Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that it is not a big problem, but now we see how it is. Thanks again. If you are testing more I have one last (I think;) question.

The floor panel behind the second row, will that be able to fit just behind the bench, the same way as you can on cars with thired row seats? It would be perfect since those panels always are in the way when you dont need them and vise versa...:)
I can not believe I am out in my garage trying to fit panels into weird places ;) Yes the large front panel, will fit behind the 2nd row bench seat. It tips backward a bit and I don't think is really designed to go there. It would also stop your 2nd row seats from reclining,(yes they do).

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler and MP3Mike
Hi,

Am I mistaken, or have the lateral profiles indicating the later possiblity of a luggage compartment cover (same type as on the Model S) been removed?

That would be bad news, at least for us - but also for everyone else wishing not to have this enormous cavity influencing on the NVH level in the cabin.
No, the luggage compartment cover (rear panel)has not been removed. Picture #1 shows it in place with the new front panel. How do we come up with this stuff???

My Tesla says delivery is February / Early March. Does Tesla usually deliver cars according to their timeline, or do they often deliver early?
I believe they are starting to set expectations and then beat them. They were very cautious with my delivery and I received it a bit early. I have read similar experiences elsewhere. Of course there does seem to be the occasional "problem car" that sits in production forever.

Picked up mine today in Austin, has all the parts. Sounds like it is just like beths11. Only issue I have found so far is that the mirrors do not go back to original position after shifting into reverse and then back into forward. Left mirror stays low, whereas the right one never goes low. Fortunately that sounds like a simple enough SW fix.

I guess one surprising this is that this new vertical cover in the storage compartment of the five-seater trunk seems to cover the cargo strap connection points (or what we assumed were cargo strap connection points)? Or does it hook into them?
The cargo straps do NOT get covered up in either of the two positions of the rear cover. The rear cover area is no different in the 5 seater than the 6 or 7 seat model. No the cover does not hook into them.

The cargo straps do NOT get covered up in either of the two positions of the rear cover. The rear cover area is no different in the 5 seater than the 6 or 7 seat model. No the cover does not hook into them.

No, I mean the new vertical cover is over what we used to think were forward cargo straps. They do not seem to be behind them either, but placed directly under the vertical cover (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/006-jpg.207725/).

6/7 seater Model X has four cargo straps. Design Studio for 5 seater also showed forward straps on the side panels, but those did not ship, so people assumed the connectors seen on the floor would have been the replacements. Apparently not so?

I assume what we thought were the forward cargo straps were actually connection points for the vertical cover?

See e.g. here in the topmost image the "cargo straps" and underneath in your image no "cargo straps": Speculation: Model X five seater is missing a panel to hide seat bottoms?

No, the luggage compartment cover (rear panel)has not been removed. Picture #1 shows it in place with the new front panel. How do we come up with this stuff???

Unfortunately @krouebi is right, the five seater (or all new Model Xs?) seems to ship without the lateral profiles for a potential luggage compartment top cover. (Though those lateral profiles were never as pronounced as on the Model S, so maybe Tesla never intended them for that purpose anyway - still, they could be useful for some aftermarket product...)

The luggage compartment cover issue is just one more of those things where Model X trunk falls short of the competition. It is truly odd, really.

By the way, do remind me guys, is the non-chrome bits at the end of the trunk (next to the latch for the trunk door) a non-P feature or a five-seater feature? I haven't been keeping up. These are chrome in some of the models.

model_x_five_seater_six_seater_trunk_side_profiles.jpg

@vandacca,

it IS necessary.

Maybe one cannot look directly into the luggage compartment through rear or side windows without the aid of sunlight or flashlight, but with those aids you most definitely can.

With the 6/7 seaters there's a free view through the windshield into the back - with the 5 seater this is not the case, and this is one of the reasons why we waited for it.

It's also an issue of not having the content of the luggage compartment immediately visible to passengers, and having less room to heat in winter.

In many parts of Europe leaving any items visible inside a parked vehicle is not wise, and having to stow everything away in the underfloor compartments is not practical in everyday life.

A vehicle in this price range should be reasonably equipped - we're talking about a "premium" vehicle, not some discount Dacia (which BTW does have such a shelf).

@vandacca,

it IS necessary.

Maybe one cannot look directly into the luggage compartment through rear or side windows without the aid of sunlight or flashlight, but with those aids you most definitely can.

With the 6/7 seaters there's a free view through the windshield into the back - with the 5 seater this is not the case, and this is one of the reasons why we waited for it.

It's also an issue of not having the content of the luggage compartment immediately visible to passengers, and having less room to heat in winter.

In many parts of Europe leaving any items visible inside a parked vehicle is not wise, and having to stow everything away in the underfloor compartments is not practical in everyday life.

A vehicle in this price range should be reasonably equipped - we're talking about a "premium" vehicle, not some discount Dacia (which BTW does have such a shelf).
Here is my setup. Turned all the lights in my garage (moderately lit) and I took a very powerful flashlight and shined it into the fwd window and rear hatch. I couldn't see anything inside the vehicle. Both the fwd windows and hatchback are tinted enough to make seeing anything very difficult.

The only thing you would be able to see is something very tall, almost touching the glass window. Otherwise, it's next to impossible to see anything back there.

Last edited:
Here is my setup. Turned all the lights in my garage (moderately lit) and I took a very powerful flashlight and shined it into the fwd window and rear hatch. I couldn't see anything inside the vehicle. Both the fwd windows and hatchback are tinted enough to make seeing anything very difficult.

The only thing you would be able to see is something very tall, almost touching the glass window. Otherwise, it's next to impossible to see anything back there.
I have a very funny picture of you doing this. The things we do for this forum.

I wonder if the lack of a parcel shelf is because of the design history of the Model X rear interior.

We know Tesla was aiming for a foldable second row for seven seater still a year prior to shipping the Signatures (it was specifically mentioned). This may have meant quite different plans for the five seat version too.

Then everything suddenly had to be re-designed around non-folding second row and a different five-seater design... with the long list of open issues, this may have been one where Tesla simply chose to cut corners and not worry about it.

Now, not designing one for the five seater where the side panels were redesigned anyway and a year's delay added is odd. But again given how incomplete it shipped, maybe Tesla has simply had difficulty in getting it all done. Maybe the parcel shelf will come later with proper rails attached to the new flat side profiles.

Perhaps they are still even aiming for a folding second row for seven seaters and waiting for that redesign to introduce the whole shebang, including a parcel shelf as well.

I mean, seems poor management of course too. Maybe that Volvo interior guy hire will help...

Note from Tesla about Autopilot on all our 5 seat Model X's:

Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the new sensor suite using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and performance. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, and Autopilot functionality such as lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time.

Note from Tesla about Autopilot on all our 5 seat Model X's:

Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the new sensor suite using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and performance. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, and Autopilot functionality such as lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time.
I believe this was announced when the 2nd generation AP hardware began being deployed in Oct. The download was scheduled for end of Dec. at that time. I think the latest is a couple more weeks.

Can someone post a side view of the rear bench but standing back enough so the whole car is in view? I can't seem to find a photo of this anywhere.
Took these pics today, picked my 5 seat MX90D Titanium, in Vancouver, BC on the 27th of Dec. Just loving the experience so far!
Back ordered larger cover too!

Attachments

• IMG_3621.JPG
    IMG_3621.JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3622.JPG
    IMG_3622.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3623.JPG
    IMG_3623.JPG
    685.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3624.JPG