Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be the roof is an option

Possibly, but then doesn't the join between the glass and solid roof become a potential stress/weak point without an A crossbeam?

[IANAE]

- - - Updated - - -

It's an improvement. However so slight.

View attachment 92378

Better than the current frowny-face.
More aggressive looking.

Little odd how the black nose bleeds onto the front "bumper" nub.

Wasn't there a 'leak' that the X has a super special place for the front license plate?

I found it interesting that the roof is actually blue instead of clear glass. I had noticed this one one of the earlier shots of the Red one as well. With it being a single piece of glass all the way to the falcon doors, does that mean they painted the inside of the glass?
I am also puzzled about this issue. This latest video from JerseyGirl appears to show a body colored roof extending forward above the front seats, but this contradicts the belief of several people on TMC that the X windshield extends rearward over the front seats. The recent Instagram photo posted by Elon appears to show an X body being robotically welded and no conventional front crossbar connecting the A pillars is present (thanks to those who analyzed that photo), which supports the idea that the windshield extends to the rear over the front seats.
I find it hard to believe that the blue X videoed by JerseyGirl has body colored wrap on the rearward section of the windshield or that the windshield glass has been painted. But maybe that is the explanation.

I am also puzzled about this issue. This latest video from JerseyGirl appears to show a body colored roof extending forward above the front seats, but this contradicts the belief of several people on TMC that the X windshield extends rearward over the front seats. The recent Instagram photo posted by Elon appears to show an X body being robotically welded and no conventional front crossbar connecting the A pillars is present (thanks to those who analyzed that photo), which supports the idea that the windshield extends to the rear over the front seats.
I find it hard to believe that the blue X videoed by JerseyGirl has body colored wrap on the rearward section of the windshield or that the windshield glass has been painted. But maybe that is the explanation.
I'm pretty sure what they've done is wrapped the roof in blue film. Probably as camoflage.

Agreed about the wrap on roof. Its almost as if they have a tesla employee reading the comments. I know we have had speculation about full glass and no a pillar for a while, but its only recent photos that it was obvious.

To me, the blue Model X in recent sightings looks really good. I think the larger rims give it a more aggressive look and nicer proportions. This is terrible because in New York, potholes are not kind on rims with low profile tires. Hopefully there will be enough sidewall to protect the larger rims. Smaller rims will be more practical. Perhaps ordering two sets of rims, one for the winter and one for the summer?

To me, the blue Model X in recent sightings looks really good. I think the larger rims give it a more aggressive look and nicer proportions. This is terrible because in New York, potholes are not kind on rims with low profile tires. Hopefully there will be enough sidewall to protect the larger rims. Smaller rims will be more practical. Perhaps ordering two sets of rims, one for the winter and one for the summer?
If you are concerned about larger diameter wheels being damaged by potholes I do not understand how having two sets of wheels and changing them seasonally will solve that problem, since the potholes are present all year.

Photochromic (changes in reaction to light levels) or electrochromic(changes in reaction to electrical current) looks like coloration is possible.
Smart glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the link. Here is a relevant section about "Suspended Particle Device" glass, quote:
"Commercialization of SPD is accelerating in the automotive industry. SPD automotive side and rear windows and sunroofs offer many benefits to passengers in the vehicle. Because of their fast-switching and infinite tunability, they reduce unwanted light and glare, which allows users to more comfortably maintain their views of the outside and to enjoy glare-free viewing of displays and video screens. SPD automotive glass also minimizes heat build-up inside the vehicle because of their ability to block solar heat gain. They automatically switch to their maximum heat-blocking state when the vehicle is not in use."
Wow, that sounds awesome, though I am wondering about the extra cost of such glass, and how much current is required power it.

If you are concerned about larger diameter wheels being damaged by potholes I do not understand how having two sets of wheels and changing them seasonally will solve that problem, since the potholes are present all year.

I think what @gutowskia was pointing out is that smaller wheels would allow a higher profile (sidewall) tire. It's a very good point. I live in NJ, the land of potholes, and my previous BMW 650 had low profile run-flats. Almost every single time I hit a pothole at speed it bubbled a tire. I replaced 6 front tires during the 3 year lease. The combination of the low profile and stiffer sidewalls on these tires reduced the "cushion" and made them prone to self-destructing every time you hit a pot-hole. I will never own another car with low profile run-flats.

Larger rim does not necessarily mean thinner sidewall. They could still use 40 or 45 profile tires with that. We'll see.

Around here, the potholes are extremely bad when temperatures fluctuate and keep dipping below freezing at night. Snow melts during the day and water goes into the cracks in the road and then freezes up at night, as ice expands, it busts up all the asphalt. Summer time is not so bad unless you drive into New York City.

Larger rim does not necessarily mean thinner sidewall. They could still use 40 or 45 profile tires with that. We'll see.

Its not a matter of "thinner" sidewall per see but less sidewall. I have yet to see a sporty larger diameter wheel offering decent sidewall protection. Generally as the wheel size goes up, the trend is for the ratio of the sidewall to go down and that results in excessive noise, about 5% less range, harsher ride, more tire wear and more expensive tires that need to be replaced more often. Also due to less side wall you have more propensity for wheel and tire damage due to the laws of physics... Having said all that I am sure some people like the "look" of the larger wheels and perhaps any edge in handling they get but those larger wheels are not for everyone.