Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, wow, thread back from the dead.

Tesla S 85, early 2013 (see VIN below), no rattles, squeaks or noises from interior to report after 80000 km and 3.5 years.
As others have noted, the later (2014+) have less road noise due to design/manufacturing improvements in insulation.

Why wait for the 3, get a CPO like we did.

I have a few squeaks and rattles on my Model X in just the right conditions. Interestingly it's not on what you would consider rough roads, just roads with a bit of 'texture'. One is a buzz up front and one in the second row area is a rattle.

The Model S they gave me once was like taking a trip on an old sailing ship.

BTW the service center manager told me they can fix all of this. He asked me to pinpoint the locations and if possible, record them so they can listen to them. I suspect based on the sound they know exactly what to look for.

They are looking to reduce costs and part of that is reducing service visits, so you can be assured they will work to eliminate as many twangs and rattles as possible. I've racked up one service call for it myself but I'm an American car buyer historically so I'm pretty tolerant :D

If you're teetering on a M3 decision based on this thread, I'd suggest that until there are other choices, this should be your major equation:
+ EV
+ Tesla (software, Superchargers, etc.)
+ great cars
= Model S/3/X/Y + Trucks and Buses (and bikes / boards ?)
This should make a twangy rattle a most minor thing, even if, like me, you think you have a mild case of misophonia at times.

1+ year in on my MS with base interior (pre free Alcantara) I have 2 rattles but neither are annoying enough to have me reconsidering the car... or even doing anything about them, which contradicts what I said above, but as other members have said earlier, probably in this very thread, you can risk adding new sound effects when you ask them to fix other ones -- in my case we replaced a really annoying twang that started and ended seemingly at random, with one that happens predictably (almost always on certain streets) and is much less annoying, so I'm sticking :p

So now similar to what aesculus just said I have events that happen on certain surfaces and are not overly annoying. In addition to the above for me there is a plasticky noise that seems to be in the pano roof cross panel, but it can only be noticed in major gravity events eg. rumble strips. I hope they add a foam pad or whatever for future cars but I would not imagine wanting them to rip my roof apart to "fix" this.

I have a sound coming from the right side bolster of the driver's seat rubbing against the side of the center armrest pad. Leather rubbing against leather making noise. I'm going to try some leather cleaner/protectant/softener first. I now push one of my microfiber small towels between.