Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it was "winter" (it's never really winter in Silicon Valley, but the sun is slightly less powerful in early January) I didn't have a problem, but lately my car's interior has been heating up in the sun, and now on sunny afternoons I'll get a squeak around the sun shade for the speedometer.

Me too! It is a very weird sound. I'm guessing it's water droplets buzzing around in the wind somehow.

In another thread (I'm too lazy to find, sorry) there's a lot of discussion about the little triangle window and wind noise, so could be related. Known problem that Tesla service centers have a fix for, so make sure it is on your list next time you take it in.

I'm getting a rattle. I think it's from the driver's seat-belt retractor. Anyone else?

Yes, I've had this creaking from the seatbelt retractors since day one. The LA service center replaced the driver's side seatbelt mechanism and the creaking came back within a few days. This seems to be a design flaw with the seatbelt mechanism. It's been reported to engineering (according to the LA service techs).

All -

My pano roof is now creaking *a lot* - I sure hope they can tighter/grease it so it doesn't make so much noise.... It also creaks when open and at highway speeds from the wind...

As soon as the White Plains service center is open, I'm making an appointment...

Aaron

Yes, I've had this creaking from the seatbelt retractors since day one. The LA service center replaced the driver's side seatbelt mechanism and the creaking came back within a few days. This seems to be a design flaw with the seatbelt mechanism. It's been reported to engineering (according to the LA service techs).

I think I'm experiencing this as well. Seems worse when really cold, but that's just a preliminary observation. Seems to be sufficiently muffled by mid-level volume music, but it's definitely coming from the B-pillar area or seat belt mechanism.

I wonder if it's dependent on the height of the seatbelt user. I haven't any any sounds out of the seatbelt retractors -- but everyone who uses my car is under 5'5" tall.

Local service diagnosed the buzzing/vibration that I reported in the driver side window as coming from the seat belt mechanism, and ordered me one. I'm not 100% convinced that this is the source of it, but I'll let them try it.

I think I'm experiencing this as well. Seems worse when really cold, but that's just a preliminary observation. Seems to be sufficiently muffled by mid-level volume music, but it's definitely coming from the B-pillar area or seat belt mechanism.

I had this problem and thought it was seat belt mechanism but turned out to be seat belt receiver knocking against lower part of seat structure. Sounds seemed to be coming from higher up, but were really by bottom of seat. I put felt pads on receiver where it was knocking and it was fixed. Check this before they rip your car apart.

tomas-

Rode part of the way home tonight with my hand wedged between the seat belt "receiver" and the door as well as between that and the seat. Still had the rattle. I have a feeling it's coming from within the pillar somehow. Maybe it's going to be one of those gremlins I am going to have to live with...

Yikes, sorry to hear, that's going to be harder!

tomas-

Rode part of the way home tonight with my hand wedged between the seat belt "receiver" and the door as well as between that and the seat. Still had the rattle. I have a feeling it's coming from within the pillar somehow. Maybe it's going to be one of those gremlins I am going to have to live with...

Local service diagnosed the buzzing/vibration that I reported in the driver side window as coming from the seat belt mechanism, and ordered me one. I'm not 100% convinced that this is the source of it, but I'll let them try it.

Buzzing from side windows on my model S was caused by the vent louvers. I was able to stop it by inserting a business card between the dash and the louver to id that this was the cause.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a similar creak/rattle in my driver side retractor. And since it is right next to my ear it is more annoying than I wish it would be.

I found the creak from the driver side was caused by the belt fabric itching against the plastic surround molding. I put a thin strip of tan mole skin adhesive felt on the lip and it stopped.