Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chad, do you think they have revised this with software upgrades? When I do the occasional Range charge it does not seem to be an On or Off issue like it used to.

The Roadster's regen itself clearly starts small and grows over time. It's only the lamp on the dash that has to be on-or-off. (And it does appear to turn off before regen is fully restored).

The Roadster's regen itself clearly starts small and grows over time. It's only the lamp on the dash that has to be on-or-off. (And it does appear to turn off before regen is fully restored).

That's what I meant.

And I too use my cellphone to take pictures of VDscreens that are new to me. Service wants the exact description and/or the code in the corner.

This am I tried to use the power port between the seats. I plugged in a small tire air pump to this cigarette lighter/ power port which the manual says is good for 15 amps or 180 watts. I blew the fuse in less than a second. Looking at the manual further, the fuse in this location is marked with a "5". Does this mean 5 or 15? Is it mismarked?
Immediately after this the warning light came on saying the 12 volt battery has a fault. Repair quickly. Replace 12 volt battery.

I called and they put a service order in, but I have not yet heard back(Only 6 hours ago). The car otherwise works like a champ. I love it.

Did anyone post the workaround for the intermittent buzzing in night mode noise yet? It is rare, but I had it happen again today. I called service just so they could mark the time and pull my car logs, and I was immediately given a workaround which was to adjust screen brightness to 100%. I did that, and it did the trick for me. They also said they are working on a more permanent fix.

at 87% and above it doesn't buzz in mine. Not a big deal and I'm sure they'll have a fix.

Picked up my Model S today, and ran some errands. About 60 miles into my journey, I had just dropped the kids off at home. When I got back into the car, there was a message something like:

12V Battery is low. Car my shut down at any time.
Contact service

(I didn't get a picture). I reset both the instrument cluster and the center console and the message was gone, and I haven't seen it since.

I could have sworn that someone else on this thread or on the forum had a similar experience. I'm not spooked (yet), but the phrase "may shut down at any time" is not something you want to see in a *car* :).

/Mitch.

Picked up my Model S today, and ran some errands. About 60 miles into my journey, I had just dropped the kids off at home. When I got back into the car, there was a message something like:

Contact service

(I didn't get a picture). I reset both the instrument cluster and the center console and the message was gone, and I haven't seen it since.

I could have sworn that someone else on this thread or on the forum had a similar experience. I'm not spooked (yet), but the phrase "may shut down at any time" is not something you want to see in a *car* :).

/Mitch.

It's problems like this that have me worried. Reading through the thread, I have to wonder how some of these problems weren't caught during what is suppose to be an extensive QC. Loose valve stems, steering alignment out of adjustment, bad door handle, etc. I am baffled why these problems surface so suddenly after a customer takes delivery, especially if an extensive QC is being done. Maybe Tesla needs to revisit their QC procedures.

Contact service

/Mitch.

Contact service if you didn't do it already. The nice thing is that they can pull the logs remotely and tell you if you have an issue or not.

Remember that this is common for ALL NEW CARS JD Power's average rating for initial quality (problems in first 90 days) is 102 per 100 cars. Yes that is right there are on average more problems than cars in the first 90 days.
JD Power said:
Overall initial quality for the industry improves by 5 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100) to average 102 PP100 in 2012--an improvement of 5 percent from 2011.

Lexus had the least amount of problems industry wide with a paltry 73 problems per 100 vehicles
JD Power said:
Lexus is the highest-ranked nameplate in the industry for a second consecutive year, averaging 73 PP100. With 75 PP100 each, Jaguar and Porsche follow Lexus in a tie to rank second.
2012 U.S. Initial Quality Study Results | J.D. Power

New cars have defects. What's important is how the manufacturer deals with them. If there is a system in place to fix them without more than a minor inconvenience to the owner, then it's a non-issue. If you have to fight with them (or more likely the dealer for other cars) before they fix it--assuming they ever do, putting off repairs until the vehicle is out of warranty so the customer can be charged is an all too common tactic--then it's a problem.

Im am new to this forum and just placed my order for the S yesterday. I must admit I'm a little concerned with the small but yet irritating issues that are popping up for a car in this price range. I hope someone from Tesla is reading and listening. Obviously I am a fan and want to succeed but they must improve to their QC or else once the top luxury car companies (BMW, Porsche, Merc) start manufacturing EVs at some point, it will be game over.

Im am new to this forum and just placed my order for the S yesterday. I must admit I'm a little concerned with the small but yet irritating issues that are popping up for a car in this price range. I hope someone from Tesla is reading and listening. Obviously I am a fan and want to succeed but they must improve to their QC or else once the top luxury car companies (BMW, Porsche, Merc) start manufacturing EVs at some point, it will be game over.

I have had many new cars - some flawless. The Model S is still, by far, my favorite.

Because of the over-the-air updates, by the time you get your car the majority of the early bugs will be gone. They've already squashed many of them.

I don't think you'll have to worry about any of the larger car companies. They are all doing as little as possible to forward EVs, other than a press announcement and a concept car every so often. By the time they get serious, it will be too late for most of them.

Welcome to the forum.

Speaking as one of the apparently "lucky" ones, I've been satisfied with the QC on my vehicle, though there are some nitpicks (like my Paint Armor isn't applied yet) that I consider well within the "early adopter" tax.

While it can be concerning, as you note, hearing the negatives on the forum keep in mind that people are usually less vocal about "no issues" (much like people are quicker to complain during employee reviews than to praise).

I suspect the "lucky" are outnumbering the "unlucky", otherwise the "quiet many" would likely find the TMC forum (or the official TMI forum) and vent a bit.

Welcome to the forum.

Speaking as one of the apparently "lucky" ones, I've been satisfied with the QC on my vehicle, though there are some nitpicks (like my Paint Armor isn't applied yet) that I consider well within the "early adopter" tax.

While it can be concerning, as you note, hearing the negatives on the forum keep in mind that people are usually less vocal about "no issues" (much like people are quicker to complain during employee reviews than to praise).

I suspect the "lucky" are outnumbering the "unlucky", otherwise the "quiet many" would likely find the TMC forum (or the official TMI forum) and vent a bit.

Thank you for the valuable feedback. I am 469 on the Canadian list. They say delivery will be 9 months away. Can't wait.

After delivery today, there are a couple of things that have to be resolved on my model S.

1. For some reason, the GPS receiver isn't working as the car thinks it's on Deer Creek Rd. in Menlo Park and the maps are gray. There is no apparent way to force a GPS update, a reboot didn't fix. Service is being alerted.
2. TPMS error is displayed; DS thought it might be the tire pressure being on the high side during transport, but it didn't resolve when we let some air out to reach standard cold tire pressure. Neither 20 miles of driving, nor a reboot fixed it either. Service is being alerted.
3. This isn't an issue with the car, but rather the UMC: I have the dreaded UMC range problem where it must be held directly above the rear glass when pushing the button before the charge port will open. A new UMC is being provisioned to replace this one.