still in play -- and providing additional intel on the environmental conditions.

* Upon consideration, the 17" is totally fine for the "always on" scenario. For backing up though, I would love an option to pipe the signal into a subscreen of the rearview mirror. Maybe I need to convince Artsci to make me something.

I'm of this opinion as well. I almost never use my rearview camera when backing up. Even in the top position, I find it too out of the way (like I'm looking down too far) and prefer to use the mirrors.

The Model X cameras should definitely be positioned higher than the Model S touchscreen.