Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X is ruining my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I have. As I've said in a few other posts, I wouldn't want to do it for a long trip, but on a hop to lunch or something it would be fine. In the six seat config you can stretch your legs out between the middle row seats.

I can definitely see the 6 seat'r being much better in that regard if you plan to have adults in the third row. As for headroom, my head stuck up about 3-4 inches outside the rear hatch opening while seated in the rear. With the hatch closed and the second row seat brought back so that someone could sit in it, my seat was like a torture device. Just my experience.

...my seat was like a torture device...
I never forgot my foot being caught in the 3rd row at the September 29th event. The six seat option was verified on the spot. The same occurred for my guests last night. The rear seat passenger was thrilled to put his legs into the empty space of the 6 seat Model X. It's the quick answer when the 2nd row is moved back.

Families and car pool groups who use the 7 or 6 seat Model X frequently will learn what to do and enjoy the ride. Occasional rear seat riders who are not instructed and assisted by the driver or other knowledgeable passengers will learn quickly as they scream that their outer foot is being caught between the 2nd row seat and the wheel well.

Mark Z and others, thank you for all the info you have shared from your experiences with the X. Here's a question for you in comparison to the S, something that's been worrying me a bit.

The Model S is already a wide car, iirc about the same as our 2002 Honda Odyssey. My son is a little hesitant driving it because of this, though I think it's a combination of width x lower visibility and ride height compared to the Odyssey that he's more comfortable with.

But the Model X is another 5 inches wider [emoji50], though also higher and with better front/side visibility (sounds like the rear view isn't much without the camera). So how are you guys finding it? Does it feel much bigger/wider? Is it a non-issue? Is it still narrower than other, bigger SUVs? (I drove an A4 before my S85). Thanks in advance.

...Does it feel much bigger/wider?...
A photo may help. Here are the Model S, Model X and a 2009 Escalade parked next to each other.

IMG_1114 - Comparison.jpg

The major difference is that Model X is taller and you sit higher than in Model S.

I suspect it is the wide angle lens Mark used that causes the vehicles to either side of the X to look wider than they actually are.
It's the angle of the outer vehicles. The photo was taken with iPhone 6 and cropped to only show the vehicles. If you measure the distance between the taillights, you will see the Teslas are about the same width. The photo was originally taken to show the height differences.