Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

The precut always looks bad because a good film is tucked under the panel where there are gaps, but precuts always end short of the gap. The untucked precut edge starts to collect dirt and begins to lift.

if you look at their options you can click and select "wrap edges" so they will add material so you can do that. Everyone start from precut patterns created by Xpel and modify them from there.

Reactions: razh
Upvote 0
my plan for picking up my car is to bring a couple rolls of gorilla double sided tape and the Amazon universal mud guards and put them on right at the Tesla location before driving home. Then I will search for a longer term solution which will probably involve drilling and better mud guards.

Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
Has anyone found template cut PPF sufficiently larger than the stock bits on the leading edge of the rear fenders? I'd like to swap the stock stuff out for something that will keep the rocks off the area just above the OEM bits Tesla put on the car.
I made PPF using the same size/model as the original Tesla one. Can you email me at [email protected] to discuss what exactly you have in mind, I can easily do it 👍 I use XPEL and 3M. You can see the current fenders PPF that I sell here:

Upvote 0
The piece you show in the link but going up almost to the top of the fender to keep that little bit of forward facing fender from getting chipped up. Maybe 5 inches or so higher and narrowing the whole time if that makes sense. I just cut a piece and added it above the original Tesla piece. I also put a 6 inch long rectangle on to cover the forward facing part of the rocker panel just below as it was getting chipped up.

Reactions: juanmedina
Upvote 0
The piece you show in the link but going up almost to the top of the fender to keep that little bit of forward facing fender from getting chipped up. Maybe 5 inches or so higher and narrowing the whole time if that makes sense. I just cut a piece and added it above the original Tesla piece. I also put a 6 inch long rectangle on to cover the forward facing part of the rocker panel just below as it was getting chipped up.
Okay I will do the model for this, test it and all and release it on my store in a day or two. Will let you know when I have it 👍

Reactions: Phlier and bhzmark
Upvote 0
So, was your idea for something like this? (in terms of size/fitment... needless to say some refinements are still in order)
PS This is just cheap vinyl I use for experiments, not the actual PPF :)

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpeg
    IMG_1966.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: Phlier and cwanja
Upvote 0
Yep! That's it but in my case I was too lazy to remove the original bit so I put a section on top. Please post a link if you end up cutting these as I would gladly redo mine for a professionally cut bit of PPF :)

You may also consider a small rectangle (6" long ??) for the rocker that jets out just below the piece you show in the picture. I did this section as it was already chipping up.

Upvote 0
Yep! That's it but in my case I was too lazy to remove the original bit so I put a section on top. Please post a link if you end up cutting these as I would gladly redo mine for a professionally cut bit of PPF :)

You may also consider a small rectangle (6" long ??) for the rocker that jets out just below the piece you show in the picture. I did this section as it was already chipping up.
Will do, have to refine it a bit and test it with real PPF (just to make sure that it can be applied without heat gun and no bubbles, as there are some curves there). When done I will post here 👍
PS Will also experiment with the rocker area...

Upvote 0

I am done with the bigger model (fenders + rocker). Here is a picture of installation with cheap vinyl (not PPF) that I use for experiments. Will shoot a video tomorrow and upload it on the store.

You can also buy it here if you want it:

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpeg
    IMG_1987.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Love
Reactions: cwanja
Upvote 0
I am done with the bigger model (fenders + rocker). Here is a picture of installation with cheap vinyl (not PPF) that I use for experiments. Will shoot a video tomorrow and upload it on the store.

You can also buy it here if you want it:

Hi, just ordered.. Do you have any advice on removing the factory PPF, or does it just peel right off?

Reactions: impastu
Upvote 0
Hi, just ordered.. Do you have any advice on removing the factory PPF, or does it just peel right off?
Thanks, will ship later today 👍
Factory one - peels off easily. If you get any glue residue I recommend Goo Gone:
Goo Gone Adhesive Remover - 8 Ounce - Surface Safe Adhesive Remover Safely Removes Stickers Labels Decals Residue Tape Chewing Gum Grease Tar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IBN...abc_EK4W8BWN1GFPX1F197E2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also I still have the factory one on one side, will shoot a video this week showing how easy it is to remove and post it on the page of the fenders PPF product. (Once you receive it there will be instructions with QR code, just scan the QR for quick access to the page)

Reactions: ct101 and impastu
Upvote 0
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles View attachment 685948his?
In Europe mudflaps are mandatory and come standard. I installed aftermarket mudflaps on every vehicle I bought. On the Tesla I also installed PPF (the had 14 miles when I did it :) ). With much driving on snowed highways I see quite a bit of hits on the front bumper PPF but nothing on the quarter panels. In fact none of my cars had that (some of them had quite a bit of a “flare”). Mudflaps do work - strongly recommended.

Upvote 0