Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule has front bumper camera(s)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a couple of new edits listing these interesting spots on the infamous white-clad Model X mule. These are not new photos, just pointing out a couple of new places of interest.

Some notes:

The white squares over wheelarches are probably nothing, they don't look like production sensors anyway. Perhaps stickers or attachment points for testing gear, or testing gear themselves.

The lines inside the front "logo strip" look more like attachment points too, than sensors, but thought I'd point them out. Also, something seems to lurk in the far corner of the lower center front vent. It could be just the auto-pilot radar or something else. DRIVE PX concept of course shows frontal center cameras, something in this area isn't impossible if Tesla implements that or something similar.

The falcon wing door sensors seem fairly obvious, as do the front corner bumper and top B pillar cameras. The front wheel arch sensor is probably just a part of the parking sensor suite, although e.g. 7 Series has a camera there.

The resolution is quite big so as links:

(Forum seems to have removed attachments perhaps because they were unlinked to the post. I will try to repost in a message below later.)

The usual source link - great gallery of mule shots: Picture 1 - Spied: 2016 Tesla Model X

Can't edit the original post anymore, so here are reposted the images smaller:

model_x_spots_1_1024.jpg

model_x_spots_2_1024.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

On the autobahn, autopilot is useless without rear radar, because of higher speed differences. If you pushed the indicator to get the autopilot to change the lane, there is a high risk of high speed vehicles coming from behind. That is already an issue in the Model S and with the actual hardware in that, there won't be any OTA what could solve this problem.

I understood, your thoughts about the sensors might not be in it for now, but I hope Tesla thinks of that issue. Otherwise it will never be a real autopilot. And believe me, IF bmw, Daimler, or Porsche are developing on an autopilot, they will think of that.

Doesn't auto-pilot as it is have radars in rear corners like "side assists" in the likes of Audi? They see pretty far, no?

I suspect some of you are mixing terms. There are ultrasonic sensors as well as radar sensors. They are different devices that gather information at different ranges for different reasons. Also, don't overlook that Tesla Motors intends that GPS will work in concert with radar, ultrasonics, and cameras to describe the environment in full Autopilot.

I suspect some of you are mixing terms. There are ultrasonic sensors as well as radar sensors. They are different devices that gather information at different ranges for different reasons. Also, don't overlook that Tesla Motors intends that GPS will work in concert with radar, ultrasonics, and cameras to describe the environment in full Autopilot.

Red Sage: Just to be clear, I am perfectly well aware of the difference of radars and ultrasonic sensors.

For example, many high-end Audis have two radar sensors in both front and rear corners, so a total of four radars (front in place of fog lights, rear ones inside rear bumper not visible). This is in addition to the eight to twelve ultrasonic parking sensors. Front camera and GPS of course is taken into account on Audis already, e.g. when entering a crossing or exiting a freeway, certain different characteristics come into play.

I understand Model S auto-pilot has one front radar sensor (plus one front camera) and two rear radar sensors (inside bumper and not visible), if I'm not mistaken. Or does Tesla still use merely ultrasonic data for the rear? I haven't read up on it as much as I have about the Germans. The dot-like parking sensors are the short-range ultrasonic sensors in addition to the radars, of course, on the Model S as well.

Mercedes Benz S Class adds a rear center radar to the mix, so it is certainly possible Tesla will see a need for more radars - but the makers seem to employ a bit different tactics, when it comes to the exact number of radars, cameras and their placements. I guess you can reach the same goals many ways, because many manufacturers have an extra sensor there and one less camera or radar elsewhere and so forth.

Here is the S Class configuration for example:

S-Class-copy-image.jpg

I understand Model S auto-pilot has one front radar sensor (plus one front camera) and two rear radar sensors (inside bumper and not visible), if I'm not mistaken. Or does Tesla still use merely ultrasonic data for the rear? I haven't read up on it as much as I have about the Germans. The dot-like parking sensors are the short-range ultrasonic sensors in addition to the radars, of course, on the Model S as well.

From the October 10, 2014 blog post:

Every single Model S now rolling out of the factory includes a forward radar, 12 long range ultrasonic sensors positioned to sense 16 feet around the car in every direction at all speeds, a forward looking camera, and a high precision, digitally controlled electric assist braking system.

OK, thank you favo. Apparently then Model S auto-pilot added only four new ultrasonic sensors, one radar and one frontal camera (as far as sensors go). It misses the rear radars used by Germans in similar setups.

Indeed, if so, I would expect a second generation auto-pilot to add rear radars, unless they plan to use cameras to do the same (DRIVE PX).

In the latest mule shot we can clearly see the rear sensors, regular auto-pilot suite, due to non-painted rear bumper but other sensors are not showing. The white spots on top of wheel arches are gone and, as said before, are probably nothing of significance. Of course we wouldn't expect the final falcon door sensors to be visible in the final product either, so those may be there under the plastic - as we've heard Tesla people say falcon wings will have sensors to make opening them safe.

The B pillar top camera area is inconclusive, maybe it is there, maybe not, although the poorly fitting window is still there. Besides the window, the mule still has plenty of poorly fitting panels, but somehow it seems a bit more final than the previously seen white-clad one. Of course this is not the first time a black mule has been spotted, but last time it had a different rear window showing the low protrusion and a rear diffuser/bumper with a large rectangular hole in it. Of course this could be the same mule with a swapped bumper and less camo on rear window.

model_x_side.jpg

Some new sightings.

The mule driver in 2015-06-05 Tesla Model X (Pre-production) - YouTube appeared on this shot as well, it seems - checkered shirt missing! (Maybe again on the passenger seat.)

Do we have to add a new official Model X mule testing outfit to the list: peach tees.

model_x_side_2.jpg

They are again driving unnaturally close to the curb and even the hand position suggesting perhaps slight steering to the side. I wonder if this mule is still testing that "curb recognition".

One thing that strikes me on many of these mules is how fast the wheelwell trim seems to go missing, this mule even has some white wrap perhaps to keep the rear bumper area together. It seems they are removing the front and rear bumpers all the time, which might suggest testing of sensors places on those areas. New rear radars? Front camers? Wild speculation?

Just like on the window sticker mule, this one too has the suspicious window stickers and both front (and rear!) windows open enough to potentially hide what text might be printed on the side windows. Is there something in the windows (manufacturer, type?) they want to hide?

Unfortunately nothing in this image available regarding all-around view cameras. (If there is, the file/photo quality doesn't allow peeking.)

Just like on the window sticker mule, this one too has the suspicious window stickers and both front (and rear!) windows open enough to potentially hide what text might be printed on the side windows. Is there something in the windows (manufacturer, type?) they want to hide?

Or some people just don't like air conditioning and prefer to drive with the windows open...