Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Elon Musk says new SUV model due in 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh. Skip the SUV and do a wagon / estate car first. Safer, more drive-able, more cargo room, would have more range, and can probably be done off the Model S platform with little modification. A wagon with 400 mile range, and we'd be able to ditch the oil burner.

If I'm not mistaking in the IPO presentation (and maybe even before that) Tesla (might have been Musk) mentioned that the Model S is using a skate platform which would allow them to essentially put on different shells to get different types of cars. If that is the case whether they go with a SUV or wagon/estate car shouldn't really matter in terms of modifying. Also, a reasonable size SUV with 400 mile range and we'd be able to ditch the oil burner also, just saying.

-Shark2k

Yeah, that was quintessential Musk. Gotta love it!

I do agree that is quintessential Musk but at the same time I think he has a good point. The only reason that people might cross-shop a Leaf and Model S is if you must have an EV. As soon as you get more EVs it will be a much more apparant that they are very different markets. I've said before that thus far no premium/high end brand has shown anything to compete with the Model S, assuming you want an EV. The Fisker Karma is as close as you get now, and probably until the Model S comes out.

Cobos

I do agree that is quintessential Musk but at the same time I think he has a good point. The only reason that people might cross-shop a Leaf and Model S is if you must have an EV. As soon as you get more EVs it will be a much more apparant that they are very different markets. I've said before that thus far no premium/high end brand has shown anything to compete with the Model S, assuming you want an EV. The Fisker Karma is as close as you get now, and probably until the Model S comes out.

Cobos

I completely agree, but his confidence teetering on arrogance is still amusing. That is what it takes to be a good leader and CEO, however. That is why I am glad he ended up running Tesla. More to the point, I think what Tesla has to watch out for is Infinity, since Nissan has stated they will release an EV under that brand as well.

Tesla plans Model X in 2014

Just the Facts:

* Tesla confirmed it is planning to introduce a battery-powered crossover in 2014.

* Called the Model X, Tesla CEO Elon Musk says the company hopes to have a prototype of the crossover by the end of next year.

FREMONT, California — Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk confirmed the electric-vehicle maker is planning to introduce a battery-powered crossover, the Model X, in 2014, about two years after the mid-2012 launch of its midsize Model S sedan.

In an interview with Greentech Media at the formal opening of his company's production facility here in a former Toyota-General Motors plant, Musk said, "I'm hopeful we will unveil a prototype [of the Model X] toward the end of next year. When it will go into production is harder to predict because we want to make sure the Model S production line is operating smoothly before we introduce another variant. But certainly within two.... In less than two years when we start Model S production, we will have the Model X."

in: http://autonews.gasgoo.com/global-news/tesla-plans-model-x-in-2014-101108.shtml

If a Tesla rep said this I would read that as it is coming. I put my name on a waiting list at my Toyota dealer in NJ for a RAV4 EV I was not told how many are waiting either but that I was added to the list.

If a Tesla rep said this I would read that as it is coming. I put my name on a waiting list at my Toyota dealer in NJ for a RAV4 EV I was not told how many are waiting either but that I was added to the list.

Why would you read that as it is coming? Tesla is focusing on the Model S right now. I would think they would want to keep focus on that and not bring another vehicle into the mix right away. I'm sure they might have maybe a small group of people working on the Model X, but I don't know if they would have enough to bring to an autoshow yet. Also, just my opinion, but I think they would want people to see them being focused on the Model S, especially since I think that car will have a lot to do with their success.

Of course we can just wait and see what happens come the Frankfurt autoshow.

-Shark2k

Elon Musk

The Model X is a variance on the Model S platform. So, it a crossover SUV. It's intended to be cooler than any other SUV in its aspiration, but actually have functionality that exceeds that of a minivan. This is a tough goal to achieve, but I think we have a better shot at doing that. That's why we we're raving it. Pricing would comparable to that of the Model S, and so this is not our third-generation last production vehicle. That vehicle is still several years away. The Model X is really just a way of generating potentially twice as much volume in the premium vehicle segment offering a crossover SUV in addition to sedan, and we are looking to unveil the design prototype about at the end of this year.