Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range increase soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range is a huge hinderance to EV adoption, so I'd bet that Tesla is working overtime to increase it. Since the packs are modular, they will be much easier to upgrade compared to the packs in other cars. The current holdup is production. Currently any packs sent to an upgrade pathway subtract from new car production.

This. Right now introducing a larger pack would cause Tesla to lose money. Every battery pack Tesla builds is getting wrapped into a $90k car; conversely, every upgrade pack they built would be a car they couldn't build/sell. Even an 110 kW new build pack with no upgrade option would mean a reduction in the number of cars they could build by almost 1/4. (Worst case, assuming every current car was an 85 and every newer car was a 110 kWh car.)

When they get more battery capacity (gigafactory?) or if demand for the Model S/X starts to soften, Tesla may release upgrade packs. Until then it'll cost them money and slow their development path. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Walter

Looks like Tesla achieved an 11% range increase with the addition of a 2nd motor. The battery remains unchanged. You don't need any evolution in battery technology to increase range - you improve the efficiency of the rest of the system.

I thought the increase was 10 miles of range and not 11% increase in range. Am I missing something? Tesla still has the ability now to release about a 110kwh battery pack at the same price as a 85kwh battery pack (given the public comments about them being able to increase power density by 7% each year) so at some point they may release a longer range battery pack. I bet they'd release a 400 mile range battery option for the Model S within the next 2 years, possibly sooner.

A 400 mile range would shut up the last few naysayers whining about range. On a less practical but more entertaining point a 400 mile range battery would allow you to enjoy your MS more on a long trip so you are not constantly driving afraid of available range if you really have fun with the acceleration :) I bet next year we will see a Model S with a facelift and larger battery capacity.

Last edited: