Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the model X. Love it or hate it, it's what it will be. It's not bad, but it won't win any glamor competitions. The real beauty of this vehicle is not going to be what it looks like, but it's interior, it's ride, and the features it gains over the S. (Until Tesla merges some of them to the S.) I'd love to be able to tow small trailers with a S with a factory approved hitch.

Sounds about right. Agreed. The exterior may gain a trim or few, loose a camo and some, and brighter colors can alter perceptions, but I seriously doubt the final product will much differ from this in the big things.

I think from almost every angle shot I've seen, my gripe with it is it just looks....fat. Like a plump Model S that ate too many Thin Mint cookies. It's still pretty in it's own way, but it's just larger and a little more rounded out then I personally like..

/edit I should add that I can't say for sure until I see one in public. Pictures will never do a car justice. I will give the X the benefit of the doubt in regards to it's looks and won't pass final judgement until I've seen it in person.

I think from almost every angle shot I've seen, my gripe with it is it just looks....fat. Like a plump Model S that ate too many Thin Mint cookies. It's still pretty in it's own way, but it's just larger and a little more rounded out then I personally like..

/edit I should add that I can't say for sure until I see one in public. Pictures will never do a car justice. I will give the X the benefit of the doubt in regards to it's looks and won't pass final judgement until I've seen it in person.

Thin Mint cookies are the best, you know it. It's easy to eat a whole roll at one time, can't blame the Model X......

Someone mixed a MX Mule with a Model S front. Just look at the front wheel box, some irregular painting stuff.

Or the mule-creators putted a real model S front on that MX mule.

It won't look like this.

Having seen many, many mule photos up-close, I can't buy your theory. The angles, shadows, camera lens etc. can play tricks, but this looks like a real mule sighting to me. If the final won't look like this then Tesla hid some major changes at the factory, and that seems unlikely beyond smaller cosmetics.

These mules have been witnessed missing that trim many times, probably because they remove the front bumper a lot due to sensor (camera?) adjustments etc. (there is also a sensor in the removed part of the wheelwell trim)? The mock-up I posted a few messages back is based on an image that has similar parts missing, so you can see closer.

Besides, the Model S front looks nothing like that mule. Model S has far shorter overhang in the front.

That is because there is no gap.

attachment.php?attachmentid=81273&d=1431901570.jpg

Silhouette thread: How much has Model X changed: mule (2015) vs. prototype (2012) silhouette

But sure, as can also be seen above, the 2012 prototype had a sleeker rear. Tesla has added overall height, window height and rear height since, it seems.

This right here. you can see they took a great looking profile and basically went into photo shop and stretched all the proportions too much. It is now too tall, the nose is too long, the windshield angle is off, the rear end is stretched upward and the glass now extends past the rear wheel. I hope there is some serious camo, I was in the "final product minus the camo" group, I hope I am wrong. Doesn't matter how cool the seats are, I couldn't drive an Aztec.

Guys... I'm wondering, just how plausible is it that Tesla are taking us for a ride? Why would they "show" us the car like they do? It just doesn't compute with me. Are they really that careless?

I still think (and hope by the looks of the sightings) that we haven't seen the final design yet...

There was this thread/post where TD1 put together some images showing how hydraulic roof racks might work.

View attachment 85094

As I've said on a few occasions, this is what I'm expecting. The new bottom of door latches appear to require the door to swing out as the first motion anyway (only an inch or two,) and at various points we've seen some sensors on the doors. I'm expecting the X to check for overhead clearance and open this way in tight parking garages, too - assuming there's space next to the car.

Doors set up like this would have to be power actuated to handle the multiple options and sensor feedback, of course.

I too think the X looks a little chunky in these pictures with the camo. I really didn't like the Model S too much in the early photos either until I saw one in person. It is really hard to get a good feel for a car from pictures.

I almost don't dare to bring this up but the initial reactions to the Porsche Panamera were not very positive either. however, every time I see one on the road it makes me take another look and I really like it now.

We'll have to wait and see until we see it in person. I have the feeling my wife will end up driving it most of the time and I will wait for my own when the Model 3 comes out, hopefully as a small hatchback.

Guys... I'm wondering, just how plausible is it that Tesla are taking us for a ride? Why would they "show" us the car like they do? It just doesn't compute with me. Are they really that careless?

I still think (and hope by the looks of the sightings) that we haven't seen the final design yet...
They aren't taking us for a ride. They need to show the car because it needs to be tested on public roads. There's no way you could get in the number of miles and conditions required for validation on a test track alone. Tesla has been careful with what they have and haven't shown, and most of what they have shown is ambiguous and thus subject to intense scrutiny as we try and figure out what it means. We haven't seen the details, but we have seen the basic form.

They aren't taking us for a ride. They need to show the car because it needs to be tested on public roads. There's no way you could get in the number of miles and conditions required for validation on a test track alone. Tesla has been careful with what they have and haven't shown, and most of what they have shown is ambiguous and thus subject to intense scrutiny as we try and figure out what it means. We haven't seen the details, but we have seen the basic form.

Two things.... One, Tesla is small enough that they can do this and really only spoil the surprise for us. 95% of the public has no clue there is a Model X coming out. Heck not too many in the general public know what a Tesla is period. Remember all of us on these forums aren't exactly normal people when it comes to Tesla knowledge. So they can test it like mad, but until the evening news picks up the story when the X is revealed most people won't even know it was in deveiopment.

Second, if this is the final design, (and it seems more and more like it is minus a few probable micro tweaks here and there) then might as well temper expectations and get it out in public for people like us. I mean it's not THAT different from the prototype. As I mentioned above, I think the real story here will be what we don't know. Interior, controls, ride, and options. The shape at this point is semantics. We've seen what it looks like, now it's time to muster some excitement for what we still don't know about it.

(It does look Aztec-y)

Last edited:
I really think everyone needs to wait for the actual production car that you can see in person without the blacked out portions and in other colors. The basic shape is there but the real vehicle seen in person will be what it will look like. Personally the black and white mules that we have seen do not look all the nice and I agree that it looks whale like. I will not be able to make a decision to buy until I see a unit in person and not all taped up.

Last edited:
I really think everyone needs to wait for the actual production car that you can see I person without the blacked out portions and in other colors. The basic shape is there but the real vehicle seen in person will be what it will look like. Personally the black and white mules that we have seen do not look all the nice and I agree that it looks whale like. I will not be able to make a decision to buy until I see a unit in person and not all taped up.

I thought the brown prototype was bad, but knew what it was, a prototype. Things got a lot better with the white star wars version that was being shown at a auto show. These mules are a real step back. I really thought that we would see an improved version of the black and white prototype and could have really got on board with that. This... I am not sure I can commit if this is what we will get plus pin striping...