Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ModelX_STUD_3QTR-large.jpg

My "MY TESLA" page shows cameras! Interestingly, the photo file name includes Q3 for third quarter, I assume. (I reserved this month.)

Ahh. That page has always shows cameras, and does on mine. I was referring to the Make a Reservation page, which has mirrors:
Buy or Reserve a Tesla | Tesla Motors

I think the Q3 is for three-quarters view, not 3rd quarter of the year. That picture is of the prototype and has been the same image for the last two years, as far as I can remember.

Good catch. I think most likely the car will have removable mirrors and side cameras, if Tesla believes cameras alone will be legal in the U.S. in a year or so. I wonder about the legality of side cameras alone in other countries?

Maybe one camera? The passenger mirror is only required if the rearview mirror fails to meet certain view requirements.
OK, not serious. Just board waiting.

Maybe the side cameras will be allowed before 2016. As of June 18, 2015 the NHTSA rule CFR part 571.111 on Rear Visibility was due for "Analysis" in 2014 and is due for "Review" in Fall 2015 with regards to economic impacts . Do they review parts on a per-request schedule also ( they responded to Nissan but on a rule with "ongoing" analysis )?

A camera system could actually provide a greater viewing angle than a mirror. You could even have 360 degrees with multiple cameras.

Displaying that amount of image would present an interesting challenge. I would like to see some wider angle image shown on the traditional center mirror space; that might possibly involve multiple cameras.

Re:side mirrors.....Without plowing through the detail there does seem to still be too many issues to go with side cameras only (i.e. no side mirrors) but hopefully Tesla will either incorporate both (which is legal already) or at least include cabling for a potential upgrade later.

I haven't seen any side camera user reports so here's mine: I spent the last month touring around Wisconsin in our RV and it has side and rear cameras. Normally the rear camera is on but when the turn signal is used the system switches to the right or left side camera. The display is on the center dash. It was very intuitive and easy to adapt to. I tend to use it instead of the externally mounted conventional side mirrors. The cameras have wide angle and work in all lighting conditions. The rear had some issues in rain, some droplets would degrade the picture somewhat. (ot: hope the X can be flat towed behind the RV!)