Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think that's just the model x. If the 3 is anywhere in that video, it would be this.
Screenshot_2015-07-26-19-21-05.png

I captured this on my phone, so sorry for the play button.

Last edited:

I originally posted I do not think so...but the more I look at the picture...I think you are correct.

I thought back and forth about what the clay model was most likely to represent.

On the one hand, it seemed a bit too low to the ground to be a CUV. However, the visible portion reminds me a lot more of Model X than Model S. The roof line appears to prioritize rear bench headroom over sporty profile.

I ultimately decided that low ride height did not rule out a CUV, because (1) Tesla will want to maximize range, which favors low ride height (2) Model X doesn't appear to have higher ground clearance than Model S (3) Air suspension makes default high ride height unnecessary in a vehicle that will see little off-road travel (4) CUVs generally seem to be getting lower for efficiency reasons. Foe example: Honda's CR-V rides lower than its predecessor.

I think it looks exactly like the Model X.

I agree.

Elon has stated that Model 3 will not be a mini-Model S; but rather a completely new design. So why would we be seeing a mini-Model X based on the Model 3 platform? It does not make sense. The clay model is simply the Model X and they are hiding the front because thats where the design changes have been made relative to the original reveal.

Uh, guys. Remember in the wait what why article how the model 3 clay model that the author saw had two different styles on each side? If you were to look for a vehicle that was a CUV on the right hand side and a sedan on the other you might have some lock here. Check out the second covered vehicle from the right in the image. Use the two posts for a height reference.

I think the small exposed area of that X in the Hawthorne Tesla Design office was a clay model, not wood.
I agree with you that the X won't have two charge ports.

Agreed, clay. Didn't watch the video yet.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Looks just like the X's we've seen recently on the road. The fact that they're willing to show us the back but not the front might be a hint that the front is going to be the part that will surprise us when the final X is revealed.

Sounds plausible given the strongest camo on front of the mules.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh, guys. Remember in the wait what why article how the model 3 clay model that the author saw had two different styles on each side? If you were to look for a vehicle that was a CUV on the right hand side and a sedan on the other you might have some lock here. Check out the second covered vehicle from the right in the image. Use the two posts for a height reference.

What if there is no Model 3 CUV variant - never was?

Many people on TMC have confused Model X mules with Model 3. It could happen to any author I guess.

That Model X clay model may look smaller and might even be smaller than real (it is a model after all) but it has everything there, adaptive spoiler included, very similar or identical shape to Model X mules... I think the Occam's razor is Model X.

Now, two design variants of Model X would give some interesting thoughts from the decoy perspective. :)

AR,
There will be two vehicles on the 3 platform, a CUV and a sedan. What I was getting at was that when the article described the design studio, it mentioned a team working on a model 3 clay model with a different style on each side.

As for the half uncovered clay model, I definitely think it's the X. And I think the height of the people I frame is what is throwing of the perception of size. I can't put my finger on it, but the shape seems more refined than the mules.

AR,
There will be two vehicles on the 3 platform, a CUV and a sedan. What I was getting at was that when the article described the design studio, it mentioned a team working on a model 3 clay model with a different style on each side.

pmadflyer, thanks for this hint. I think this is worth a discussion in the Model 3 sub-forum. I've cross-quoted you there.

- - - Updated - - -

and on topic:

what is this hidden behind the movable walls?

model_x_white.jpg

White Model X with falcon-wing doors open and a raised spoiler?

Last edited:
Now we know where they put the Bond submersible.
that too! :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely looks like that, but I can't get a read on how the back window integrates with the doors.

model_x_open_falcon.jpg

Don't have Photoshop, but "MS Paint"... this is the best close-up I was able to produce from the video at 5:23-5:24 (Elon Musk | Videos | 60 Minutes | 9Jumpin) .

Anyone out there with better software and better skills? I'm not very skilled with these things.

To me it looks like the left falcon wing door is open and you can see through the glass.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add my 2 cents in...

The clay model definitely looks like a Model-X to me. I can even make out a seam for the falcon doors and the rear spoiler.

With regards to the mystery white vehicle in the back of the shop, I can't seem to see an open falcon door. What I see is what appears to be the rear end of a vehicle (Model-X, Model-S or something else) with an opened or missing rear hatch. The geometry seems to indicate that it is parked parallel to the rear wall, so maybe thats why I see it that way.

I find the submersible to be cool and wonder if Tesla may one day build one? Also, the integrated, two-version Model-3 model is an interesting approach at comparing two models at once.

Last edited: