Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They aren’t light and they was a surprise. But they are built to handle track conditions where they absolutely don’t want failures.

Track wheels aren’t light. Look at BBS weights.

The only BBS wheels I actually keep track of are the forged mag versions in the GT3s and the FI-Rs for other makes/models. Admittedly, none of these wheels are on offer for 2.5 ton super power EVs.

No doubt that I'll give the skunkwerks Track Pack Tesla engineers the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure they were working under cost constraints, among many other factors, and did the best they could.

If I were looking to pair the ccbs with forged wheels, my money would def go to the aftermarket from the most reputable custom wheel brands based in the USA.

Thanks for sharing the specs dude. Good data always appreciated. 😎

Update

I finally found some time to get a little cozier with the TP brakes over the weekend.
  • The T2 Michelin PS4S are no match *at all* for the Surface Transforms rotors and whatever brand brake pad Tesla curated for the TP. Getting into instant ABS in 80 degree hwy heat from just normal hwy speeds is just bonkers. It's borderline too instantaneous, but still linear/predictable with your right (or left) foot. There is so much braking overhead you have this overwhelming sense of sat that finally the brake package can hang with the Plaid's prodigious power output.
  • Logically, minimal to no brake dust
  • Too new to matter, but no odd noises other than a light honking noise while once reversing in a parking maneuver which I can totally live with to avoid TSC techs ripping into it again
  • Damn I love doing the look back more than ever
I need to make sure to exercise these brakes on a recurring basis just to show them some love as Tesla's excellent regen drastically reduces the need to actually brake in my daily driving scenarios.

Many would agree that the MSP's acceleration is pure excess. Finally, completely, w/o any equivocation whatsoever, the brakes are too. The best $16K I could spend on this car.

Next I'll find some LA Crest roads to test out the suspension improvements. It's going to be harder to verify the 200mph+ unlock. :D

Just enjoy!

Last edited:
Getting into instant ABS in 80 degree hwy heat from just normal hwy speeds is just bonkers.
It’s just what the old stock pads do too.

Engaging abs from highway speeds when cold (or even up to 5 times as tested by car and driver) was never an issue.

Overheating from track, or other high speed and heavy repetitive, use is the problem for which track pack brake pads, fluid and lines are the solution.

Dope ev. Looks like they're using ST rotors as well. 10mm bigger up front than the TP rotors, smaller by 20mm in the rear. $100K more money than the MSP when it was released. TP's Brembo calipers def look hotter. :D

Screenshot 2023-09-22 10.32.39 AM.png

Please, help to answer 2 questions before I put the trigger to order CCB for my 2023 Plaid.

1. Which parts Tesla will change in order to install CCB - brake rotors, callipers and pads only, or, I heard in some sources, they need to change front upper control arms too, which lead to more harsh ride?
2. Which wheels I can use with CCB. OEM Plaid 21" will fit? And OEM 19" will not fit anymore, so I need to change it to at least 20" for winter use, however what are the parameters of 20" wheels to fit on CCB? Any particular model and/or brand?

Thank you.

Please, help to answer 2 questions before I put the trigger to order CCB for my 2023 Plaid.

1. Which parts Tesla will change in order to install CCB - brake rotors, callipers and pads only, or, I heard in some sources, they need to change front upper control arms too, which lead to more harsh ride?
2. Which wheels I can use with CCB. OEM Plaid 21" will fit? And OEM 19" will not fit anymore, so I need to change it to at least 20" for winter use, however what are the parameters of 20" wheels to fit on CCB? Any particular model and/or brand?

Thank you.
Builds 3/22 and prior will need all four corner updated knuckles. Supposedly these actually provide a better ride and are used on builds 4/2022 and after.

The kit also comes with new Ventilated dust shields and copper infused brake lines as well a two new harnesses for the track packs rear electronic parking brakes. DOT 5.1 brake fluid is also included for the multiple fluid flushes it will take.

21” Arachnids fit. 19” Tempest’s will not. Some aftermarket wheel companies such as Signature have measured the required setbacks needed. Many have not.

Last edited:
Reactions: it_manager

Thank you.
My car was the guinea pig for the Signature 20" wheels. They turned out great and very happy with the fitment. I did go 20" square so I can rotate the wheels and extend tire life and keep the treadwear warranty at its original amount. Couldn't be happier. The wheels saved a ton of weight per corner too.

501 Plaid.jpg

Reactions: NeuroRad
Did anyone actually already get the track pack in Europe (Apart from some YouTubers)? I ordered it but cancelled it after Tesla sitting on my money for a few months, without being able to say anything about delivery times.
Hi Snirpo, I did placed at day one my order for the CCB's, I'm in Belgium and the process went super smooth.
Two weeks after ordering and prepaying the Track Pack brakes the installation was done and even within one day 😎
They started between 8-9 o'clock and finished off just before the shop's closing time.

My luck was the same SC did also the installation of what seemed to be the very first installation in the EU.
Fyi we're talking about some months ago already, these CCB's are onto the car since June.

Couldn't be more happy with the result.
Even the initial bite when the kit is still cold isn't of much annoyance. You'll get so fast used to the improved pedal travel as well 😉

Can you describe more specifically?
Hi bhzmark, my experience with both PCCB any these CCB's, they show a reduced initial bite when cold.
You'll need a bit more pressure to achieve the same deceleration compared to steel/stock at the first time you hit the brakes.
On the otherhand the pedalfeel is much more firm, showing a real linear travel and giving confidence.
You'll get used to this change very fast.
All positive and my pov, the Plaid should come OEM with these CCB's. Not talking about the LR as i'm guessing there's a different expectation onto the car's potential. Just my guess.
BR,

Long story short, I need to replace two of my rear track pack calipers, L and R (AP Racing).

Does anyone have the part #s handy for all four calipers for posterity's sake? I'm also looking for the brake fluid part # and how many cans you need to do a full brake bleed. Eventually, for all, this is a maintenance item.

I'll find out if Tesla Parts sells Track Pack parts individually to owners who purchased the kit.

Thanks!

User. Error. :D
Please enlighten us so we don’t make the same mistake, or was it installed wrong?

FINALLY scheduled for my track pack install on Thursday. Original date was August 5th. I’m sure there will be more delays with the install but it is what it is.

I’m currently running a Brembo GTS big brake kit on the front with 6 piston Brembo caliper and 405” steel rotors. Curios to see how the CCB compares to this. Will post comparison thoughts here.

P.S. The full front Brembo kit and rear MPP rotors and pads are now for sale. Pm me if interested. Will be posting an ad soon. Also works on Model X. The Brembo kit was put on in May of this year and never tracked.

I am sad to say that it likely will be an expensive error. Sorry it happened.

Thanks for the condolences man.

Track Pack brakes are amazing especially when seen in three dimensions. Truly top shelf components. They def did a lot of work to shave off excess material for the lightest, stiffest setup possible given cost constraints. Non-OEM can't touch this.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 4.19.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-10 4.19.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-10 4.20.04 PM.png

My rear calipers got cosmetically damaged. I'm OCD enough where a repaint won't appease the OCD. I want a new set.

Now we'll see when sht happens, what happens. Hopefully getting replacement parts, even those as esoteric as AP Racing calipers, won't be such a drag since Tesla can track that bought Track Pack brakes.

I just need help with the rear caliper part numbers and the brake fluid. I'm assuming none of the associated hardware is one time use. If sourcing parts becomes a major source of pain, then I know this MSP will be my first and last.

I already stopped by Alhambra service center this morning. The rep said he'd have an update for me in two hours. It's now 6 hours past. We're probably flying the plane as we're assembling it.

Last edited: