Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sitting in my S as the software update downloads: it's interesting.

One pedantic comment: I am pretty sure that the download over the 3G network and verification of the image all happen before we get the "when to install" screen. When the install happens, the full image of the new SW is already downloaded to the car.

If this was not the process, a car would be in a lot of trouble if the cell service went down mid upgrade.

Actually, it's probably a good thing if the early adopters screw with things a lot during the updates. Far better to make it fault tolerant now than to hear about a lawsuit where the car updated while a guy was driving at 2am and it caused some problem...

I'm sure Tesla is incredibly sensitive to that type of case and has all sorts of checks, but having real customers doing real world stuff during updates can only help flush out any issues.

I've been a system architect on complex, software-driven electromechanical device development projects and done software test besides. You're exactly right, we early adopters have a deep interest in the success of Tesla and anything we can do now to bring software errors to light before too many cars are in the field has the potential to save Tesla boatloads of money and avoid bad publicity later on. Besides, breaking software is fun. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

One pedantic comment: I am pretty sure that the download over the 3G network and verification of the image all happen before we get the "when to install" screen. When the install happens, the full image of the new SW is already downloaded to the car.

If this was not the process, a car would be in a lot of trouble if the cell service went down mid upgrade.

Hmmm, you may be right about that, but it may also be the case that the download is performed at update time, after user acknowledgement, and then verified before installation. No way to tell, really.

I see you're in CO, too. I'm in Broomfield; where you? Do you know how many Founders and Signatures have been delivered to CO?

Last edited:
Hmmm, you may be right about that, but it may also be the case that the download is performed at update time, after user acknowledgement, and then verified before installation. No way to tell, really.

Well, actually there is. Within a few minutes of the install starting, screens go blank, and the process seems to start. I don't know how big their image is, but it would probably take longer than that to download. Besides, the easiest way to negotiate cheap data rates is to do all of the big transfers during off-peak times. I would never start such an install process until the entire image was local, but I am a conservative system designer. It used to be that you would play games with an installer to minimize total memory needs, but memory is so cheap today, especially flash, that there is no need; multiple GBs cost a few dollars.

Is this new creep feature Tesla's answer to the "Hill Hold" feature?

I'm just wondering why you would ever need creep except on an incline?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry, I hope the creep feature is separate from hill hold, as I will likely usually want creep off (I only want the car to stop from rolling backward).

As for why somebody would want creep at all...nobody needs it...but it is useful in slow-moving bumper-to-bumper traffic as it prevents the need to move your foot back and forth between the brake and accelerator pedals--and also reduces the risk of accidentally over-juicing the accelerator and smacking into the car in front of you.

As for me, I'll probably keep creep off except for bumper-to-bumper traffic...but maybe I'll prefer it on all the time...you never know. The best thing is that there's an app (err...button...) for that.

Have had a manual car since the day I started driving, and (for me) creep is the hardest thing to get used to when I have to drive an automatic. It just feels so unnatural. I don't like it one bit.

Hill hold sounds interesting, though (aside from my first week or two of driving manual) I've never had an issue with hills. Not sure wether or not I'll use that.

I've been a system architect on complex, software-driven electromechanical device development projects and done software test besides. You're exactly right, we early adopters have a deep interest in the success of Tesla and anything we can do now to bring software errors to light before too many cars are in the field has the potential to save Tesla boatloads of money and avoid bad publicity later on. Besides, breaking software is fun. ;-)

I can confirm that he enjoys breaking software. :)

Dave had posted this on the supercharger thread but, should probably be mentioned here as this is a software update as well:

Tesla Supercharger network - Page 82

OCTOBER 19TH IS SUPERCHARGING DAY
We've been actively working on our game-changing Supercharger network. Since the unveiling last month, the installation and testing process has been in full swing. We now have some very good news to share.

As of Friday, October 19th, the first six locations will be open and ready to Supercharge your Model S.

There will be a software update sent to your Model S touchscreen just prior to October 19th. You will receive an email in advance explaining the installation procedure. It is necessary that you install this update prior to Supercharging.

We've placed Superchargers in convenient locations near fast food, other restaurants, attractions and shopping to make your Model S charge time convenient and enjoyable.

