Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Ranger did a "hard boot" to fix a problem with the liftgate. He disconnected the 12v battery to let all the computer systems reset - unfortunately the battery is not easily accessible. He also warned that if "you drop a bolt" you have to basically disassemble all the frunk trim to get access. Not something I want to do...

If I recall the 12V battery layout, you should definitely not drop a bolt onto THAT unless you like molten metal and 500A+ current spikes.

My late dad told me a story of someone (!) dropping a 28" crescent wrench into the battery comparment of a mini submarine, shorting out a 750AH 36V pack. Luckily the wrench melted off the terminals in short order... was a 'mess'.

Would owners mind giving us an update on potential issues with the sunroof? ( I'm referring to possible noise and/ or creaking when opening up the sunroof as well as wind related noise when driving.)
I have a creak somewhere in the rear section in the sunroof. They are going to look at it when they replace my windshield. I've also developed a creak from the seatbelt retractor mechanism on the drivers side. I'll have them check that out too.

I actually had a dream last night on this, no joke. I got my car and it was plagued with issues. In my dream it was sort of possessed car, lights came on and off sporadically, doors wouldn't stay closed, flickering displays. Then it flipped to some interview with Musk and a panel of other Tesla folks in a post mortem interview of the Model S release with an audience of disgrunted owners that were heckling the panel due shoddy quality. The panel walked out mid-interview, looking sad and beaten.

I guess my subconscious is rather worried.

I actually had a dream last night on this, no joke. I got my car and it was plagued with issues. In my dream it was sort of possessed car, lights came on and off sporadically, doors wouldn't stay closed, flickering displays. Then it flipped to some interview with Musk and a panel of other Tesla folks in a post mortem interview of the Model S release with an audience of disgrunted owners that were heckling the panel due shoddy quality. The panel walked out mid-interview, looking sad and beaten.

Your license plate wouldn't happen to say "Christine" on it, would it?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a creak somewhere in the rear section in the sunroof. They are going to look at it when they replace my windshield.

Is it a creak when opening the sunroof? Also, what happened to the windshield?

Is it a creak when opening the sunroof? Also, what happened to the windshield?
No, it's a creak when open or closed. I can't quite tell if it's the fixed glass portion or the support cross member. It gets worse when the body is stressed (going up an uneven driveway or over bumps). As for the windshield there is a flaw in the UV coating right in the driver's field of view that makes it look like you are looking through wavy water. Tesla is going to replace it and send it back to the glass vendor for inspection.

Tesla is going to replace it and send it back to the glass vendor for inspection.
Worried as I might be on the quality front, that's actually reasonably benign and obviously a supplier issue rather than a core issue with Tesla's design (which I'm worried about on the pano squeaks). Though I'm a little surprised it slipped through the 50-100 miles of test drive given it's on the driver's side.

Lots of little glitches! My UMC button has now stopped popping the charge port, I'll have to take it in to the service center to have it checked out next time I'm there.

I've requested to Tesla that a quadruple-click on the key fob (essentially "open - open") should pop the charge port door. Too many situations where this would be convenient:

1. The Roadster HPC <-> Model S adapter doesn't pop the charge port, so it has to be done manually from inside.
2. Half the time it's more convenient to plug the car-end of the mobile charger in first, but the UMC button only works if you plug the wall-end in first.
3. I can't count of the number of times I've been in a parking lot somewhere, strike up a conversation about the Model S, and want to quickly pop the charge port to show it, without having to awkwardly bend into the car to fiddle with the touchscreen to pop it open.

This should be a trivial change in a software update; I hope they listen! (User-settable options for triple-click and quadruple-click would be even better!)

I volunteer as an arbitrator for the Lemon Law for the State of Florida. One of my favorite cases was "The Case of the Haunted <manufacturer redacted>", around 10 years ago. The car basically behaved just like your dream, with one major addition. For Lemon Law cases, I have to drive the vehicle. While I was driving it, the lights started flashing, the wipers started going, and then the car said, "HELLO!" to me. The stereo was one of the ones where it would speak "Hello" when it turned on, and whatever the problem was with this car, it caused the stereo to turn on and off, in addition to the other electrical devices. I decided that either the car was haunted, or I was on Candid Camera--but it was neither. I gave the consumer a new car.

3. I can't count of the number of times I've been in a parking lot somewhere, strike up a conversation about the Model S, and want to quickly pop the charge port to show it, without having to awkwardly bend into the car to fiddle with the touchscreen to pop it open.
Most cars have a lever or button to pop the gas cap. Given you pop the charge port door far more on an EV than an ICE gas cap, it should have been a similarly simple, single purpose button to pop the charge port.

I've requested to Tesla that a quadruple-click on the key fob (essentially "open - open") should pop the charge port door. Too many situations where this would be convenient:

1. The Roadster HPC <-> Model S adapter doesn't pop the charge port, so it has to be done manually from inside.
2. Half the time it's more convenient to plug the car-end of the mobile charger in first, but the UMC button only works if you plug the wall-end in first.

This should be a trivial change in a software update; I hope they listen! (User-settable options for triple-click and quadruple-click would be even better!)
1) I wondered if it was supposed to work like that. Figured it doesn't since the whole thing seems like a hack. It charges and that's all I care about. :smile:

Another button on side of key fob for the charger port could be an answer too. I have a hard time with the roll down all windows function on the keyfob too. (double click then click-hold, iirc)

Tesla needs to come out with the Smartphone app. I would much rather control these functions via my phone, as it seems more convenient than nested key fob functions.

Also, they are working on the excessive battery use while sitting. Apparently Elon was adamant that the car start up instantly when the driver sits down so all the computers are kept up and humming all the time. They are working on ways to cut this idle power usage.

I am glad to hear they are working on it. I don't often leave my car around unplugged; but when I have with the Roadster, it seems to lose about 1% of capacity per day. I just tried this with the Model S; we went to Cannon Beach OR, and it sat unplugged for a little under 2 days. It lost 26 miles, which is more like 5% per day. Yikes. Fortunately we still had enough to make it back to Portland - without as much buffer as I would have liked, but I'd remembered this thread and also knew there was an EVSE in Timber, OR that was right on the way so we stopped there for a little while.

I hate that this is the thread that I frequent most often, but here are a few updates:

My charge door not opening problem magically disappeared. Tesla was nice enough to give me a new UMC (although I'm somewhat convinced they just said they were switching them out and gave me my old one back, it has a scratch in the same spot) so hopefully the problem won't surface again. I've also had my spoiler added as well as the rear parcel shelf (not sure if it's the new or old design).

More developments have surfaced regarding my dreaded passenger front door. They are going to replace my door latch, which will hopefully help the situation. It is currently on order and I'll update when it is installed. In other passenger door news, my electric handle no longer extends when I touch it, only with the double tap of the key fob. When recessed, the handle also appears to be sunken in more than the others, with a noticeable gap between the door and the handle, maybe 1-2mm. I'm not sure if the issues are related at all, but that door has definitely been a troublemaker. The reliability of the door handles was a concern of mine before the car was ordered, and I'm a bit displeased that my worries have come to fruition.

Tesla in general has been fairly good in dealing with the issues. I'm sure everyone at the service center hates my guts by now (I've been rather... firm with them regarding my issues) but they have still been doing their best to accommodate me and return my calls and texts in a very timely manner. They've also said they will throw in some freebies to make up for all of my issues, as well as some MAJOR issues I had with their communications with me.

I still LOVE the driving experience of the car, and I really want Tesla to succeed, but with my issues I've become a bit paranoid now at every hint of something going wrong. Hopefully as things get corrected, the car will no longer require weekly trips to the service center, but in the meantime the issues have soured my experience ever so slightly. I had been Tesla's biggest cheerleader before receiving the car, and I've been slightly put off by my experience afterwards. I hope that soon I will be back to my head cheerleader position :smile:

I hate that this is the thread that I frequent most often, but here are a few updates:

...I had been Tesla's biggest cheerleader before receiving the car, and I've been slightly put off by my experience afterwards. I hope that soon I will be back to my head cheerleader position :smile:

Sorry you're having a bad time. But wait! I thought *I* was their biggest cheerleader! My door latch quit, it was replaced. All is well. Also the Frunk latch bent, and was replaced and is better than before. Also the rear hatch had to be re-aligned. It looks great. Also the charge door magnet catch popped off and I reglued it with superglue. I found that the charge door antenna is about half a dozen lines down on the rear hatch, so if it doesn't see the cord, I just point it at the hatch, and no more problems.

Hey. This is a new car. First one off the shelf. You knew it would be hard for Tesla to get it all perfect the first time, what with suppliers not doing it right. I can't believe the whole car is so doggone wonderful. All of my issues have been taken care of, and new ones will be taken care of. Yeah, it's a pain to take the time, but it's free, and I support Tesla. I keep feeling amazed that I can be driving the best car in the world. (sorry for all you that don't agree, but it's just an opinion)

Chin up, Bucko! It will all be OK in a little while. Your repair trips will get further between, and you will again love your car. There isn't another one like it, and you know it!

Besides, I got two phone calls today while driving back from the shop, with people wanting to ask about the car, and two Prii drove by with thumbs up and all smiles. Left me feeling pretty good.

RAH RAH, GO TESLA!

I still LOVE the driving experience of the car, and I really want Tesla to succeed, but with my issues I've become a bit paranoid now at every hint of something going wrong. Hopefully as things get corrected, the car will no longer require weekly trips to the service center, but in the meantime the issues have soured my experience ever so slightly. I had been Tesla's biggest cheerleader before receiving the car, and I've been slightly put off by my experience afterwards. I hope that soon I will be back to my head cheerleader position :smile:

If it helps, I was in the same boat as you with my Roadster for the first six months. Way too many ranger call outs.

But, for the past year, zero issues. The car runs like a dream, and I almost miss the rangers. The filth in the PEM and battery compartment shows how good it has been :)

Sig698, sorry to hear your problems, sounds like you got a bad door handle and that's caused he door problem also. Just wanted to add my reassurance that I've had zero problems with anything to date.....aside from the fact that my wife now drives Model S all the time and I'm back in the Roadster (I know, I know, that's pretty good consolation).