Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be at ElectraFest 2016, proudly showing off my Model X and talking to anyone that will listen :p It's a family friendly event (free parking, free admission, children's activities). It's at the Concord Pacific Presentation Centre, I'll be there 10 to 3ish - come say Hi!

I've prepped a crib sheet for common questions :D

---

Q. What is this?
A. Tesla Model X, it's an electric SUV.

Q. How fast does it go?
A. Much faster than it needs to, but I'm not complaining.

Q. What's the best feature in this car?
A. Almost everything. But, the doors tho...

Q. Can you open the doors?
A. Thought you'd never ask! (clicks remote)

Q. What's the best part about owning this car?
A. Talking to people like you.

Q. Should I buy one?
A. Yes

---

Happy Saturday!

Spent this AM rewatching Revenge of the Electric Car and just in awe of how much conviction Elon had his dream. To commit so fully, despite what must have appeared as insurmountable odds. Huge respect to him; the Tesla team; all the early supporters for paving the way to mass market EV adoption.

I love my Model X. It's an amazing automobile. Ignore the negative reviews, ignore the concerns about this or that. If you're in the market for an SUV in this price range, there is quite simply nothing else like it.

The driving experience is rarely talked about in reviews. So I'll try. The confidence to know you can accelerate faster than anyone is very satisfying. The regenerative braking, almost never having to brake is so fantastic. I'm so much more relaxed on the road, I love driving again. Oh and the Falcon Wing doors. Issues aside, it is iconic and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Love. It.

Me showing off my car:
Instagram photo by @yz778 • Jun 25, 2016 at 4:39pm UTC

Happy Wednesday, some observations after the last software upgrade.

Falcon Wing Doors
  • They open more conservatively now. Previously, they'd open fully in my garage (lots of clearance) but not they only go part way. Not a problem for my young kids, but I'd imagine an adult would now need to duck their head to get in.
Auto Parking
  • The detection seems to have improved, I get a lot more prompts to self park now and use it whenever I can :cool:

• Although, I have stopped using the self parallel parking. It seems to be a lot more aggressive in terms of how close (and fast) it approaches the curb. I've stopped it each time because it feels like my wheels are gonna get scratched. A slower approach will inspire a lot more confidence.
It is so cool to have new features to test, looking forward to the next update!

Reactions: Jon
Happy Wednesday, some observations after the last software upgrade.

Falcon Wing Doors
  • They open more conservatively now. Previously, they'd open fully in my garage (lots of clearance) but not they only go part way. Not a problem for my young kids, but I'd imagine an adult would now need to duck their head to get in.
Auto Parking
  • The detection seems to have improved, I get a lot more prompts to self park now and use it whenever I can :cool:

• Although, I have stopped using the parallel parking. It seems to be a lot more aggressive in terms of how close (and fast) it approaches the curb. I've stopped it each time because it feels like my wheels are gonna get scratched. A slower approach will inspire a lot more confidence.
It is so cool to have new features to test, looking forward to the next update!

Door are now geolocated. You need to accept manually at a location to open them more and it will save for that location.

• Informative
Reactions: yz778
Only just reading this thread so this is a bit stale. I just drove my new X 90D from Vancouver to Summerland and I have thrice done this trip in a P85D. You can definitely do this trip without charging in Merritt though my winter drive was pretty mild conditions. The important thing as others have pointed out is to make sure you charge fully, or at least charge well beyond the suggested stopping point. Alternatively, don't drive at 120. To give you an example, when I was recently charging my X, the car notified me that I had sufficient charge to continue. The energy trip graph suggested that I would arrive in Summerland with 10% remaining. I allowed the car to charge until it suggested there would be 20% remaining. Once I was on the coquihalla and driving 120-129 for a relatively short while, the car had dropped its estimated arrival charge to 10% from 20%. At some points in the drive this went as low as 8%. I kept my speed at 120 - no speeding - and periodically when behind a slower vehicle I let my speed go down for a period of time until the estimate increased. Note that I was using low to very low suspension and I had range mode turned on. When I arrived in Summerland, I had 12% left so I'm guessing that if I had believed the prediction software, I would have been very close to empty, particularly if I hadn't slowed down. Of course when they eventually finish Merritt, we will be able to take more risks as we can always use Merritt as a backup.

I don't think there are any chargers in Merritt. The Tesla website does not show any destination chargers at all. I have sent an email to [email protected] regarding Merritt since you are crossing a pass in two directions from there and it sits in a valley between Hope, Lillooet, Kamloops and Kelowna. It also opens up the Spence's bridge option. Apparently their team comes up to Canada twice a year to look at where to put more infrastructure. If others give their opinion, we might sway them to look at Merritt, Oliver and Castlegar sooner. Our US friends would likely welcome those as well since they are close to the border :D

In all fairness to the SC tech fellow in Vancouver, he told me twice that I should charge fully in Hope. I did not listen to him and only charged to 90%. The app in fact told me I was good to go and we charged for 5-10 minutes more. I thought 360 km range should be good for 200 km of travel but it was close and a bit scary.

Only just reading this thread so this is a bit stale. I just drove my new X 90D from Vancouver to Summerland and I have thrice done this trip in a P85D. You can definitely do this trip without charging in Merritt though my winter drive was pretty mild conditions.

Congrats on your MX and thanks for the info! My Summerland trip is coming up soon so this is very timely info. I will take a full charge in Hope and ease off the accelerator for the rest of the way.

The other consideration now is what to do once I am in Summerland for charging. My brother in law is setting up a 240 for me to charge in his garage but other than that I'm not familiar with my other options in town.

Any Tesla owners in the Okanagan area interested in a meet up? DM me with your info, would love to have a coffee together or quick bite.

Some photos from my first supercharger experience, I'm at Alice Lake for the weekend and driving a Tesla in the outdoors feels so green :D
Have a great weekend!

I will PM you as my HPWC charger is outside and can be made available. The Summerland resort has an HPWC as well but it's for guests only. In Summerland town centre they have EV charging but it seemed to need some kind of special card. Kind of ridiculous for tourists who inevitably don't have the card. I don't think locals would make much use of these and there are at least two EV equipped parking lots in close proximity. If I get a chance I'll note the company name as it may be a common one in the Vancouver area.

Kelowna has an SC which is never busy. Merritt is getting a supercharger this year per an email I got from Tesla. When I charged the 10% extra in Hope beyond what the app said was sufficient, I ended up in Merritt with warnings that I had to drop the speed to 85 kmh in order to make it over the connector to Kelowna. I was definitely driving briskly between Hope and Merritt but then again my Audi was fine to do the stretch at any speed I felt safe travelling (somewhere between the speed limit and the speed limiter, cough cough). We drove 110 over the connector and made it home with 5% but it was a bit disappointing. I think the range calculations were designed for the S and that the X uses more juice when you are climbing over passes. Hope to Merritt to Kelowna is likely 12,000' of vertical (done it twice coming the other way on my bicycle and that is the number). I wrote the Tesla charging team about this and not sure if software updates have adjusted for elevation changes in the trip planner.

I splurged on the Chademo adaptor so I can top up in some of the non Tesla fast chargers and this will also hopefully extend my range into the Kootenays. There is a station in Merritt currently which has this interface.

I am off starting next Friday for two weeks so PM me if in the Okanagan and perhaps we can meet at Mission Hill or elsewhere for lunch.