Folsom, CA
13000 Folsom Blvd, Folsom, CA 95630
Folsom Premium Outlets

Harris Ranch
24505 W Dorris Ave Coalinga, CA 93210
Near Harris Ranch Inn and Restaurant

Gilroy, CA
681 Leavesley Road, Gilroy, CA 95020
Gilroy Premium Outlet, near Sony

Barstow, CA
2812 Lenwood Rd., Barstow, CA 92311
Near Country Inn and Suites

Tejon Ranch
5602 Dennis McCarthy Dr., Lebec, CA 93243
Near Yogurtland

Los Angeles, CA
3203 Jack Northrop Ave., Hawthorne, CA 90250
Near Hawthorne Municipal Airport

We are very excited to have our first six Supercharger locations up and running. October 19th is just the beginning. We will continue to expand the Supercharger network to give you more and more freedom to take your favorite road trip.

For those of you outside California, we are actively working on Supercharger locations in other parts of North America. We'll keep you up-to-date as we continue to expand the network. If you have any questions about Supercharging, our Model S Ownership team is here for you. Call us at 877-778-3752 or email [email protected].
Let the Supercharging begin!

Seems like using the fob to auto-set settings would be a problem if BOTH fobs were in the car at the same time.
Dave, I can not tell from the email whether the key fob can still have the car auto-set the seat/mirror/steering presets. While one may wish to push the screen to choose a profile after getting into the car from time to time, most houses have 2 drivers (you really letting your kids drive this?) and one would prefer the car knows your presets based on the key fob you are carrying, setting the preference as you unlock the car, with the ability to then change the profile if the driver is not the usual keyfob holder...
Please clarify when you have a moment. Else - amazing how many features are in the update.

I played with the creep feature in my driveway today after installing the update. I've got a modest grade down from the garage to the street with a level spot at the sidewalk. Pointed downhill, in Reverse, with the front wheels on the level sidewalk, the car backs up until the front wheels encounter the uphill grade, then hunts with a period of about four seconds, rolling backward and forward about six inches. Turned the car around and pointed it uphill, in Drive, with the rear tires on the level sidewalk: a similar oscillation developed. But, and here's the interesting thing, it's not entirely repeatable: I tried it several time pointed in both directions, and sometimes it just rolls to where all four tires are on the grade, slows to a stop and sits there.

Very interesting...

I played with the creep feature in my driveway today after installing the update. I've got a modest grade down from the garage to the street with a level spot at the sidewalk. Pointed downhill, in Reverse, with the front wheels on the level sidewalk, the car backs up until the front wheels encounter the uphill grade, then hunts with a period of about four seconds, rolling backward and forward about six inches. Turned the car around and pointed it uphill, in Drive, with the rear tires on the level sidewalk: a similar oscillation developed. But, and here's the interesting thing, it's not entirely repeatable: I tried it several time pointed in both directions, and sometimes it just rolls to where all four tires are on the grade, slows to a stop and sits there.

Very interesting...
I've never had this happen in the Roadster but someone here on TMC explained that this is a byproduct of the AC motor used in the Telsa. There are no permanent magnets so both sides are created by electricity (as opposed to a permanent magnet motor that has one side power and the other side magnet) so it's difficult to "hold" a position. The motor works by switching or cycling power very fast to generate the magnetic field. So it could be related to where in the rotation the motor is when it encounters the grade and it kind of gets stuck in between two positions.

Of course a real engineer can come along and correct my reasoning :)

I played with this as well. On flat concrete, it does creep as much or more as most automatic transmissions. My driveway is moderately steep to very steep. On the more moderate sections (5-8%) in creep mode, the car comes to a stop from slow speed and just sits still. If it is stopped and I let off the brake, it just sits still. I did not see any hunting. On the steeper parts greater that 10%, up to 18%, the grade wins and car just starts rolling down the hill.

I like to drive with my lights on but I can't seem to get the driver profile to remember the "on" setting for the headlights. It always goes back to "Auto." Does anyone else have this problem? I would have thought that this would be one of the things that could be set in the profile.

In Canada, lots of us drive with our lights turned on all of the time...some car's running lights are just not that good...mid 2000 Chrysler Mini Vans were awful...

@RDruz: Currently, it always reverts to Auto. Because the Model S has highly visible daytime running lights (DRLs), Tesla probably assumed that "always on" wouldn't be an option people would default to.

In Canada, lots of us drive with our lights turned on all of the time...some car's running lights are just not that good...mid 2000 Chrysler Mini Vans were awful...
I completely understand using your main headlights on cars with poor or non-existent DRLs. But the Model S has great DRLs, so I'm not sure why you'd want to use your main headlights as well, except out of habit.

In Canada, lots of us drive with our lights turned on all of the time...
I completely understand using your main headlights on cars with poor or non-existent DRLs. But the Model S has great DRLs, so I'm not sure why you'd want to use your main headlights as well, except out of habit.

It's a habit; Canadians do it in brilliant sunshine in Florida also (sorry Jaff but it's true). But we're getting off topic here.....