Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received it too.

I am livid.

I can barely type, I'm so angry.

From day one, before I ordered the car, I knew I wanted the console, and I knew I wanted it to match the decor of the car. There was never any question as to whether it would be available or not--it was just a question of when.

I feel as if Tesla --OWES-- me the center console they said that I could purchase with my car. You can't change the rules of the game after the game has started. That's what Tesla is doing.

Yep, more and more I'm being disappointed with Tesla's over promising and under delivering marketing strategy. (691 HP P85D that hits ~530HP; switch from advertising true 0-60 times without 1-ft rollout to 0-60 times with 1-ft rollout, advertising that the P85D that is more efficienct than the P85 then it actually ending up almost as efficient as the P85 after months of waiting for an update; autopilot that would be available in "several months" from October... etc)

The center console is not a deal breaker for me since after driving my first Model S with it for a few months I actually found I prefer it without a console. But my fiance, on the other hand, has been asking me regularly if they've come out with the console yet for her car and this news is disappointing.

I wound up ordering the piano black console. I like the Tesla console far better than the third-party consoles, and if piano black is going to be my only option, I figured I may as well order it before there is a shortage, so that it can be installed in June when my Next Generation seats are installed. But I'll be disappointed every time I see the Piano Black and realize that it doesn't match the rest of the car. In fact just the other day I saw a picture someone had posted on here somewhere of an installed Piano Black, and thought to myself, "I'm really glad I decided to wait for the obeche matte. I just don't like how that would look in my car."

And now this.

Wow that is so overblown. Get the piano black and leave the door open and move on with your life.
Elon or whichever decision maker decided not to ship an inferior product: thanks for maintaining the brand integrity.

I wrote to Jerome Guillen to express my displeasure. This is an excerpt:

--
I just don’t understand how a company that can make an electric car that can go from 0 to 60 in 3.1 seconds can’t figure out how to put a different piece of rectangular finish on an otherwise identically made console. And I definitely don’t understand how they can stop trying, after they made the promise to deliver this to their customers—many of whom, like me, spent well into the six figures on their automobiles.

I don’t understand it, it doesn’t make any sense, it’s wrong, and it upsets me.
--

Elon or whichever decision maker decided not to ship an inferior product: thanks for maintaining the brand integrity.

Brand integrity? Please!

We're talking about different pieces of finish on the identical console. How inferior could the consoles with the other finishes be?

And if they really were inferior, fix the problem, and get the product out. This is a product that was promised to customers. This wasn't something that they said they may or may not deliver some time in the future. People made six-figure purchase decisions based on that promise. Please don't tell us it's not a big deal. I now can't have the car that I intended to have at the time I placed my order. Getting the exact console I wanted later than I wanted it would be one thing. I was OK with that. Never being able to get the promised console at all is another thing entirely.

There is no excuse for this.

I have not received this email. Also, I have no intention of leaving the door open, as I never intend to use it to charge my phone. So having a Piano Black console makes this worth less.

I have waited almost 2 years for this. Yes, it is completely unacceptable, and yes, they do "owe" those of us who were expecting a product to be delivered. They said they would make this, and now there are not? How in any world of business is this acceptable? It is not.

might be worth merging into Model S Premium Center Console , or moving the few posts from that thread on the topic to here to keep the conversation in one place.

Maybe move those posts (including mine) here. This is a whole new discussion point.

I just emailed Tesla, though I have not received the email mentioned above myself.
Something about this just does not seem right. How can they advertise that they intend to offer this console for the last 2 years, only to retract it this late in the game? Whatever design issues they have had, they should have considered that before offering the product.

I have said this before, in that there is an alternative solution: make this console with NO finish. Just the matte leather that matches everyone's car. This would be better than Piano Black which is in stark contrast to some interiors.

I have said this before, in that there is an alternative solution: make this console with NO finish. Just the matte leather that matches everyone's car. This would be better than Piano Black which is in stark contrast to some interiors.

i agree - that would be a very good alternative. just black plastic like the rest of the console. black leather would be a bonus. i don't have glossy anything inside, so i don't really want to start now! but like others have mentioned, with this setback, i'll probably still order and just leave it flipped up all the time. oh well.

Center console will ONLY be available in piano black

Strange. Maybe they got so far behind on the front console with different trims they decided to just call it a day and offer just piano black and stop delaying the project. Why they can't apply the lesson they applied to the rear console to the front is odd. Maybe that means they may come at some point though.

Last edited: