Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the PhotoSync applied to all windows including pano roof yesterday. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of bubbles in tint which distort the view very noticeably. I noticed this after returning home. I called and was told to wait a week, and if it was still there, I they would redo the tint.

Did anyone else have this happen to them? Other than those pesky bubbles, the tint is holding up great. I was driving all around Dallas, TX yesterday with the AC fan on 4, yet it was 108 degrees outside and I hardly noticed!

So as far as heat rejection goes, it is working great!

You're mostly likely seeing the water/soap solution that was used in the tint application process. It will dry and go away, hence them telling you to wait a week. If you're left with any small air bubbles, then they need to do a better job.

No bubbles in my Photosync application. There were small dimples in a regular pattern all over the film that went away after a day, either something that's manufactured in the film or the result of a rolling tool my installer used. Smooth as glass now.

I went with PS 65 all around and it's hardly any different than the factory tint, but wow does it make a difference on heat when driving in the sun.

The "blueish-green" tint is the factory tint to the glass. With the two cars sitting next to each other in the garage, my windows with Photosync look identical to my wife's BMW with factory glass.

No bubbles in my Photosync application. There were small dimples in a regular pattern all over the film that went away after a day, either something that's manufactured in the film or the result of a rolling tool my installer used. Smooth as glass now.

I went with PS 65 all around and it's hardly any different than the factory tint, but wow does it make a difference on heat when driving in the sun.

The "blueish-green" tint is the factory tint to the glass. With the two cars sitting next to each other in the garage, my windows with Photosync look identical to my wife's BMW with factory glass.

I initially thought the bluish was from Phtoosync, but after seeing non-tinted cars @ Teslive, it's actually in the glass. No bubbles here after the 1st day, but it was about 100 degrees then. Still very happy with it. I've also gotten comfortable with photosync on the car. Went out to a company brunch in colleague's car and boy that car was baking hot.

Finally got a Photosync installer for Las Vegas, will post my results when I receive them. $599 for the windows, $250 for the windshield, and $250 for the pano = $1,099. Steep for tint, but I'll let you guys know if it's worth it.

Undoubtedly, you guys need it!!! :eek:

Attachments

• LV.jpg
    LV.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,656
Went tint shopping today, got some quotes for people in SoCal for the windshield, sides & hatch glass.

Extreme Autoworks in Cerritos offers Prestige Spectra Photosync, they are running a deal for $1000, Lummar Formula 1 Pinnacle was $610.
Unique Auto Films in Tarzana has LLumar CTX for $580, 3M Scotchgard partial paint protection runs $695
Tint Masters in Conaga Park has SunTek CXP for $400
Fresh Window Tint in Chatsworth has 3M Crystalline for $1050, Huper Optik Nano Ceramic for $950 & LLumar CTX for $800 & 3M Scotchgard partial paint protection for $750.
Note these were "haggled" cash prices :wink:

Update on 8-17
West Coast window tint 3M Crystalline for $950
Solar Eclipse in Woodland Hills wanted $800 for 3M Crystalline & $1000 for XPEL partial (they were going to "throw in" the back bumper & door thresholds, I have kids)

Last edited:
Went tint shopping today, got some quotes for people in SoCal for the windshield, sides & hatch glass.

Extreme Autoworks in Cerritos offers Prestige Spectra Photosync, they are running a deal for $1000, Lummar Formula 1 Pinnacle was $610.
Unique Auto Films in Tarzana has LLumar CTX for $580, 3M Scotchgard partial paint protection runs $695
Fresh Window Tint in Chatsworth has 3M Crystalline for $1050, Huper Optik Nano Ceramic for $950 & LLumar CTX for $800 & 3M Scotchgard partial paint protection for $750.

Wow they really rip you guys off over there on the West Coast. Those prices are absurd compared to the East.

The San Diego Tesla Club has negotiated the following prices at Mr. Tint in Escondido:

All sides and rear hatch window in Formula One Pinnacle (any shade) for $300. We recommend 35% for the sides and 15% for the rear hatch (to match the color of the pano roof). If you want to tint the pano roof, it's an additional $140.

AirBlue 80 on the front windshield is $120. Yes, you do get a rainbow effect with polarized sunglasses using AB80, as you do with many other tints. I've gotten used to it, or get driving sunglasses that are not polarized if it bothers you. Or you can get PhotoSync put on the front windshield in Cerritos.

At Mr. Tint, the process takes 3-4 hours. They do a great job.

The San Diego Tesla Club has negotiated the following prices at Mr. Tint in Escondido:

All sides and rear hatch window in Formula One Pinnacle (any shade) for $300. We recommend 35% for the sides and 15% for the rear hatch (to match the color of the pano roof). If you want to tint the pano roof, it's an additional $140.

AirBlue 80 on the front windshield is $120. Yes, you do get a rainbow effect with polarized sunglasses using AB80, as you do with many other tints. I've gotten used to it, or get driving sunglasses that are not polarized if it bothers you. Or you can get PhotoSync put on the front windshield in Cerritos.

At Mr. Tint, the process takes 3-4 hours. They do a great job.

Is the rainbow effect you're talking about on the Airblue what SCW-Greg was complaining about? How bad or noticeable is it?

Is the rainbow effect you're talking about on the Airblue what SCW-Greg was complaining about? How bad or noticeable is it?

Sorry, I can't read the whole thread to find the post you're talking about. It is noticeable (as it is with many tints) but it's not bad. Just get non-polarized sunglasses for driving, because the tint is already polarized and that's what causes the rainbow effect. I've gotten used to it, so it doesn't bother me at all.