Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Seat Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wet Okole now have Tesla Model S seats.
http://www.wetokole.com/tesla_model_s_seat_covers-Full-Piping.html

The site ask the following question:
"My Front Seats have side air impact bags that deploy from the seats?"

However the airbags that the Model S have in those seats aren't side impact airbags, are they? (I was under the impression that they are rear passenger airbags.)

I asked 2 different people at Tesla and they both said that it is OK to use seat covers as there are not any air bags in the front seats.

I am going to order the wet okle covers today.

I got confirmation from ownership that you should NOT use seat covers. There are indeed airbags.

Walter Frank (Tesla):

"The driver and passenger side seats do have side airbags. Tesla recommends against seat covers, as these can interfere with airbag deployment during a accident."

Airbag.png

Airbag2.png

Seat covers that are made specifically for the Model S should have weakened sides to allow the airbags to deploy properly. This is how seat covers work in other cars with side airbags. However, you need to check with the seat cover manufacturer before purchasing.

Wet Okole does have seat covers that will work for airbags, but they're a special order. Maybe they'd be willing to just modify the order for you?

So I spoke with the folks at Wet Okole and they mentioned that they personally have installed 3 of the seat covers on Teslas and they did not feel an airbag in the seat, nor is there the usual airbag tag on the seats. I did send them the pertinent pages from the safety manual and it is hard to tell if the bags are in the seats or in the door panel or pillar.

Holy smokes, it should not have to be this difficult to answer this question.

In any case, they will make my covers with side slits that are covered by overlapping fabric.

Thanks everyone.

I just spoke with the Tesla Service Center in Costa Mesa, CA; and they stated the side impact air bags are in the A and C pillars. There are no air bags in the seats.

I am one of the three which Wet Okele has installed seat covers. I have been very happy with them so far. They are great for our active lifestyle--trips to the gym and kids with swimming and other sports.

I just spoke with the Tesla Service Center in Costa Mesa, CA; and they stated the side impact air bags are in the A and C pillars. There are no air bags in the seats.

Groan - this is in direct conflict to the information given out by Ownership.

I'll reconfirm and I've asked them to also synchronize what they say. This can be a serious liability issue for Tesla if they give out the wrong information and someone gets hurt due to an airbag not deploying properly.

Groan - this is in direct conflict to the information given out by Ownership.

I'll reconfirm and I've asked them to also synchronize what they say. This can be a serious liability issue for Tesla if they give out the wrong information and someone gets hurt due to an airbag not deploying properly.
Tell me about it! That is why I ordered the covers with the cutouts. Better safe than sorry. Tired of waiting for Tesla to get their act together on this issue. If they just wrote where they were in the manual instead of using the blue diagram we couldn't be having this conversation.

Costa Mesa seems to have been mistaken. Here is what I got back from ownership:

Hi Deon,

I double checked, the side pelvis/torso airbags are definitely located front row seat backs.

I’m sent a note out about the airbags, thank you for the heads up on the information from Costa Mesa. There are also airbags that run the length of the headliner, for the A pillar to the C pillar, which may have been where the confusion came from.

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Walter Franck | Ownership Experience Advocate

Costa Mesa seems to have been mistaken. Here is what I got back from ownership:

Hi Deon,

I double checked, the side pelvis/torso airbags are definitely located front row seat backs.

I’m sent a note out about the airbags, thank you for the heads up on the information from Costa Mesa. There are also airbags that run the length of the headliner, for the A pillar to the C pillar, which may have been where the confusion came from.

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Walter Franck | Ownership Experience Advocate
Front row seat backs? Will side cut outs work? Or do they need cut outs in the back of the seat? The diagram may be way off. I am confused to say the least.
Deonb, would you mind sharing the contact information for Walter?

Front row seat backs? Will side cut outs work? Or do they need cut outs in the back of the seat? The diagram may be way off. I am confused to say the least.
Deonb, would you mind sharing the contact information for Walter?

SRS airbag capable seat covers generally just have weak stitching on one side, and marked with an SRS label. Make sure to install the driver and passenger seat covers the right way around!

It should be on the outer sides of the seats. This is how they look when deployed:
airbags_05.jpg

I contacted Walter through the 'ownership' email.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if DrTaras had the original leather removed to do the logo that was stitched on his customization, come to think of it didn't he also have TV screens installed? Must have meant taking the seats apart....he probably knows what's in there.

I'm wondering if DrTaras had the original leather removed to do the logo that was stitched on his customization, come to think of it didn't he also have TV screens installed? Must have meant taking the seats apart....he probably knows what's in there.
Thanx for the inquiry. Since I'm more of an end-user & freely admit my lack of knowledge of the insides of cars (though I know much more about the insides of people), I can postulate, based on the pictures that I posted on 'my thread' (which I dare not hotlink - winky wink) especially about the TV screens installation that Al & Eds did not access the side airbags that seem like they're isolated to the side bolsters. The Tesla logo in the head rest is a pop-out and pop-in deal. That being said, A-E's personal car that he pimped out, I believe he did some work on the side bolsters so may have some more knowledge. Sorry for the lack of info. :frown:

Update: Took car back to Wet Okele today. They removed the seat covers, modified them to accommodate in-seat air bags and reinstalled them. It took about an hour altogether. They said they would try to contact Model S owners who have their covers without the slits.