Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need a quick bit of advice on tinting film choice. My installer recommended Madico Wincos film. (When I asked him about 3M Crystalline, he said he's had problems with ghosting, so he doesn't use it). He quoted me $400 for the doors and trunk.

Thinking about doing 60% on all doors and 30% on the rear. Primary goal is controlling interior heat, especially when the sun is shining directly on a passenger. I also don't want to go too dark on the front windows (illegal in CA), and I'd like all four doors to match. (I was considering the 45% on the doors, but my guy doesn't stock it.) This seems like a good balance, and 45 might be too dark on the front doors, anyway.

I haven't heard much talk here about Wincos, so any advice is greatly appreciated! Thoughts?

http://www.wincosir.com/car_tint.html
http://www.madico.com/window-film/automotive/

Thanks!

I've researched them all before getting mine done. Get Photosync, you won't be disappointed with its heat resistance. It will cost more, but imo definitely worth the extra.

Not to sound like a broken recorder. Extremely satisfied with Photosync. I just took an iphone shot of this while I was driving. Really can't tell there's anything on the windscreen, but it sure as heck helps in how I feel in the car. Unless the S is actually in 95+ weather, I do not even turn my AC on now. And when I do, it's only at a quarter of where I normally would have it dialed to, so it's nice to see my range not affected because of AC use.

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 1,765
As much as I appreciate PhotoSync's heat-blocking capability, to my eye it just has too much of a blue color. That hint of color won't be as noticeable on or might actually enhance the look of white, blue, grey, or red cars, but I think it will take away from the stealthy awesomeness of my black color.

I've narrowed it down to Llumar CTX or Formula One Pinnacle for my side windows and rear panel. I may still get the lightest PhotoSync (90?) for the windshield to try to cut the heat.

Has anyone tinted their pano for heat reduction? Or is it really not necessarily? I'm thinking that I'll do the sides, rear, and windshield, but leave the pano alone since I can always get it done later.

I'm interested in the material that will cut out the most heat possible. From what I've researched from this thread it looks like Photosync is the answer! Negatives include slightly higher cost and a slight hint of blue (something that would like fine on my Blue Model S?) Now I have to decide on tint level...

Let me know if I came to the wrong conclusion, thanks.

I'm interested in the material that will cut out the most heat possible. From what I've researched from this thread it looks like Photosync is the answer! Negatives include slightly higher cost and a slight hint of blue (something that would like fine on my Blue Model S?) Now I have to decide on tint level...

Let me know if I came to the wrong conclusion, thanks.

I don't believe photosync comes in dark tints. Might not be a negative to many, but for some it is.

I don't believe photosync comes in dark tints. Might not be a negative to many, but for some it is.

That's good to know, thanks! I'd actually prefer a medium or light tint so that's not a negative. The darkest I'd consider is 40 but I'm thinking 50 might be what I want. The main reason I'd choose a dark tint was for more heat blocking ability but it sounds like with photosync there's no need for a dark tint in that regard! :D

HELP>>>>>>>That's my Pearl White P85 Sig with dark 21's in the background on photo #2 …. (BTW all the work was well done on the red MS's!)

I thinking about 90 vs 80 on the front windshield (a post above shows that 90 is legal in CA), 40 on all side windows (not legal but looks great) and 20 on the hatch (I have the "kids" seats) less than 20 may effect night visibility for fast glance out the rear e.g. lane changes without the rear camera on).

I'm running with no front plate so the dark rims with less than 40 will be a little risky…I may have to move out of CA before I "fix-it."

Constructive comments or morale support on this plan would be greatly appreciated!

I went with Formula One Pinnacle 15 on rear hatch, 40 on all windows, AirBlue 80 on windshield. They said to put it in the sun for a few days to cure so I parked in open direct sun light from 11am to 3pm-outside temp hit as high as 92. I was able to sit in the car without a/c for the 1st hour….the stuff works great! Rear/sunglass visibility seems fine (I have not driven at night yet). Thanks for all the feedback. I try to post a pic when I clean the car next.

Joe Fee

That's good to know, thanks! I'd actually prefer a medium or light tint so that's not a negative. The darkest I'd consider is 40 but I'm thinking 50 might be what I want. The main reason I'd choose a dark tint was for more heat blocking ability but it sounds like with photosync there's no need for a dark tint in that regard! :D

Yeh their darkest is 35%, but what sold me on it was the demo set up at Premier when they comped a light Photosync to a limo tint and Photosync actually felt better behind the heat lamp.

I have a MC Red, P85+ and had XPEL film put on the hood, front and rear bumper, headlights along with 3M Crystalline 70 window tint (subtle but effective)
- all done by Detailing Dynamics on Long Island (
66 Windsor Ave Mineola, NY 11501 (516) 747-4114). Eddie and his team did a magnificent job. I have no affiliation with them but I highly recommend the company.

Just had my multicoat red done by Extreme Autoworks in Cerritos CA with photosynch 55 front and 35 back.

The first thing I noticed was the fan speed was a lot slower in the 85 degree heat than it usually was. I didn't notice the blue tint folks were talking about and from the outside appears dark helped by a black interior. I normally would do 20% in the back, but 35% offered the privacy I was looking for.

The process took about 2.5 hours with an appointment.

I will angst about whether to return and have the windshield done. Big difference so far.

Just had my multicoat red done by Extreme Autoworks in Cerritos CA with photosynch 55 front and 35 back.

The first thing I noticed was the fan speed was a lot slower in the 85 degree heat than it usually was. I didn't notice the blue tint folks were talking about and from the outside appears dark helped by a black interior. I normally would do 20% in the back, but 35% offered the privacy I was looking for.

The process took about 2.5 hours with an appointment.

I will angst about whether to return and have the windshield done. Big difference so far.

I stopped by Extreme Autowerks on Wednesday and spoke to Alex about Photosync for my S. I am contemplating which shade to use and was planning on either 55 or 45 on all the side windows, 35 on the rear hatch and 75 on the pano and windshield. If it is not too much of an inconvenience, please post pics of the tint so I can get an idea of how dark it looks.

Thanks

My office at the tint place and tint photos. Car at Los Alamitos or Orange if you wish to see in person. I will try and make Costa Mesa event

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373694639011.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373694639011.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,147
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373694663214.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373694663214.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3,136
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373694687134.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373694687134.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 3,101
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373694715415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373694715415.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 3,101
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373694737211.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373694737211.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373694764644.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373694764644.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,144
Any MultiCoat Reds with window tinting? Not really interested in dark tints but care more about heat rejection. Struggling with blue tint on Wincos and Photosynch.

I personally do not see the blue that some are talking about. Since hitting 100 degrees on several days, I was driving in total comfort as I made my way up to Napa. I was with a friend who drove his M3 and had Suntek tint. He had just a little bit too much to drink so we decided to just leave his car at one of the winery's parking lot and take my S. He immediately noticed a difference in the feel. It was slightly warm in my car with photosync whereas his was burning to the touch on the seats (we were wearing shorts). This is by far the best mod so far.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 3,221